Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 03:04 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,722,533 times

Advertisements

His whole purpose for running was to stop Sanders.

Warren's handling his light work for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 03:32 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,535,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Interesting explanation of where you are coming from Spartacus.
Thanks. What is your angle? Do you identify yourself with a political party? Or do you have some sort of other identifiable factors that motivate you to choose who you vote for? If so, what are they?

Also, do you have open primaries in your state? If so, what are your thoughts on moving back and forth between the parties in these sorts of contests?

Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 PM

21,956 posts, read 9,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
All modern day Presidents get rich after they leave office. Trump is enriching himself mightily during his tenure.

My hope is that we can change away from this guy.
No, he isn't? How is he enriching himself? You people just go around posting lies hoping some low information voter will believe it.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:48 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,098,804 times
Delaney actually sounds half normal on the 'View' right now.

I actually got sick to my stomach for a second thinking I could actually vote for him.

But nah...it ain't gonna happen. Even if he was the guy that got picked, I just will never ever trust another democrat again as long as I live. Their lies since 1965 (and well before that) were the impetus for the terminal cancer America now has.

Trump is infinitely better to trust for the next SCOTUS appointments (hopefully three more) than any of the Dems ever would be.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 AM

8,506 posts, read 8,821,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
... What is your angle? Do you identify yourself with a political party? ...

I vote Democratic. I had Republican parents though. I was activist (for policies and party) but never counterculture. I am moderate / pragmatic about most things but I am pretty strong about taking steps to adjust runaway economic unfairness. And at the same time, I have cared about deficit spending more than most. I have always had issues with the Democratic party regarding habits and tactics, standards & performance, but not so much on goals.

I usually can find my candidate but am having a harder time this season. On personal preference I lean toward folks like Bullock, Bennet (maybe Inslee or Klochubar) but low polling is an issue. Hard to get worked up for a candidate if they are way down and you aren't in an early voting state. I am not super excited by any of the top 5-7 on personal evaluation or electability. I may end up voting for one in the primary and would in the general election assuming one of them gets the nomination. It is a long time til the actual vote gets cast. So, for now, I am still uncommitted.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-13-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I vote Democratic. I had Republican parents though. I was activist (for policies and party) but never counterculture. I am moderate / pragmatic about most things but I am pretty strong about taking steps to adjust runaway economic unfairness. And at the same time, I have cared about deficit spending more than most. I have always had issues with the Democratic party regarding habits and tactics, standards & performance, but not so much on goals.

I usually can find my candidate but am having a harder time this season. On personal preference I lean toward folks like Bullock, Bennet (maybe Inslee or Klochubar) but low polling is an issue. Hard to get worked up for a candidate if they are way down and you aren't in an early voting state. I am not super excited by any of the top 5-7 on personal evaluation or electability. I may end up voting for one in the primary and would in the general election assuming one of them gets the nomination. It is a long time til the actual vote gets cast. So, for now, I am still uncommitted.
What about Howard Schultz? He is a Democrat running as an independent. Does he interest you at all?

Old 06-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Nope. At least, not yet. Not interested in him as an independent in this context so far and unlikely ever.

Not, after being a Sonics fan for decades.

I might have given at least a fair look if he had run as a Democrat but it would have been unlikely to end up in support of him over everybody else.

I dunno his platform in detail. But making coffee a big deal and more expensive to make him very wealthy is not especially impressive to me.

Now if it is October 2020 and he is leading for electoral college votes in 20 states and the Democratic candidate only has 10... maybe. And the chance of that is less than 1%. Or 1% of 1%.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM

I went to his site and he does a pretty good job of telling his personal story. But... there is no issues page or issues discussion of any kind. I'll look for articles and videos but having no policy page is not conducive to me considering a candidate. Any candidate.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:27 PM

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...can_dream.html

So Schultz is proud to offer health care and college benefits to his workers but is indignant when Warren wants to give health care and college benefits to everyone when most companies won't do it?

Sounds like he wants to get his large share before giving back, then decide how much is enough to give. He want to get credit for giving it and wants a competitive advantage for it. Morning Joe & Co. pressed him on what was a "right". It is still unclear how much he sees as a right vs. "a noble voluntary gift".

For "tax reform" and "sensible immigration"? Doesn't mean anything to me without specifics.

My understanding is he has not yet spent significant money to start getting on ballots as an independent. Or forming a third party. He didn't have much staff and just laid most of it off. So far, he has not been serious enough about this. Decide, then I'll deal with it.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-13-2019 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...can_dream.html

So Schultz is proud to offer health care and college benefits to his workers but is indignant when Warren wants to give health care and college benefits to everyone when most companies won't do it?

Sounds like he wants to get his large share before giving back, then decide how much is enough to give. He want to get credit for giving it and wants a competitive advantage for it. Morning Joe & Co. pressed him on what was a "right". It is still unclear how much he sees as a right vs. "a noble voluntary gift".

For "tax reform" and "sensible immigration"? Doesn't mean anything to me without specifics.

My understanding is he has not yet spent significant money to start getting on ballots as an independent. Or forming a third party. He didn't have much staff and just laid most of it off. So far, he has not been serious enough about this. Decide, then I'll deal with it.
Schultz appears to be running as an independent a-la Ross Perot. He is not talking about starting a third party. It serves little purpose for a third party candidate to get in the race two years out, as they have no primary process to battle through and no party to win a nomination from. Third party candidates can do everything they could reasonably want to do in the last six months.

I guess you are suggesting that he might not actually run. Well, we will see. But there really is not anything for him to do right now, even if he is running. And he has stated that he will be back after Labor day, which seems pretty sensible to me, except that is still pretty early too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections