Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:37 AM

10,177 posts, read 14,625,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
She seems sharp, and was obviously really great at her job as a prosecutor. However, I don't see her electability or likability translating to voters beyond the extreme left or extreme right coasts.

I would be very surprised if she could compete somewhere like Ohio, Missouri, Georgia or Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I think Bernie is the only one who might beat trump, he appeals to the rust belt voters, but the press is certainly trying to get him not to run.
Isn't Bernie like 85 years old? I mean, we all get there someday, but this dude should be sitting in an armchair reading a book and smoking a pipe at this point LOL

Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 AM

15,699 posts, read 10,491,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Isn't Bernie like 85 years old? I mean, we all get there someday, but this dude should be sitting in an armchair reading a book and smoking a pipe at this point LOL
Bernie looks, moves, and speaks like he is much older than trump, but he is only 5 years older than trump. they are both old.

If going for style, Beto is the man. He has charisma and the "look" of the young democrat, but he is all fluff. Kamala, on the other hand, is not going to appeal to voters outside of the coasts. she is too progressive for middle America.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Bernie looks, moves, and speaks like he is much older than trump, but he is only 5 years older than trump. they are both old.
I was curious and looked up the ages of both.

Bernie Sanders is 77, turning 78 in September of 2019.

Donald Trump is 72, turning 73 in June of this year.

Donald Trump acts 20 years younger than his real age, and has an incredible amount of energy it seems.

However, Bernie seems to have the energy of someone in their mid-70s, and I'm not sure he would have the stamina to be President at this point in his life.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I can see Michael Dukakis redux. The hair will look magnificent stuffed in the tank helmet.
If you could magically rerun the 1988 election with the 2018 electorate, you would likely get a vastly different outcome.

In 1988, G.H.W. Bush received 53% of the popular vote and won a popular vote margin of over 7 million votes over Michael Dukakis while winning the Electoral College by 426 to 111. Bush carried California by 4% points and 350,000 votes. He carried 4 of the 6 states in New England and only lost 4 states that weren’t on a coast (Iowa, Minnesota, West Virginia and Wisconsin). In addition to Michigan and Pennsylvania, he won Connecticut, Illinois, Nevada, New Hampshire, Maine, New Jersey, Illinois, Vermont, Virginia and Colorado.

In the 7 Presidential Elections since, the Republican nominee won the national popular vote 1 time. That was in 2004, when George W. Bush received 50.73% of the popular vote and a popular vote margin of 3 million over John Kerry. The electoral college margin for Dubya was (286-251), decided by the race in Ohio, where Bush won by 118,000 or 2%.

The electorate gets less like 1988 with every POTUS cycle. For better or worse, we won’t see it again.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/

It may not matter that much who the Democrats nominate in 2020. There was a recent poll by Marist that found that 57% of respondents nationally stated that they would definitely not vote for Trump’s re-election under any circumstances.

If that’s remotely true, finding an acceptable alternative is a pretty low bar.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...117-story.html

Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 3,136,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
If you could magically rerun the 1988 election with the 2018 electorate, you would likely get a vastly different outcome.

In 1988, G.H.W. Bush received 53% of the popular vote and won a popular vote margin of over 7 million votes over Michael Dukakis while winning the Electoral College by 426 to 111. Bush carried California by 4% points and 350,000 votes. He carried 4 of the 6 states in New England and only lost 4 states that weren’t on a coast (Iowa, Minnesota, West Virginia and Wisconsin). In addition to Michigan and Pennsylvania, he won Connecticut, Illinois, Nevada, New Hampshire, Maine, New Jersey, Illinois, Vermont, Virginia and Colorado.

In the 7 Presidential Elections since, the Republican nominee won the national popular vote 1 time. That was in 2004, when George W. Bush received 50.73% of the popular vote and a popular vote margin of 3 million over John Kerry. The electoral college margin for Dubya was (286-251), decided by the race in Ohio, where Bush won by 118,000 or 2%.

The electorate gets less like 1988 with every POTUS cycle. For better or worse, we won’t see it again.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/

It may not matter that much who the Democrats nominate in 2020. There was a recent poll by Marist that found that 57% of respondents nationally stated that they would definitely not vote for Trump’s re-election under any circumstances.

If that’s remotely true, finding an acceptable alternative is a pretty low bar.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...117-story.html
True, according to a recent PBS/Marist poll, only 30% would vote for Trump again vs 57% who won't. That doesn't bode well for Trump since it signals that even those who approve of him now are unlikely to vote for him.

I also heard that the chance of Trump running for re-elections is decreasing everyday. Recent actions speaks louder than words - Trump allowing the gov't to be shut down this long indicates he doesn't care about his electibiltiy and his SOS, Pompeo's, considering of a Senate run in 2020. The position of SOS is 4th in the line of succession for POTUS, why give that up to be a Senator unless you know your time as SOS is about to end?

The only reason Trump would run is to avoid getting locked up once he leaves office and becomes just another citizen but I would hope the GOP can do something about that. Losing the House is one thing, but the GOP risk losing both the Senate and WH if they continue to support the buffoon for POTUS.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 AM

14,488 posts, read 6,139,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
True, according to a recent PBS/Marist poll, only 30% would vote for Trump again vs 57% who won't. That doesn't bode well for Trump since it signals that even those who approve of him now are unlikely to vote for him.

I also heard that the chance of Trump running for re-elections is decreasing everyday. Recent actions speaks louder than words - Trump allowing the gov't to be shut down this long indicates he doesn't care about his electibiltiy and his SOS, Pompeo's, considering of a Senate run in 2020. The position of SOS is 4th in the line of succession for POTUS, why give that up to be a Senator unless you know your time as SOS is about to end?

The only reason Trump would run is to avoid getting locked up once he leaves office and becomes just another citizen but I would hope the GOP can do something about that. Losing the House is one thing, but the GOP risk losing both the Senate and WH if they continue to support the buffoon for POTUS.

I guess you can nominate anyone then. You have nothing to worry about

Old 01-21-2019, 11:38 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,111,518 times
The clown car is filling up fast, I wonder how many will fit ?

Old 01-21-2019, 11:57 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,498,802 times
Those of you calling Kamala "progressive" and "far left" are clearly unfamiliar with her record. Some of you know nothing outside of the superficial: what someone looks like and the party they're affiliated with. Conservatives/Republicans play "identity politics" better than the Democrats.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM

9,348 posts, read 16,743,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
She states, "I love my country. I love my country," and yet is willing to hand it over to ILLEGAL aliens???

She blew it with that ludicrous statement.
She does not impress me. After the Kavanaugh hearings and her "mind-reading" act, I thought to myself, who is she trying to impress? Not I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections