Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 08:49 PM

34,218 posts, read 17,299,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I missed the segment but I heard Chuck Todd brought up today on MTP how Dems have a good chance of losing in 2020 because of how leftwing the party is moving.

There isn't a decent human being in their field - they are all very hateful, despicable creatures if you ask me. Very sick people, all of them.
Correct in your assessment, and yes, they will lose, just as their ancestors, the McGovern followers did, when the party went to the luny liberal extreme edge last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 05:57 AM

35,440 posts, read 17,340,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
OK. Next is that the President of the United States is a trash talking, low class slime ball who is tearing this country apart. Joe Biden is past his prime and would be way too old by the time his term ended. We need a classy, smarter, younger person to run for President against Trump.

Things will shake out soon. The Dems will narrow the field by the next debate.
I pretty much agree with you on Biden. As far as Trump, I agree that his style is awful, but much of his substance awesome. As a lifelong and proud Democrat, I have the same desires as you. However, none of the credible candidates fit your bill. Sorry, Senator Bennett and Governor Hickenlooper just are not going to be the nominee.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:55 AM

9,467 posts, read 9,411,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I pretty much agree with you on Biden. As far as Trump, I agree that his style is awful, but much of his substance awesome. As a lifelong and proud Democrat, I have the same desires as you. However, none of the credible candidates fit your bill. Sorry, Senator Bennett and Governor Hickenlooper just are not going to be the nominee.
Personally, I want Mayor Pete Buttigieg to be the nominee. However, it’s early yet and some of the other candidates I mentioned may rise to the top.

I think there is not one thing of substance about Trump, except his weight on the bathroom scale.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:27 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,564,194 times
Kamala Harris calls for federally mandated busing. Talk about "Political Correctness" and "Virtue Signalling" gone amok. Virtually nobody wants this for their kids.

This is just another effort to create racial divisiveness, where none need exist.

Quote:
Kamala Harris Calls for Federally Mandated Busing

On Sunday, Kamala Harris expressed support for new, federally mandated busing policies. “I support busing. Listen, the schools of America are as segregated, if not more segregated, today than when I was in elementary school,” Harris said. “Where states fail to do their duty to ensure equality of all people and in particular where states create or pass legislation that created inequality, there’s no question that the federal government has a role and a responsibility to step up.”

Harris still hasn’t been specific about what exactly the federal government should do. “After her exchange with Mr. Biden on Thursday night, a Harris spokesman said that she supported busing as a method for school integration, but the campaign declined to provide additional information,” the New York Times reported.
Of course a better answer that Harris could get support for across racial lines is to massively expand support for charter schools, which are public schools with charters that allow for more focused and more intense curriculums that are focused in a disciplined manner around achieving higher educational and personal conduct standards.

Charter schools are not for everyone. But they are very popular among both low income minority communities and suburban communities alike.

But the teachers unions do not like them, so many Democrats are reluctant to support them, even though installing better schools where the kids live is a much better solution that trying to force them to go to schools across town that neither they nor their parents generally want them to go to.

This proposal by Harris will stir people up along racial lines, but beyond that, it is as remarkably foolish of a political idea as any candidate on either side is likely to propose either this year, or in any year for many years to come. And of course there are already a number of other remarkably stupid ideas that the Democrat candidates are already proposing. But it this one is at another level of stupid.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:39 PM

Wow. Kamala Harris jumps to #2 in the latest CNN poll, only five points behind Joe Biden, while Pocahontas sneaks into the #3 spot just ahead of Bernie Sanders.

CNN: Biden 22, Harris 17, Warren 15, Sanders 14, Buttigieg 4, Booker 3

I am a bit surprised at how soft the support is for Mayor Pete.

Yes, of course these polls are not determinative at this point, as it is still way too early. But Harris is surely doing a Mary-Lou Retton style tumbling run in celebration, and Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders have to be sweating profusely.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 07-01-2019 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,026,617 times
RCP has Harris at 10%, still behind Biden, Sanders, and Warren. And Harris is 6.3% in both Iowa and NH.

I still say that her background as an over-zealous prosecutor will be her undoing in the primaries. Somebody, most likely Bernie or Warren, is going to pull that arrow out of the quiver if Harris keeps rising in polls. It's going to kill her in terms of identity politics, which will be crucial to her getting the nomination.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,411,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Wow. Kamala Harris jumps to #2 in the latest CNN poll, only five points behind Joe Biden, while Pocahontas sneaks into the #3 spot just ahead of Bernie Sanders.

CNN: Biden 22, Harris 17, Warren 15, Sanders 14, Buttigieg 4, Booker 3

I am a bit surprised at how soft the support is for Mayor Pete.

Yes, of course these polls are not determinative at this point, as it is still way too early. But Harris is surely doing a Mary-Lou Retton style tumbling run in celebration, and Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders have to be sweating profusely.
Neither Harris, nor Biden, nor Sanders will be the nominee. No old guys or a woman (sadly) will be the contender.

I’m also surprised Mayor Pete isn’t higher in the polls, since he raised $24,800,000 in the second quarter. That, with whatever else he raises, might get him to the Feb. 2, 2020 Iowa Caucus. There are some other good people running. It is very early.

I know the Repubs are hoping for a weak Dem candidate. However, polls indicate most Dems (and maybe some Independents in certain states) are very, very interested in electing a candidate who can actually beat Trump.

It’s going to be interesting. Most of the country is not paying attention at this point.

Last edited by staywarm2; 07-01-2019 at 09:30 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Iowa (USA Today): Biden 24, Harris 16, Warren 13, Sanders 9, Buttigieg 6 | More

If Kamala Harris finishes second in Iowa, everybody better buckle up.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:26 PM

Kamala Harris grabs the third rail of American politics by promising to take executive action on gun control if Congress fails to pass something to her liking within 100 days of her taking office.

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/sta...30947444678662

Talk about a bomb thrower. No doubt this will impress many among the anti-gun and anti-US Constitution far left. And we could see another round of "metooism" by many of the other candidates running for the nomination as they all rush to basically embrace their idea as their own.

But this is not going to help them beat Trump in a general election. In fact it is likely to hurt her and the Democrats.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:33 PM

The latest Quinnipiac poll shows Biden over Harris by 2 points. That is a statistical dead heat, fellas.

Quinnipiac: Biden 22, Harris 20, Warren 14, Sanders 13, Buttiegieg 4

And it is also interesting to see support start to consolidate around four candidates. Of course it is still early, but this is very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections