Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:47 PM

20,996 posts, read 9,718,963 times

Advertisements

This is hilarious. He's even behind the dems that the Trump fans are constantly ridiculing!

And since somebody is bound to bring it up, I remind them that the polls overall did pretty well in 2018.

Poll: Trump trails several possible 2020 Dem opponents
Quote:
In the survey from Public Policy Polling, Trump trails Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) by 7 percentage points, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) by 6 percentage points and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) by 5 percentage points.

He also trails several top progressive leaders who are speculated to be considering 2020 bids but have not yet announced, including former Vice President Joe Biden by 12 points and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I) by 10 points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,013 times
Quote:
It really doesn’t matter which Democratic hopeful you test against him right now,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. “Voters prefer any of them over Trump at halftime of his Presidency.”

Trump got the benefit of the doubt in 2016. He’s won’t get that in 2020. He’s a known entity now, and only supported by the same 40% of the electorate he’s always had.

To win re-election, Trump probably has to have the anti-Trump vote split by a significant third party race.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 01-22-2019 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 04:02 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,828,955 times
From the article

Quote:
Poll: Trump trails several possible 2020 Dem opponents
© Getty Images
President Trump lags behind several prominent Democrats, including many of the declared contenders for the 2020 nomination, in a new poll from a left-leaning outlet.
The bolded part is all I needed to read to see where they got these poll numbers from. Easy to counter,lets get a poll from a right-leaning outlet and I'll bet it cancels out your left one!

Old 01-22-2019, 04:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,345,375 times
Wow--this poll is terrible for Trump. I know it is early, but I love that Warren and O'Rourke are ahead of Trump. If he calls her Pocahontas, all she has to do is tweet this poll--that will quiet him quickly. Trump is so going to hate this poll.

"...Voters wish Obama was still President instead of Trump, 53/43...."

...One final note. Certainly things can change a ton in the next 22 months. But 8 years ago this week, at the same point in Obama's first term as Trump's now, we released a national poll that found Barack Obama leading Mitt Romney by 5 points nationally. He won by 4 the next year..."

"...Trump gets just 41 or 42% in head to head match ups against 7 likely Democratic candidates for President. He trails Joe Biden 53-41, Bernie Sanders 51-41, Kamala Harris 48-41, Beto O’Rourke 47-41, Elizabeth Warren 48-42, and Cory Booker and Kirsten Gillibrand each 47-42...."

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...mocratic-foes/

Old 01-22-2019, 04:10 PM

20,996 posts, read 9,718,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
From the article

The bolded part is all I needed to read to see where they got these poll numbers from. Easy to counter,lets get a poll from a right-leaning outlet and I'll bet it cancels out your left one!
It just so happens that that particular polling outfit got the 2018 midterms pretty good:

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...onal_61318.pdf
Quote:
Democrats continue to have an advantage for this fall’s Congressional elections, leading the generic ballot 46‐40. That lead grows to 52‐43 among voters who say they’re ‘very excited’ to turn out this year.
Actual results were:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_U...y_and_analysis
Democrats: 53.43%
Republicans: 44.84%
-------------------
Dems by 8.59 percentage points

Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM

14,488 posts, read 6,139,373 times
Wow. I guess Dems don’t have anything to worry about then. Hope Warren is the nominee . I’m also enjoying Ben Carson’s presidency

Old 01-22-2019, 07:51 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,345,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Wow. I guess Dems don’t have anything to worry about then. Hope Warren is the nominee . I’m also enjoying Ben Carson’s presidency
Ben Carson?

Last I heard, he was still asleep under his desk--like George Costanza.

But, I do believe he has sent a group on a fact-finding mission regarding storage of military arms in the Pyramids that used to be used to store grain.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:54 PM

471 posts, read 397,654 times
Any republican will always be behind the Democrats...

The only reason Bush won the popular vote in 2004 is because he got roughly 45% of the vote in CA... and was also up in national polling going into re-election.

National polling really does not matter. It is impossible for the GOP to ever get 45% in CA/IL... and 40%+ in NY like Bush did.

Generational changes/the DNC lapdog media/illegal alien anchor babies/celebs/tech companies make the above scenario impossible.

All that matters is the state wide path for Trump.

I'm not saying polls in IA/MI/WI/MN/PA/AZ/NV/VA/CO look good for him... (surprisingly FL keeps staying at 50%+)... but you can't count him completely out

Trump's greatest weakness is not planning. Not getting a strategist, and going with the flow.

Messaging is another weakness.

I feel like he hasn't improved in either of the above situations... but we still have time

He has an incredible list of accomplishments, and the economy is booming... the only reason his approval isn't in the 50's or 60's is because of his personality/media/russian hysteria censoring everything else.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:54 AM

42,835 posts, read 26,594,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It just so happens that that particular polling outfit got the 2018 midterms pretty good:

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...onal_61318.pdf

Actual results were:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_U...y_and_analysis
Democrats: 53.43%
Republicans: 44.84%
-------------------
Dems by 8.59 percentage points
And this new CBS poll isn't too good for the Trumpster: Support among Republicans down to 77% and approve/disapprove is at 36%/59% https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pelosi-...cbs-news-poll/

Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,210,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
Messaging is another weakness.
Wow, I have the opposite conclusion. I think Trump's ONLY strength is he is EXCELLENT at messaging -- and I say that as a liberal.

Despite Trump's sheltered upbringing and upper crust lifestyle, Trump has this uncanny knack and intuition for knowing exactly the right words, the right phrases, to connect and resonate with blue collar and middle class conservatives. Trump doesn't associate with Average Joe who works at the muffler shop -- but somehow Trump knows exactly what to say so Joe nods his head in approval and says, "I agree with Trump."

While Trump's messaging to his base is excellent unfortunately for him his base is not big enough to get him reelected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections