Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 02:40 PM

5,969 posts, read 3,935,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Don't kid yourself. Shultz is no centrist.
Yup. He's basically a moderate Republican at best and is really no different than someone like Mitt Romney. Since Schultz liked Obamacare so much, maybe he'll replace it with Schultzcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 05:23 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,629,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Timing is everything. Trump would not have won a decade ago - he picked the right time.

For Schultz, it is exactly the right time. It would still be the right time for him in 4 years if Trump wins again this time. This country is craving people who are not bought and paid for. And maybe you should read more about him. His own principles speak as to what kind of person he is:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...id/2697023002/

Extremely relatable to a lot of people. Not only that, we don't have to hear whining about how he "inherited" a million and that's the only reason he's wealthy now - he worked hard at it, and he became a huge success. That's inspirational.

What more could a lefty want? He's giving even part time employees all of those things - unheard of. He chose to do that, not because it's a norm - it's miles away from the norm. He started off small...wait, what's that song - he started from the bottom, now he's here. He's just like others - again, relatable and inspirational.

That will appeal to many Independents and even the die hard Never Trumpers.

That's going to get those Independents again, the die hard Never Trumpers again, and moderate Dems who have walked away but still don't want to be Republican - he's exactly the answer for them.

Anecdote that essentially backs up what I'm claiming:

He's going to attract a LOT of people from the left, the middle, and even some from the right. As it's made clear in the beginning of that article, the Dems who are getting incensed with him are the ones who are playing a political game right now. With Schultz, while I don't agree with everything so far, he seems to genuinely want to make a difference, not just show up and get paid. I know the left doesn't believe it, but that's what Trump wanted to do - he genuinely wanted to make a difference. Those kind of people can get elected, and no, it doesn't mean it will be difficult.

The only thing that will be difficult is that Schultz could go through what Trump went through, depending on how scared the left is of him. He could get called every name under the sun, badgered, treated like trash, mocked, insulted, (which is why I always laugh when someone on the left or even a never Trumper wants to cry about what Trump writes in his tweets - like they gave one damn about being abusive aholes when Trump was campaigning), etc.

If he can withstand all of that, and even bankroll his own campaign in the same way Trump did, as he has what Trump had, he could actually give the left and the right a real run for their money. He could easily beat the Dems, and it's possible, that were it between him and Trump, he could beat Trump.

If he does run - he's going to have to do a whole lot of work because guaranteed the left is going to try to tear him down and black him out in the media - but the people are aware, and they will be watching - the type of people who would vote for Schultz are not the type of people who give two rats' fluffy derrieres about what the media thinks.
I read the linked article. Most of the information was already familiar to me. I was hoping it would give more insight into what he actually proposes to do should be be elected. I agree that he's a very inspiring person, as a businessman, and I love the way he treated his employees. I have no argument whatsoever with him there. What more a lefty could want - at least this lefty - is for him to use his considerable skills in finding a way to offer health care benefits to the entire country. Single payer is not the only way to do this; many countries with UHC use other models. This issue is as important to me as the wall is to the most devoted Trump supporter.

While I agree with you that the time is probably as ripe as it ever has been for an independent candidate, I still feel that it would be difficult for one to actually win. I would like to be wrong, not because I am in love with this candidate - I'm not - but because I think it would be good to have more than two viable choices at election time.

As for wanting to make a difference, you may find it naive, but I honestly believe that most people who go into politics want to make a difference, at least when they begin their careers.

The left may be upset with Schultz now, but if you are correct, and he starts looking like even a slight threat to Trump, watch what happens. Things could change very quickly in that case.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:44 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,031,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Schultz, you likely know, is past head of Starbucks, and is toying with the idea of running for president. He had a book event at Barnes & Noble at Union Square (standing room only, based on the photograph), and someone in the audience yelled out - well, I can't print it here, but you can check out the link.

http://gothamist.com/2019/01/29/howard_schultz_heckled.php

If he still lives in Washington (Seattle being renown for nice people), the direct assertiveness of New Yorkers must have taken him by surprise.

Howard Schultz is originally from Brooklyn, NY.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,857,572 times
I want free coffee, go Schultz.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 AM

79,229 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Yup. He's basically a moderate Republican at best and is really no different than someone like Mitt Romney. Since Schultz liked Obamacare so much, maybe he'll replace it with Schultzcare.
So, following your logic....Romney liked Obamacare.

Why do I get the feeling you're done zero real research here....and are just making stuff up?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 PM

15,927 posts, read 14,636,034 times
You're pushing it JUST a tad to hard for it to be funny. If you didn't cap "BREW" it might have been actually worth a groan/laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
When the former CEO of Starbucks announces he will be running for the next POTUS election, one does wonder how much controversy will BREW from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections