Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:32 PM

1,018 posts, read 515,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Read and comprehend what I said and get back to me.

1. We have never had a party dominate the national popular vote like the D’s have since 1992.

2. We have only had a President elected while losing the national pop vote 5 times in 230+ years or 4 times if you ignore Henry Clay pushing John Quincy Adams way back in 1824.

Can a party now depend on consistently winning the electoral college while consistently losing the national popular vote?

Perhaps, but it would be unprecedented in American History. If history is any indicator, it’s more likely that either the Republicans regain the popular vote or the Democrats take control of the electoral college.

1. We don't elect by popular vote.
2. We don't elect by popular vote.

All that party needs to do is win the electoral college, which is what counts.

The Democrats won't get the Electoral College if they don't regain those states in the rust belt. Thus, no path to the presidency. I'm not worried about the popular vote, cause it doesn't count.

The popular vote argument is like this: "That football team should have won cause they ran more yards then scored more points!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,619,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBloom View Post
Do people actually still believe that trump cares about the middle class and working peop!e?!
Seriously?
C'mon now.
I think it was that tax cut for the wealthy and corporations that really showed his love for the middle class.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM

1,018 posts, read 515,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think it was that tax cut for the wealthy and corporations that really showed his love for the middle class.
I'm not wealthy, and his tax cut benefitted me.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:55 PM

3,005 posts, read 1,506,578 times
The parties have been realigning and switching their roles of resisting and pushing change. Now that change is mostly complete. The new labels will arrive later.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:58 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,326,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Read and comprehend what I said and get back to me.

1. We have never had a party dominate the national popular vote like the D’s have since 1992.

2. We have only had a President elected while losing the national pop vote 5 times in 230+ years or 4 times if you ignore Henry Clay pushing John Quincy Adams way back in 1824.

Can a party now depend on consistently winning the electoral college while consistently losing the national popular vote?

Perhaps, but it would be unprecedented in American History. If history is any indicator, it’s more likely that either the Republicans regain the popular vote or the Democrats take control of the electoral college.
The GOP has lost 6 of the last 7 general elections popular vote--that is a lot. Minority rule, I believe, will eventually cause a civil war or revolution. Whether it takes place at the voter booth or on the streets remains to be seen.

The areas with the best economies, paying the highest taxes, will be, and already are, very very very sick and tired of a group of rural areas ruling them. What he have is taxation without representation in this country. That is where we are at, and it is simply not sustainable. Something has to give.

Minority rule is going to end, and the people who think we're going back to the 50s I think will be quite shocked by the younger generation's political philosophies--they're actually too progressive for me.

"...That vote will be a vivid reminder that we are living in an age of minority rule. In fact, that is one of the central features of this political era. The Republican Party represents a minority of the American electorate, yet it controls not only all three branches of the federal government but also most state governments, as well...."

....Leip’s invaluable election atlas, I added up all the votes cast for Democrats and Republicans in the 2012, 2014 and 2016 Senate elections, which put the current Senate in place. I didn’t bother with the few special elections since 2012, which in total wouldn’t change the results much, but I did include Bernie Sanders’s and Angus King’s last elections, since they are nominally independent but caucus with the Democrats. Here are the results:
Republican votes: 102.3 million
Democratic votes: 117.4 million
...In the elections that determined the current Senate, there were 15 million more votes cast for Democrats than for Republicans. Yet Republicans maintain control and therefore get to confirm President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.eebc50758f93

http://www.cardiobrief.org/2018/09/0...minority-rule/

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/12/178509...-james-madison

Old 02-04-2019, 06:41 PM

11,986 posts, read 5,326,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Correct, they do, but those 2 regions alone don't add up to 270 electoral votes. The republicans also have an edge in The Rocky Mountain States too.

Here's how the map looks if only whites voted: Even New York goes red with White Voters!

Attachment 207609
Generally when polls are broken down by regions, the country is divided in to 4 regions; Northeast, South, Midwest and West.

That’s where I thought you were going.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:54 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,165,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So much of the Democratic party has completely abandoned the middle class working person. Blue collar workers, as well as white collar. The ditzy crowd they have come out so far are so busy promising "free ****"-that working people realize they will have to pay for. So...are there any Dem candidates that might do some of the following:

7) Slash foreign aid-stop throwing the taxpayer dollars at every other nation on the planet.
11) Supports the 2nd amendment and not promoting more regressive laws on law-abiding gun owners.

Apropos of #7, are you aware that foreign aid, as a percentage, is minuscule compared to what most people imagine?

Apropos of #11, most people do, in fact, support the Second Amendment. It's a matter of interpreting what it says. To me, for instance, it clearly says that you are entitled to own guns (although not necessarily to have them at home) IF they are for the purpose of your being ready to use them at a moment's notice to fight in America's wars.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 PM

39,946 posts, read 26,656,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Saved middle-class me over $1800-and best of all took about 5 minutes to fill out. Just how poor are you to not have saved with the tax cut?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,014,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Saved middle-class me over $1800-and best of all took about 5 minutes to fill out. Just how poor are you to not have saved with the tax cut?
Really, lower middle class me only got about $15 on my taxes. I think you aren't as middle class as you lead on...

Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 PM

39,946 posts, read 26,656,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Really, lower middle class me only got about $15 on my taxes. I think you aren't as middle class as you lead on...
Combined income only about $95k. Nice to get a 20% tax cut under Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections