Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,690,865 times

Advertisements

Good!

William Weld, a former Massachusetts governor who ran for vice president on the Libertarian Party ticket in 2016, became the first Republican to take a serious step toward challenging President Donald Trump in 2020.

Speaking Friday at a breakfast in New Hampshire, Weld said he has created a presidential exploratory committee. He blasted Trump for leaving the nation in "grave peril."

"We have a president whose priorities are skewed towards promotion of himself rather than for the good of the country," Weld said. "He may have great energy and considerable raw talent but he does not use that in ways that promote democracy, truth, justice and equal opportunity for all. To compound matters, our president is simply too unstable to carry out the duties of the highest executive office in the land."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-massac...-election.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 01:35 PM

753 posts, read 847,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I wish a libertarian leaning Republican would challenge Trump in the GOP primary. Trump is for big government, the federal reserve system, and the income tax. A candidate like Senator Mike Lee of Utah or Congressman Justin Amash of Michigan would be able to offer Republican primary voters a clear alternative to Trump's authoritarian, big government philosophy.

I disagree with Bill Weld on a host of issues, but if it's a choice between Weld and Trump, I will enthusiastically vote for Weld. Weld supports free markets and free trade, Trump does not. Weld supports cutting waste by 20% and has balanced budgets, Trump only asked for 5% reductions in agencies and has not balanced budgets. Weld understands that need to reform our immigration system in a way that respects the rule of law while welcoming people here legally, Trump sat by as families were being separated and even once supported reducing the number of people allowed to come here legally.

Aside from Weld being for limited government and Trump being for big government, I also happen to believe that Weld is more intelligent and honest than Trump. He is a leader who can unite the country.
Well said.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:40 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,309,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Just like Trump?
let's see.....Weld is for open borders, amnesty, globalism, endless wars, and endless occupations and bad trade deals. He is pro-choice and doesn't want to ban partial birth abortions. He praises Hillary Clinton and said she would make a fine President.

yeah, just like Trump.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:51 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
So? At least he's not a party hack.
He stands for nothing. Those are the people I support. Yes, few and far between.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,369,322 times
I don't know how much of a realistic chance he has, but it will be interesting to see if he is thin edge of the wedge and if this prompts any other primary challenges to Trump. Once someone is in, it might not seem as scary for someone else to give it a shot.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,849,833 times
He would have a better chance as an independent but he doesn't want to anger Democrats.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:58 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,533,598 times
Who...Right on Sara!

Another dreama, as a former MA resident, let me tell you, he did nothing memorable for the Commonwealth, at his station in life, he along with Biden should break out the rocker.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post

I disagree with Bill Weld on a host of issues, but if it's a choice between Weld and Trump, I will enthusiastically vote for Weld. Weld supports free markets and free trade, Trump does not. Weld supports cutting waste by 20% and has balanced budgets, Trump only asked for 5% reductions in agencies and has not balanced budgets. Weld understands that need to reform our immigration system in a way that respects the rule of law while welcoming people here legally, Trump sat by as families were being separated and even once supported reducing the number of people allowed to come here legally.

Aside from Weld being for limited government and Trump being for big government, I also happen to believe that Weld is more intelligent and honest than Trump. He is a leader who can unite the country.

you are clueless if you think we have free trade and free markets with China and other 3rd world countries.....how will Weld deal with China? he wouldn't. For him, everything was fine before Trump came to office. He wants more of the same. That's why like Hillary (which he supported) he is for TPP.

Weld is for open borders and amnesty.......and it's a fact we also have to limit LEGAL immigration. We can't keep taking 1 million legal immigrants a year with the current welfare state and the Democrats in control of Congress wanting to expand it further.. We are the #3 most populated country on earth behind China and India.

Some families will be separated at the border while Border Security and Homeland Security investigate if those children belong to the adults since we have a lot of human trafficking and child abuse at the border. I'm an American and if I violate the law in my own country, the government will separate me from my children but I don't see you complaining about that but take exception to illegal aliens like they should be treated better than Americans.

Weld can challenge TRUMP if he wants, not in the GOP. That would be an onslaught 1 sided victory for Trump. Especially when Weld is pro-choice and for late-term abortion. Yeah, that's going to go really well in the South and Midwest. where any Republican has to win to have a shot to beat in the general the Democrats.

Weld should join the former CEO of Starbucks, Schultz. They both agree on most of the issues. Both are rejected in the Democrat and GOP party.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:02 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you are clueless if you think we have free trade and free markets with China and other 3rd world countries.....how will Weld deal with China? he wouldn't. For him, everything was fine before Trump came to office. He wants more of the same. That's why like Hillary (which he supported) he is for TPP.

Weld is for open borders and amnesty.......and it's a fact we also have to limit LEGAL immigration. We can't keep taking 1 million legal immigrants a year with the current welfare state and the Democrats in control of Congress wanting to expand it further.. We are the #3 most populated country on earth behind China and India.

Some families will be separated at the border while Border Security and Homeland Security investigate if those children belong to the adults since we have a lot of human trafficking and child abuse at the border. I'm an American and if I violate the law in my own country, the government will separate me from my children but I don't see you complaining about that but take exception to illegal aliens like they should be treated better than Americans.

Weld can challenge TRUMP if he wants, not in the GOP. That would be an onslaught 1 sided victory for Trump. Especially when Weld is pro-choice and for late-term abortion. Yeah, that's going to go really well in the South and Midwest. where any Republican has to win to have a shot to beat in the general the Democrats.

Weld should join the former CEO of Starbucks, Schultz. They both agree on most of the issues. Both are rejected in the Democrat and GOP.
Weld supports whatever those who fund his campaign wants him to support.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't know how much of a realistic chance he has, but it will be interesting to see if he is thin edge of the wedge and if this prompts any other primary challenges to Trump. Once someone is in, it might not seem as scary for someone else to give it a shot.

voting for Weld is like electing a Democrat in the fall. It's a sure defeat. Weld is not strong outside of the Northeast which will go Democrat in the general anyway. A Republican to have a shot in the primary and the General he/she has to be strong in the South and Midwest......Weld is not strong in those regions. He is a very liberal Republican from the Northeast that is pro-choice, for late-term abortions, for open borders, for amnesty and for gun control and for affirmative action.

why would any Republican vote for this guy? that is 100% guaranteed a Democrat win in 2020.....everytime the GOP nominates a RINO, the Democrats win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections