Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 AM

5,036 posts, read 2,137,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I can't take much more. I would seriously consider moving out of the country. I would head for Canada but I can't stand being cold. I hate what our country has become. I have friends who live in Mexico and its very affordable.
Out of curiosity, would you sneak across the border to live in Mexico or overstay your visitor visa to make this happen? Yes, Mexico is very affordable... at the cost of the local population, who liberals always say they care about. Plus, take the chance of being deported back to the U.S. after a run in with a corrupted police officer. Which is often followed by some legalized "police abuse" and a night or two in a Mexican jail. Sorry, your sense of "American Privilege" doesn't work down there at all. The funny thing about this is that people who fled the U.S. for whatever reason(s) will and without question, request help from the U.S. Embassy to get them back to the U.S. when they get themselves into trouble.

I think it would be good for most liberals to visit the "real" Mexico for a taste of reality. Afterwards, tell us all how evil and Un-progressive United States really is.

Btw, forget about just moving to Europe... Without going through a lengthy immigration screening process... If you even qualify and being an American, fleeing the evils of Trump, doesn't move you to the head of the line since to be honest, the world isn't too impressed by Americans anyway.

A little known fact, Canada deports Americans daily and so do most Western European countries since American often feel that they're special.

But this doesn't matter since you're not leaving the United States anyway. And if you should, there is thousands and thousands of people from around the world who are more than willing to take your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 04:45 AM

33,629 posts, read 12,825,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Out of curiosity, would you sneak across the border to live in Mexico or overstay your visitor visa to make this happen? Yes, Mexico is very affordable... at the cost of the local population, who liberals always say they care about. Plus, take the chance of being deported back to the U.S. after a run in with a corrupted police officer. Which is often followed by some legalized "police abuse" and a night or two in a Mexican jail. Sorry, your sense of "American Privilege" doesn't work down there at all. The funny thing about this is that people who fled the U.S. for whatever reason(s) will and without question, request help from the U.S. Embassy to get them back to the U.S. when they get themselves into trouble.

I think it would be good for most liberals to visit the "real" Mexico for a taste of reality. Afterwards, tell us all how evil and Un-progressive United States really is.

Btw, forget about just moving to Europe... Without going through a lengthy immigration screening process... If you even qualify and being an American, fleeing the evils of Trump, doesn't move you to the head of the line since to be honest, the world isn't too impressed by Americans anyway.

A little known fact, Canada deports Americans daily and so do most Western European countries since American often feel that they're special.

But this doesn't matter since you're not leaving the United States anyway. And if you should, there is thousands and thousands of people from around the world who are more than willing to take your place.

I think that another poster (not the one you were replying to) would probably have to see his cardiologist more often if Trump got reelected .

Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 AM

13,865 posts, read 5,080,266 times
I will be disappointed, but not shocked as in 2016. Because now I realize how much our Electoral College system favors the more rural states. Hillary won the popular vote but lost the EC. None of the declared Democrat candidates seem likely to produce a better outcome.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:24 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,466,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Elated.

Cheating their own party like the Democrats did in 2016 is like torturing POWs. You may not be doing it now but that you have done makes it hard thing for people to forget, makes it a long time before they ever trust (as much as one can trust in this arena) you again.
True enough, that's why I left. I'll watch and see, something tells me they'll do it again to get a corporate Democrat in there like Biden. People want real change, not just puffs of corporate smoke.

Every time Trump wins it's like punishment. lol

Old 02-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,747,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem with this is that the Republican Party under Trump is largely the Tea Party. I don't think that is viable for the Republican Party long-term. It is great for 2010 and 2016 but as we saw in 2012 and 2018, it wasn't. Local elections are one thing, but as I saw in Arizona, a mostly red state, they actually one don't like Trump and two don't like Trump's Republican platform since we got our first Democrat senator in years.
Yep, Sinema is our first US Senate Democrat since Dennis DiConcini, who was elected to his third and final term in 1988, he chose not to run again in 1994 and Jon Kyl ended up winning the seat that year

Old 02-05-2019, 02:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,805,209 times
I think Trump is totally incompetent but I strongly believe in democracy and if he can convince enough voters to elect him again, I will accept it as the will of the majority - at least the way we define majority in our electoral system. It will be disappointing to me but I will live through it. I can tell you I would rather have Trump than Pence.

But, I think he will have a bigger fight on his hands in 2020. There was a lot of apathy about Hillary and people who decided to stay home in 2016 rather than vote for her are sorry they did. They won't be staying home in 2020 unless the Dems field a real dog.

I really doubt that Trump will win any new votes, but I can easily see him losing some. If the economy tanks, it will be very bad for him.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:02 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,359,752 times
If Trump doesn't get himself impeached (which he won't), he'll win again in 2020. Some of the GOP leaders might not like Trump, but they will continue to support him if he has that "R" next to his name. They are all about the brand. The Democratic Party is a house divided.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:10 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,849,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem with this is that the Republican Party under Trump is largely the Tea Party. I don't think that is viable for the Republican Party long-term. It is great for 2010 and 2016 but as we saw in 2012 and 2018, it wasn't. Local elections are one thing, but as I saw in Arizona, a mostly red state, they actually one don't like Trump and two don't like Trump's Republican platform since we got our first Democrat senator in years.

The Republican Senate candidate that Arizona unsuccessfully ran was far from a tea partier. She was an establishment neocon who criticized her opponent for protesting against the Iraq war. I rarely root for Democrats but in that race I did. I was against the Iraq war from the start. I wanted us to go to war against Saudi Arabia instead as they are the true enemy, Iraq never was.

Trump is far from being a tea partier because he spends and adds to our massive debt. Debt was the number one issue for the tea party.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:01 PM

34,290 posts, read 17,382,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I can't take much more. I would seriously consider moving out of the country. I would head for Canada but I can't stand being cold. I hate what our country has become. I have friends who live in Mexico and its very affordable.
We will not hold you here against your will.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:21 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yep, Sinema is our first US Senate Democrat since Dennis DiConcini, who was elected to his third and final term in 1988, he chose not to run again in 1994 and Jon Kyl ended up winning the seat that year
Yep all the the on ballot Republicans for Senate ran with Trump. Sinema was the closest to a McCain Senator and guess what, she won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections