Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 12:44 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times

Advertisements

Wow. Is Beto dropping out of the race? This tweet from the Washington Post's Jenna Johnson seems to suggest that he very well might be:

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/1159112810913292288

If so, that is probably a smart move. Beto has always been nothing more than an empty suit prop used by the Democrat left mass media. He is not cut out for this. And he is not a realistic candidate to compete against John Cornyn, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 02:11 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Wow. Is Beto dropping out of the race? This tweet from the Washington Post's Jenna Johnson seems to suggest that he very well might be:

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/1159112810913292288

If so, that is probably a smart move. Beto has always been nothing more than an empty suit prop used by the Democrat left mass media. He is not cut out for this. And he is not a realistic candidate to compete against John Cornyn, either.
I don't think so. It's more likely Beto wants to stay in his hometown and grieve for a little longer. Most folks do that after people they know die- no one gets over such deaths quickly.

Beto may drop out though. He's dedicated to his people, his town, and his state, and in such distress, Beto may decide he's better off staying home and helping his people instead of continuing his campaign.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't think so. It's more likely Beto wants to stay in his hometown and grieve for a little longer. Most folks do that after people they know die- no one gets over such deaths quickly.

Beto may drop out though. He's dedicated to his people, his town, and his state, and in such distress, Beto may decide he's better off staying home and helping his people instead of continuing his campaign.
"Help his people?"

How is Beto going to "Help his people?" What does that consist of?

Old 08-07-2019, 02:25 PM

21,947 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
"Help his people?"

How is Beto going to "Help his people?" What does that consist of?
I will field this one, Bob.

It means he doesn't have snowballs chance, he knows it and he wants to withdrawal in a way that makes him feel like he is some big hero instead of the empty suit loser that he really is.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:19 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
I think Bennet just moved to the top of my list:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/de...ves-2019-08-07

Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
He's an interesting candidate. Some boxes get checked... others are red flags for me, although I'm a registered republican. The medical, insurance and pharma industry likes him.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:02 PM

So far there are nine Democrats who have qualified for the next (September) presidential debate. The latest is Andrew Wang.

Quote:
Ninth Democratic presidential hopeful qualifies for September debate

Tech entrepreneur and political novice Andrew Yang became the ninth candidate to qualify for the September Democratic presidential primary debate on Thursday, ensuring his spot while many governors and senators in the crowded presidential field appear unlikely to make the stage.

Candidates need at least 130,000 donors and 2% or more support in at least four Democratic National Committee approved polls by Aug. 28 to make the debates scheduled for Sept. 12 and 13, much higher qualification standards than the June and July debates.
Here are the nine candidates that have qualified so far:
  1. Former Vice President Joe Biden
  2. New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker
  3. South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg
  4. California Sen. Kamala Harris
  5. Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar
  6. Former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke
  7. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
  8. Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren
  9. Tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang
There are five more that appear to be possibly in range of qualifying:
  1. Former Housing Secretary Julián Castro
  2. Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard
  3. New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand
  4. Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper
  5. Billionaire investor Tom Steyer
This compares with 20 candidates over two debates last time around. If there are only 10 candidates that qualify, that will create the same format problems as before, just limited to only a single debate.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:31 PM

The debate as a system of candidate selection is a wreck beyond repair.

I think it should be dropped completely and substituted with a better format. There are several alternatives that would work better.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The debate as a system of candidate selection is a wreck beyond repair.

I think it should be dropped completely and substituted with a better format. There are several alternatives that would work better.
I totally agree. This format - used for both Democrats and Republicans alike - appears to be designed to generate one liners and to stimulate interpersonal conflict between the candidates, which is what the networks want.

It is not a good format for informing the public about the candidates, which is what I think the public wants, or at least what they should want. But they are not getting that from this format. It should be changed.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. This format - used for both Democrats and Republicans alike - appears to be designed to generate one liners and to stimulate interpersonal conflict between the candidates, which is what the networks want.

It is not a good format for informing the public about the candidates, which is what I think the public wants, or at least what they should want. But they are not getting that from this format. It should be changed.
Exactly.
As it is now, the debates never give a fair chance to any candidate who is low on the totem pole. Who is high on the totem pole is also far too arbitrary as well.

What really bothers me the most is the possibility of this out-dated, obsolete and corrupted way of making our candidates known to the public could well cost us all our best choices for electing our next President.

As things are now, not only are voters losing some good choices, they are also losing others that could enter the race at a later (and possibly better) time.

Every news channel has the same obligation; they are all allowed their license as a service to the public good of the United States. That means that even if a different forum was to use up more valuable air time, it is an obligation, not an option, to air it.

The debate format came about in 1960, a time when there were only 3 TV networks, all broadcasting over the air only, and all ceasing broadcasting at midnight. The format may have worked well then, and for decades afterwards, but it doesn't work now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections