Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 07:29 PM

4,486 posts, read 3,841,972 times

Advertisements

The final four will probably be Bernie, Hillary, Joe B, and Elizabeth. BORING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,553,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
The final four will probably be Bernie, Hillary, Joe B, and Elizabeth. BORING!
While maintaining a realistic balance between the left and the center is certainly important for the Democrats in 2020, there is a third axis which seems to keep being overlooked. That is the "Identity politics" and "Political correctness" axis. It is the issue first and foremost of race, but also a number of other factors as well.

There are millions of potential Democrat voters who positively live for this stuff and who see the world and politics through this lens. These people are not going to passively sit by and cheer on a contest between Bernie and Beto and E-War, or between Joe B., Hillary and Bernie, while the issues and priorities that they believe are all important are given short shift.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:42 PM

14,729 posts, read 14,715,394 times
So far I like Governor Inslee, but it's too early to follow the 2020 election when so much needs to be done in Congress right now. The only one I will refuse to vote for (unless it's against Trump) will be Sen. Gillibrand.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:57 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,476,466 times
Clown car, how appropriate

Attached Thumbnails
Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids-facebook_1546701933690.jpg  

Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,003,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The whole Beto phenomenon leaves me scratching my head. I get it that he came within single digits of beating Ted Cruz in Texas - after being backed by a tsunami of out of state money in what turned into the most expensive senate race in US history and in the process outspending Senator Cruz by a huge margin. But he lost and he will not win the state of Texas if he were to somehow happen to win the Democrat nomination for president.

Beto appears to me to be the beneficiary of huge amounts of free news coverage and ad spending. But if he has any sort of a nationally attractive platform or agenda, it is a complete mystery to me what it might be. In fact, if he runs as expected, I will be sincerely surprised if his campaign agenda is not the same sort of focus group generated pap that Hillary Clinton tried to trawl out to the American people, when she was not calling names and engaging in personal attacks, which was the true central theme of her campaign.

So, who is this guy? Correct me if I am wrong, but he is an ideological lefty that will have to compete for the same votes as Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, and whoever else comes out of the woodwork to compete to be the champion of that bracket of the Democrat contest. He has lots of money and he has decent name recognition, but not clearly as good or better than Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren on either front.

Some say that Beto is 'like Obama'. Perhaps in that Beto has no real world experience to recommend him to any position of power or responsibility, and that he is largely unknown and can be crafted like a blank canvas because of that, he is 'like Obama'. But in the most critical way, he is not. Obama would never have made it past the first four primaries if it had not been for his skin color and the fact that the Democrats wanted to vote for someone because of their race. Beto is not black and he is not going to be the first anything. These are the characteristics that made Obama successful more than anything else.

What is it aside from the cheers of some among the CNN and MSNBC crowd that sets Beto apart as someone that should vault him to the front of a 20+ person field of Democrat candidates for President of the United States? I really am not seeing it.

Obama was a diamond in the rough. Texan here to speak on the Betomania. In Texas, unless it's a big city, Democrats don't really have a snowballs chance. West of San Antonio is the sticks and Deliverance,TX. I've driven through Vidor, Orange and all of East Texas and it's still a "keep the doors locked and drive the speed limit and keep on going to freedom to stop for a bathroom break" it's THAT hick. West Texas has tons of them to.

Beto didn't care and that made him noticable. He KNEW he was a long shot. That he was really just wasting time and gas going to counties and cities he had no chance. But he tried because he wanted to let people know he's for TEXAS and not just the big cities. That made people here really sit up and notice. Because we were all saying wow, what a waste of gas going to blood red Texas.

Cruz is awful. I can't even look at that man's face on TV it turns my stomach and his voice too.

Beto actually took the time and cared. That's enough to really make people sit up and notice mainstream America.

He has a shot...he's a white man. After 45, no woman or minority has a chance anymore. It's a white man's world again. At least for oh 30 years or so...

Old 01-05-2019, 11:57 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,651,402 times
Love all the experts on here. Wow, where did you get your indoctrination? Maybe they went to Trump University? We all see what a FAILURE this president is, yet the CD experts as always ,justify it. I guess you can’t fix stupid....

Old 01-06-2019, 12:23 AM

14,729 posts, read 14,715,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

He has a shot...he's a white man. After 45, no woman or minority has a chance anymore. It's a white man's world again. At least for oh 30 years or so...
I'm not sure about that...people would vote Obama again in a heartbeat. You're right in what makes Beto likeable is the fact he goes to all those tiny towns to let people know he cares about them too...that's what helped Trump win over rural America and also why Bernie is popular across the country. Obama won his first primary (Iowa) for the same reason.
I don't think Beto is electable, yet, because of his inexperience and the fact he'll be seen as a guy who lost to Cruz. Maybe he can run for governor next.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:32 AM

10,222 posts, read 7,626,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
UGH what a rogues gallery filled with Far Left extremists and not to mention what the Dems used to be opposed to, the rich old angry white guy...

The Dems are still working hard to destroy Trump and sap from his supporters by making them out to be a bunch of racist deplorables which means that we will probably be looking at a Democrat win in 2020 and then given the front runners on your list OP LORD HELP US!
The new Democrats look like America. It's who you see when you walk down the streets of America. It's about time we started having real representatives of America.

Anyone who has a problem with Native Americans in Congress doesn't know what America is about and is certainly not a real American.

A record number of women, finally. Republicans, by contrast, have the same number of women that they had decades ago. As if time has stood still for them.

A few people who are bisexual or gay, like many people in America. A couple of Muslims, one who came here legally as a child refugee from Somalia. That is what America is all about. That child studied hard, worked hard, got an excellent education, did well, and now has been elected to the House of Representatives of the United States. A real American success story.

Clowns? Hardly. The clown is the orange guy with the gold toilet to crap in, who has never had a job in his life, and ducked doing his duty in Vietnam while being in favor of other people going. The orange clown who has failed repeatedly at business, filed for bankruptcy multiple times, and couldn't get a loan in America so put his hand out to the Russians. No American would vote for a clown Russian puppet with a gold toilet, would he? No, he wouldn't.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:04 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,068,793 times
on November 3, 2020
Trump's going to win and get elected to a second term.

left-of-center people's heads are going to EXPLODE like David Cronenberg's Scanners

Old 01-06-2019, 04:31 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,358,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The new Democrats look like America. It's who you see when you walk down the streets of America. It's about time we started having real representatives of America.

Anyone who has a problem with Native Americans in Congress doesn't know what America is about and is certainly not a real American.

A record number of women, finally. Republicans, by contrast, have the same number of women that they had decades ago. As if time has stood still for them.

A few people who are bisexual or gay, like many people in America. A couple of Muslims, one who came here legally as a child refugee from Somalia. That is what America is all about. That child studied hard, worked hard, got an excellent education, did well, and now has been elected to the House of Representatives of the United States. A real American success story.

Clowns? Hardly. The clown is the orange guy with the gold toilet to crap in, who has never had a job in his life, and ducked doing his duty in Vietnam while being in favor of other people going. The orange clown who has failed repeatedly at business, filed for bankruptcy multiple times, and couldn't get a loan in America so put his hand out to the Russians. No American would vote for a clown Russian puppet with a gold toilet, would he? No, he wouldn't.
"That's what America is about"....

To me, it's about finding competent honest people to run the country. Not fast talking political stooges. So find me some competent people who don't want to run up any more debt, and then we can later worry about whether they are white, black, male or female, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections