Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This is not fair.

Firstly I'm not a progressive, I'm a leftist. Secondly I never criticized her race, I don't care what her background is, I am only saying that for someone who is solely focusing on identity politics as her announcement video showed, she is being deceitful about her background as an AA to win more votes.

I don't think identity should be the focus of the election, but people who want to distract from problems of power do. I personally don't care if that's the focus of her campaign, but in that case she should be upfront about herself and stop playing political games.

edit: This is who she is, not some black activist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8g9I-MQl2k
I didn't say you 'criticized' her race; I said you were attacking her based on her race and you were.

She has been in the race about 2 days and you have proclaimed she is 'solely focused' on identity politics.

You have not one clue what her policy positions are or will be.

So YOU are focused on her race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 04:22 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I didn't say you 'criticized' her race; I said you were attacking her based on her race and you were.

She has been in the race about 2 days and you have proclaimed she is 'solely focused' on identity politics.

You have not one clue what her policy positions are or will be.

So YOU are focused on her race.
No, read my post, I’m not focused on her race, I’m focused on her actions.

Basing her campaign in Baltimore, speaking about AA’s like she is one, and making an announcement video solely focused on identify was her own doing.

And it’s deceitful, that’s not who she is. That is not who she’s been for a very long time. She is a second generation politician of Indian decent who has allied herself with the Bay Area power brokers, and made her career as a prosecutor jailing poor people.

Even if identity politics is your focus, she does not represent racial causes.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:45 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
I listened to her, and although she presents stances on issues that are to the left of much of me, I would continue to listen to her.

She is smart, attractive, personable, and I thought laid the issues that face the USA on the table in a well thought out way. She could beat Trump, in fact, I think she would beat him handily.

However it depends who else gets into the race. Sanders? Yesterday's man. Hillary? Please no!! Brooker? Maybe, I'd have to hear him. O'Rourke? Yup, I think he would place well, although I have not heard him on national issues. Bloomfield? No, but a hell of a choice for VP I think. Warren? No, please, not her! Biden? I like him, a lot, but too old.

I know there are a bunch more out there. I would lean towards Harris, O'Rourke and maybe Brooker. But my mind is malleable on the choices. It's way to early.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
This is not fair.

Firstly I'm not a progressive, I'm a leftist. Secondly I never criticized her race, I don't care what her background is, I am only saying that for someone who is solely focusing on identity politics as her announcement video showed, she is being deceitful about her background as an AA to win more votes.
Nope, your argument was she isnt black because she isnt the decedent of a slave. But that isnt even what being black in america is.

like it or not, racist jsut see skin color and dont care what your parents were,so my experience as a decedent of slaves is likely similar to hers even as the child of an indian and a Jamaican.

Quote:
I don't think identity should be the focus of the election, but people who want to distract from problems of power do. I personally don't care if that's the focus of her campaign, but in that case she should be upfront about herself and stop playing political games.

edit: This is who she is, not some black activist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8g9I-MQl2k
Take your own advice, talk about her policies, not her skin color or your personal definition of "Being black",

Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
No, read my post, I’m not focused on her race, I’m focused on her actions.

Basing her campaign in Baltimore, speaking about AA’s like she is one,
and making an announcement video solely focused on identify was her own doing.

And it’s deceitful, that’s not who she is. That is not who she’s been for a very long time. She is a second generation politician of Indian decent who has allied herself with the Bay Area power brokers, and made her career as a prosecutor jailing poor people.

Even if identity politics is your focus, she does not represent racial causes.
You continue to try and define what black is, and you have no authority to.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You continue to try and define what black is, and you have no authority to.
And you are not. Her parents are Indian and Jamaican. Neither African. Get a grip.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Nope, your argument was she isnt black because she isnt the decedent of a slave. But that isnt even what being black in america is.

like it or not, racist jsut see skin color and dont care what your parents were,so my experience as a decedent of slaves is likely similar to hers even as the child of an indian and a Jamaican.

Take your own advice, talk about her policies, not her skin color or your personal definition of "Being black",
1. Of course other races can face racism. But that doesn't make you an African American. My parent's are Iranian. If I face discrimination, that doesn't make me an African American.

2. You should pay attention. She ignores her policy because she can't win on that. She can't win defending the MIC and global financial institutions, she focuses on Identity.

If she's going to do that rather than her horrible record, then she should be called out on her deceit.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:43 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I listened to her, and although she presents stances on issues that are to the left of much of me, I would continue to listen to her.

She is smart, attractive, personable, and I thought laid the issues that face the USA on the table in a well thought out way. She could beat Trump, in fact, I think she would beat him handily.

However it depends who else gets into the race. Sanders? Yesterday's man. Hillary? Please no!! Brooker? Maybe, I'd have to hear him. O'Rourke? Yup, I think he would place well, although I have not heard him on national issues. Bloomfield? No, but a hell of a choice for VP I think. Warren? No, please, not her! Biden? I like him, a lot, but too old.

I know there are a bunch more out there. I would lean towards Harris, O'Rourke and maybe Brooker. But my mind is malleable on the choices. It's way to early.
I agree. I saw her speech today and she is very poised, has a presidential demeanor, and a forceful and eloquent speaker. Her law enforcement background makes her strong on security. I'm not going to predict the outcome of the primaries but I will predict she will be a serious contender.

The Willie Brown thing -- so what if they dated, over 20 years ago, no one cares.

The "Black" thing -- doesn't matter, she is undeniably a person of color. Non issue.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I agree. I saw her speech today and she is very poised, has a presidential demeanor, and a forceful and eloquent speaker. Her law enforcement background makes her strong on security. I'm not going to predict the outcome of the primaries but I will predict she will be a serious contender.

The Willie Brown thing -- so what if they dated, over 20 years ago, no one cares.

The "Black" thing -- doesn't matter, she is undeniably a person of color. Non issue.
her law enforcement background is actually a problem for many of the left

Old 01-27-2019, 08:17 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Doesn't matter any more than her race or her gender. If Democrats are thinking that all they have to do is put someone up there that looks and sounds good, and checks off some identity boxes, they're going to lose again. If Trump has showed anything, it's that many people don't care if a politician presents well. The American people need substance this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections