Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 10:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,510,071 times

Advertisements

Maybe Pete isn't into 6'2" red-headed, freckled guys (TJ), that are "into" black chicks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 AM

14,831 posts, read 7,443,121 times
I probably have more respect for Jefferson than any of the founders except perhaps Washington.

I’m also gay, but Buttigieg lost me here.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:14 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,413,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I probably have more respect for Jefferson than any of the founders except perhaps Washington.

I’m also gay, but Buttigieg lost me here.
Since Jefferson did own slaves, what was it about him that you have so much respect for?

Old 05-19-2019, 06:39 PM

20,133 posts, read 16,223,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Since Jefferson did own slaves, what was it about him that you have so much respect for?
Sigh..... you can not judge people of another era by the cultural norms, sensibilities, and understandings of today. We would not have this nation today, which has changed the relationship of people and the governments that ruled them for the better worldwide, were it not for Thomas Jefferson. I am sorry, you can not legitimately pretend that great, lasting positive contribution to humanity did not exist because he engaged in the typical practices of his time.

It is hard to say what activities we currently engage in that will be seen as being on the wrong side of history in the future, we don’t have crystal balls.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,937,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Sigh..... you can not judge people of another era by the cultural norms, sensibilities, and understandings of today. We would not have this nation today, which has changed the relationship of people and the governments that ruled them for the better worldwide, were it not for Thomas Jefferson. I am sorry, you can not legitimately pretend that great, lasting positive contribution to humanity did not exist because he engaged in the typical practices of his time.

It is hard to say what activities we currently engage in that will be seen as being on the wrong side of history in the future, we don’t have crystal balls.

very well said there. nothing changes overnight. jefferson was, like the rest of the founding fathers, wanting to end slavery. the reason it didnt happen then was in order to get the southern states to sign on to the constitution, they had to make compromises, meaning that slavery was kept legal in some states, and abolished in others. that was the reason for the mason-dixon line laws. and efforts were made before the civil war to end slavery, but they failed because southern DEMOCRATS resisted the efforts.

in the end however, the founding father did in fact put us on the path to abolishing slavery in this country, and say what you will about them, they did get this country off to a good start.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:26 PM

7,447 posts, read 7,044,765 times
Quote:
Have you read anything about him?

Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,413,143 times
Yes, I have read some about Jefferson. More so, what you might read from occasional interest and not from a scholarly standpoint.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 AM

52,740 posts, read 48,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/pete-b...dings-renamed/

..and he has wisdom beyond the founders cuz, he's gay, did you know?
Perhaps, it's Bootygag who needs to go. Jefferson is too important to take down.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,023,303 times
Quote:
I am not the person who posted about respect, but I agree with him. We all have to realize a coupe of things: 1-what someone does in their personal life has little to do with how they handle themselves otherwise and 2-things like owning slaves was the common practice and maybe the slaves did not see things as badly as we think they were. How about all the illegals who are living in this country today; the ones who work for less than min wages or barely min wages; most are happy to be working and able to send money home. Is it fair? Maybe we think it is awful, but these workers are seeing things in a different light.

I care more about what a man or woman did or does for our country, especially our forefathers than I do how the handled their personal life.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 AM

5,804 posts, read 5,131,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jR3EIQeziCw

Who does this insignificant turd of a politician think he is to judge Thomas Jefferson not sufficiently honorable?
Well for starters, Jefferson was a slaver and this guy isn’t ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections