Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:13 PM

21,957 posts, read 9,545,368 times

Advertisements

And I would love to know what makes him think he is more qualified than Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 04:46 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Trump is the first independent president ever. ....
No. Trump was elected as the nominee of the Republican party.

While Trump is probably an Independent at heart, his nomination made him an official Republican, and he was listed as such on all the ballots.

IF Shultz does run, he won't be affiliated to any party and will be listed as an independent on all ballots.

In American politics, you are a member of the party you align with officially. If Bernie Sanders had won the Democratic nomination as an independent, he would have become a Democrat officially.

The Democratic party officials had a lot of trouble with that, and pressured Sanders to change his affiliation before he began campaigning. Sanders refused, but said if he was nominated, he would then change, and become an official member of the Democratic party at the convention.

It was a compromise on his part that Shultz would not have to make, as at the moment, there is no official Independent political party.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:50 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Wouldn't he pull his votes from left leaners and disenchanted Dems?
It's more likely he would pull votes from the moderate and the conservative factions of the party. Especially the Clintonians who still support fiscal and social conservatism in the party the most.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,357,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It was a compromise on his part that Shultz would not have to make, as at the moment, there is no official Independent political party.
True, there is no official Independent political party, but there is an official American Independent Party, which has caused some confusion, especially in California.

This was confirmed in a Los Angeles Times investigation in 2016, which found "overwhelming" and "indisputable" evidence that thousands of California voters who are registered as affiliated with the American Independent Party on voter forms in fact intended to be registered as "no party preference" (i.e., as independent voters).

That's why more and more states like to use "unaffiliated" instead of "independent" as a choice.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,042,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
He is a self made CEO and not a founder CEO and ran one of the most recognizable brands in the world known for its people.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:01 PM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You would have to ask him that, but otherwise, he appears to be a decent human being of character. Trump is not. I'll bet he is not beholden to Putin either.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,310,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Why are the Democrats so afraid of Schultz?
They are hugely afraid of him splitting up their votes enough for Trump to sneak back in. It's funny that there is already hysteria against him running.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:06 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,308,171 times
Apparently Schultz’ book tour is off to a shaky start.

Quote:
“Don’t help elect Trump, you egotistical billionaire a**hole.”

— A heckler at Howard Schultz’s first stop on his national book tour.
https://mobile.twitter.com/maxwellta...38812804345857

Welcome to the big leagues, Howard.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,785,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
They are hugely afraid of him splitting up their votes enough for Trump to sneak back in. It's funny that there is already hysteria against him running.
Yeah, I heard they are threaten to boycott Starbucks. Unbelievable, it’s like blackmail. My family don’t do Starbucks anymore, but that’s not the reason, the reason is it’s so ridiculously expensive, who needs tasteless coffee that’s so expensive.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-28-2019 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,310,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Yeah, I heard they are threaten to boycott Starbucks. Unbelievable, it’s like blackmail. My family don’t do Starbucks anymore, but that’s not the reason, the reason is it’s soridiculously expensive, who needs tasteless coffee that’s so expensive.
I'm a Dunkin Donuts man, but do occasionally treat myself to a Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections