Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 512,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't know how Democrats can truly appeal to the middle class but I feel they'll do better than Trump. We know what Trump is and most of the nation don't like him and I don't see it getting much better and federal workers and contractors could be a very hard group to win back if they voted for Trump but now got screwed once by Trump and could be again if he throws another bossy fit over his wall.
I'm middle class, and I much prefer Trump to Obama. I got a raise under Trump I never got under Obama, more money in my pocket. I don't see how I got screwed over by Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 06:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
I'm middle class, and I much prefer Trump to Obama. I got a raise under Trump I never got under Obama, more money in my pocket. I don't see how I got screwed over by Trump.
If you don't see how you got screwed under Trump, you'll never will.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:09 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,360,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If you don't see how you got screwed under Trump, you'll never will.
The family business (run by oldest daughter) saw dramatically increased sales in 2017, and a record breaking year in 2018. DH (retired, but it's his family's business) is reaping the benefits in more money. I, in turn, can afford to continue to work part time seasonally and take the whole summer off to spend with the grandkids. Son in law (oldest daughter's DH) got a promotion, large raise, and a nice bonus. They were able to purchase a new van.

Please tell us how we've been screwed under President Trump...I don't see it either. Not how somebody ELSE your or the SJW's think we're supposed to worry about was screwed...specifically tell us how WE were screwed.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 02-02-2019 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 07:18 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,172,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Zero Chance.

This is why Trump will hand them their ass again in 2020.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:25 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
I have yet to see a Dem announce their willingness to run for POTUS (or any other elective office) who I would be willing to vote for.
It is quite annoying. I would really like to be able to vote Dem again, as I did years ago. But, I vote for the PERSON, not the PARTY.
So far, I see no Dem person, who is, IMO, worthy of my vote.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:27 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,305,691 times
Are the terms “middle class” and “white working class” now interchangeable?

What’s left? The “elite” and the welfare recipients?

Since the Republicans seldom can manage a win in the popular vote, are we saying that when you combine the “middle class” and the “white working class” it’s still less than a majority?

Old 02-02-2019, 08:48 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,716,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have yet to see a Dem announce their willingness to run for POTUS (or any other elective office) who I would be willing to vote for.
It is quite annoying. I would really like to be able to vote Dem again, as I did years ago. But, I vote for the PERSON, not the PARTY.
So far, I see no Dem person, who is, IMO, worthy of my vote.
Check out Klobuchar not sure if she said she is running as of yet

Think this is the most Centrist Democrat considering a run

Old 02-02-2019, 10:56 AM

29,594 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Yeah, that is true, that's why The Electoral College exists.
No, it exist because slave states wanted to be count slaves.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So much of the Democratic party has completely abandoned the middle class working person. Blue collar workers, as well as white collar. The ditzy crowd they have come out so far are so busy promising "free ****"-that working people realize they will have to pay for. So...are there any Dem candidates that might do some of the following:

1) Reign in government spending. The Republicans have failed miserably, increasing the deficit, even at a time of record revenues.

2) Support jobs-particularly the return of manufacturing jobs to the US.

3) Support fair trade agreements that level the playing field between US workers/companies and foreign companies.

4) Protect American citizens. Secure the borders, work to keep illegals from depressing the wages of American workers.

5) Have some idea how to control the costs of health care. Not simply have the government pay for it-that doesn't reduce the cost-simply shift who pays those costs.

6) Reduce our foreign military engagements. Someone that would bring our troops home and stop sacrificing the lives of our servicemen and women for people of other nations. Stop subsidizing NATO, let other nations pay their fair share.

7) Slash foreign aid-stop throwing the taxpayer dollars at every other nation on the planet.

8) Does not promote schemes to raise taxes or subsidies government-selected companies under the guise of "climate change"? All things that hit middle class taxpayers hard in terms of increased energy costs.

9) Keep taxes and regulations reasonable on businesses. Most working people are not stupid-they realize that without successful businesses they would not have jobs, and that business owners are not their enemy.

10) Keep their taxes reasonable.

11) Supports the 2nd amendment and not promoting more regressive laws on law-abiding gun owners.

All these ideas are things that have a broad appeal to the middle class worker-and taxpayer. This is true again of both blue and white collar workers. All things that USED TO be fundamental concepts that the Democratic party stood for. You know-putting Americans, and especially American workers, first. Yet NO Democrat that has announced they are running are even close.

Instead of doing things for American workers, they do the exact opposite. They promise to have the taxpayers pay for college for everybody-regardless of their major, the effort they contribute, or the need for their degree in the marketplace. They promise to have the taxpayers pay for everyone's health care-without explaining how they are going to control cost or maintain quality. They give taxpayer funded health care and college to foreign criminals. They support releasing criminals from prison, or not locking them up in the first place-criminals that return to prey on innocent people, usually on that very same middle class. In short...everything they promote, hurts the middle class-and especially blue collar workers. Are there ANY Democrats that actually have any appeal for workers?
Lol, I'm a blue collar worker, middle class, and the Democrats still align more with my values than the Rethuglicans. Especially since I'm only a couple months away from joining IBT (International Brotherhood of Teamsters) Local 104, and knowing that Rethuglicans are anti-union

Old 02-02-2019, 02:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Wrong... This is way Trump is President. The Demcrats DO NOT care about the American working middle class at all... Period!!!

To even think that way shows everybody how blind the party is to the reality of the real world and why they lost in 2016, when they should have won.
Uh, last I checked, the Rethuglicans are still anti-union
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections