Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:51 PM

881 posts, read 615,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'm not impressed. He obviously does not realize that our economy is very much on the upswing and unemployment is down. He also has forgotten the fact that President Trump has been a successful businessman for decades. As overcrowded as the Dem field is getting for '20, Yang is just hot air and wasting everyone's time.
He's talking about preparing for the future now.

Manufacturing has already been automated.

Retail, fast-food, clerical, call centers, and truckers are next in five to ten years (he has Silicon Valley connections as an entrepreneur).

You got Trump due to manufacturing alone. Wait 'til the others are lost.

I've been homeless for over two years, two years ago...y'all have no idea what you're up against. We had BLACK & HISPANIC Trump supporters in NYC shelters, never mind the white guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 07:09 PM

26,483 posts, read 15,063,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
He says UBI will cost between 1.3 and 1.8 billion, to be funded by VAT (because VAT is traceable whereas sales taxes are not) especially VAT on robo-truck mileage and the like, cost savings from reduced prison and substance abuse, income taxes from new jobs because businesses will get more business because UBI is spent, and entrepreneurial people starting new businesses with UBI.
Pure BS.

Yang says:

Quote:
Andrew would implement a Universal Basic Income, ‘The Freedom Dividend,’ of $1,000/month, $12,000 a year for every American adult over the age of 18. This is independent of one’s work status or any other factor. This would enable all Americans to pay their bills, educate themselves, start businesses, be more creative, stay healthy, relocate for work, spend time with their children, take care of loved ones, and have a real stake in the future.
218 million people aged 18 and up x $12,000 a year...

That is over $2.6 Trillion a year right there.

Andy Yang is proposing Medicare for all...some groups peg that as a $3.26 Trillion per year every year expenditure...the best estimates are only $1.38 Trillion a year - every year.

These two plans combined would roughly equal or exceed total federal spending for 2019 of $4.4 Trillion.

So with these Andy Yang has already doubled the national expenses...oh, but he would cut back in other areas? He will also increase spending in other areas.

Andy Yang proposes:

-funding local journalism

-Pay for "hundreds" of new American Journalism Fellows in each state.

-Pay for free financial counseling for all

-Pay to fight climate change

-Pay to create journalism ombudsman to sort out fake news

-pay to lower community college costs

-pay to equip every cop with a camera and equipment

-pay to revitalize vacant malls

-pay to increase teacher salaries

-pay to increase mental health funding

-pay to increase congressional earmarks

-pay to have tax day be a federal holiday where they show off government projects

-pay for every preschooler to go to preschool

-pay to increase and rebuild American infrastructure $$$$$$$$$

Etc.....etc.....etc.....

spend spend spend

free free free

And yet this big spender....says less than $6 Billion to increase the wall length on the southern border, which is $0.006 Trillion in a one time payment is "too expensive."

BS from a BS politician.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/

Old 02-26-2019, 07:21 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,971,365 times
I responded to a thread concerning this wannabee president, on another forum.
I stated then, as now, he is not presidential material, but would be a definite asset to any administration as commerce secretary.
I think he would be a great commerce secretary.

Bob.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,136 times
I like that he cares about those who've lost their jobs and those who might lose their jobs to bots, but I think his ideas are a little too utopian to work.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:54 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,897,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'm not impressed. He obviously does not realize that our economy is very much on the upswing and unemployment is down. He also has forgotten the fact that President Trump has been a successful businessman for decades. As overcrowded as the Dem field is getting for '20, Yang is just hot air and wasting everyone's time.
The problem in this country is there are far too many people who, like yourself, aren't very keen on long-term thinking. That is precisely why we're in the mess we're in.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:38 PM

838 posts, read 565,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The "stupid" idea is universal basic income and even dumber are it's proponents. They've already conducted studies and test on this in multiple countries and communities and in every single one it failed miserably.
Has it failed in Alaska? "Oil-Dividends" are essentially the same-thing Yang is attempting to achieve nationally. The way i see it if anyone could go to work knowing that they have an extra $1k that can take care of their bills/rent etc. I truly feel it would have a positive impact on everyone by boosting morale and placing less stress on our over-worked population, I specially like the idea of it being 18+ since it equally assists students/graduates and it prevents abuse unlike our current welfare system which rewards the increase of family members.

One thousand dollars isn't enough for anyone to just 'quit' working, I'm sure some will try it and quickly regret it specially since as Yang stated the dividend is reduced if benefits are received.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:49 PM

838 posts, read 565,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am not a fan...if you look at all of his proposals he could increase federal government spending by over $4,000 Billion a year every year, but he thinks less than $6 Billion in a one off for more wall funding is too expensive.

Sounds like more of the same politician double talk.
Look at his proposals and where the money is going, A ****ty wall isn't going to do absolutely nothing for our economy. immigrants/Drugs etc. will always come-in whether via Drones, Boats, Planes, Tunnels etc. they will ALWAYS come into the country; Hasn't anyone learned anything from the 'war on drugs'?, but "Surely a wall will do it this time".

Lastly no mention of this wall ever having sophisticated tunnel detecting tech, In which case if the wall DOES NOT include any of this tech we would've been better off funding the U.S. Border Patrol and providing them with higher tech surveillance equipment which would cost LESS.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
I don't know if his plan works, but at least he thinks about the future and starts to plan for it.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
It's really not a new idea at all. Germany tried something similar in 1923 and we all know how well that turned out.
In 1923 there were no computer programs or robots.
The power of production determines the relations of production.

I am not saying his idea is necessarily realistic, but the argument that "XX tried it yy years ago but failed" is a bad one.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:03 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,529 times
I had not heard of Andrew Yang prior to this thread. I just read up on his proposals. While I don’t agree on many of his policies, I like enough of them to hope to see him rise in polls. So far he’s the only dem candidate I’d seriously consider voting for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections