Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,198,272 times

Advertisements

The Democratic primaries will be a minor sideshow.

The real spectacle will be the Republican primaries as the True Conservatives and Republicans With Dignity mount a primary challenge to the lying, dishonest, and unstable Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,121,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

The real spectacle will be the Republican primaries as the True Conservatives and Republicans With Dignity mount a primary challenge to the lying, dishonest, and unstable Trump.
I would so love to see that. The only question I have is, do such Conservatives/Republicans still exist? I've seen no sign of any in the last few years.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:15 AM

14,488 posts, read 6,129,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

You kidding?

The Democratic primary will be bloody and vicious with each candidate doing their best to our left each other and likely lasting all the way until July

There likely won’t be any Republican primary

Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,561,479 times
Entrepreneur Andrew Yang is another Democrat presidential candidate, who is running on giving every US citizen a 'universal basic income' of $1,000 a month, which he says is necessary because artificial intelligence and robotics are going to eliminate most jobs:
Democratic 2020 hopeful Andrew Yang campaigns on universal basic income[/SIZE]

If candidates are going to be rewarded for outside-the-box thinking in 2020, then don’t write off Andrew Yang’s underdog bid for president.

The 43-year-old entrepreneur and political newcomer has become a familiar face in Iowa, where he has centered his fledgling campaign on giving every U.S. citizen $1,000 per month. Mr. Yang’s sales pitch is anchored in an apocalyptic warning: The coming rise of robots, artificial intelligence and automation will eliminate truck driving and retail jobs across the country, and it demands that elected leaders adopt a “new economic vision.”
More at the link.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,748,433 times
“Clown car” eh? Funny I remember liberals saying the exact same thing about the field of candidates for the 2016 Republican primary as if it were a disadvantage going into the general election....and we all know how that turned out.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:16 AM

In case anyone was wondering who will challenge Joe Biden in the Democrat's 'Establishment' bracket, there are likely to be several, including very possibly former Virginia Governor and Clintonista Terry McAuliffe.

Clinton buddy McAuliffe: 50% chance I'll challenge Trump in 2020

I know that Biden is in the lead in the polls at this point, being Obama's former Vice President and all. However, he is also very old, and he looks it, too. Further, Biden did not run in 2016, and it is not clear how much he really wants to do this at this stage.

In my opinion, Joe Biden is very beatable - even within the establishment bracket - should a sufficiently skilled and resourced candidate that the Democrat establishment trusts to do their bidding come along to take his place. In fact, it might be that if there were a couple of solid alternatives in this category by the time Biden has to make his decision (Biden will be one of the last in, if he runs), he might just decide to watch this whole thing play out from his easy chair in Delaware.

Terry McAuliffe is just sch a candidate. It appears that he is trying to get a sense of whether he will have enough financial backing to make a serious contest of this. If he thinks he can, he will be in. Unlike some of these characters, McAuliffe could actually win the nomination. If he runs and has a substantial portion of the establishment behind him, I believe he will be a force to be reckoned with.

The Billion dollar question for McAuliffe is whether Hillary Clinton is going to run, yet again, or not. If she does, that will suck a lot of the oxygen out of the room for a candidacy by McAuliffe. Not that he cannot overcome that, because barring some sort of truly unimaginable shenanigans by Clinton and the DNC, she is not going to be successful again. Then again, if she decides not to run, then she becomes a potential kingmaker, and Terry McAuliffe could very well be the beneficiary off that. With the Clinton's in his corner, even covertly, he would in my opinion then become one of the early favorites to win the nomination.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:36 AM

A Democrat party county chair in Iowa says that Elizabeth Warren is 'Very shrill' and that she needs to tone down the anti-Trump rhetoric:
Iowa Democratic County Chair: Warren Is ‘Very Shrill,’ Could ‘Put Some People Off’

A Democratic Iowa county chair called Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D., Mass.) "very shrill" in a new report as the presidential hopeful descends on the critical caucus state for the weekend. Jim Eliason, the chair of the Buena Vista County Democrats in northwestern Iowa, told U.S. News and World Report that her tone on President Donald Trump and in general was "very shrill," a term often decried as sexist against outspoken female candidates.

"She's very shrill. I think that's going to put some people off. But I think that, you know, she says a lot of things that need to be said," Eliason said. "The tone she's been talking about Trump is very shrill. I think that kind of rhetoric needs to be used very, very sparingly. If I were Elizabeth Warren I would be thinking about, how can I speak to rural voters in the Midwest in Trump country? Every Democratic candidate for president has got to tell themselves Iowa is winnable, but we can't do it the way Clinton did it."
While this comment happens to be about E-War, it could just as easily be said about quite a few other Democrat politicians, including a number of expected candidates for the Democrat nomination, and also much if not most of the mass media, who function rather openly now as the leaders of the Democrat left #Resistance.

This is good advice by this Democrat county chair who lives in flyover (Trump) country. I predict that if Trump loses, it will be to a Democrat nominee who took this advice to heart. It is not clear to me that there are very many potential candidates like this in the queue, or that a candidate who takes this to advice to heart can actually win the nomination for the Democrats this time. But, there is my prediction anyway.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,843,404 times
The Clown Car is the GOP Senate who is afraid of Trump.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:21 PM

16,344 posts, read 8,137,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The Clown Car is the GOP Senate who is afraid of Trump.
McConnell looks like a clown. With his turkey neck and coke bottle glasses.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmntc10 View Post
the most winnable election in my lifetime and i was born in 84.

any capable candidate should be able to defeat trump easily.
Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections