Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:23 PM

2,567 posts, read 2,237,135 times

Advertisements

Heck, 100 or 200 years from now people may look on Martin Luther King with contempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,578,829 times
Buttgig yet another authoritarian leftist trying to revise history. These backdoor policies cannot be allowed to stand.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:31 PM

7,453 posts, read 7,059,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Buttgig yet another authoritarian leftist trying to revise history. These backdoor policies cannot be allowed to stand.
Agreed. And well stated.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:35 PM

7,453 posts, read 7,059,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
That "insignificant turd" has accomplished more in HIS brief life than you have, hasn't he??
Not really. I appreciate the military service, but what else is there? Which is probably why, as far as I can tell, he is running on being gay.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,799,700 times
I like Mayor Pete, and I understand his opinion. Jefferson's perspective on slavery is schizophrenic.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

Quote:
The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other.
Quote:
And with what execration should the statesman be loaded, who, permitting one half the citizens thus to trarnple on the rights of the other, transforms those into despots, and these into enemies, destroys the morals of the one part, and the amor patriae of the other.
Quote:
And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever: that considering numbers, nature and natural means only, a revolution of the wheel of fortune, an exchange of situation is among possible events: that it may become probable by supernatural interference! The almighty has no attribute which can take side with us in such a contest.
He wrote eloquently for emancipation. But his slaves were never freed until his death. It is the most frustratingly immense gulf between a man's words and his deeds that I have come across.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:44 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,451,987 times
The United States very existence is, to the progressive set, troubling and problematic. All reminders and images of the country's history except for MLK must be expunged.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:50 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,451,987 times
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” George Orwell, 1984.

You Are Here.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,418,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
These damn snowflake liberals make me sick. They have no respect for this country or its founders.
I guess the same thing could arguably be said about conservatives, depending on the situation.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:16 PM

7,822 posts, read 6,460,642 times
Perhaps he can get a job as a bartender.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:03 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,026,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I like Mayor Pete, and I understand his opinion. Jefferson's perspective on slavery is schizophrenic.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

He wrote eloquently for emancipation. But his slaves were never freed until his death. It is the most frustratingly immense gulf between a man's words and his deeds that I have come across.
Jefferson was a spendthrift who horribly mismanaged his personal finances. That's probably the reason that he was not able to free his slaves. George Washington did free his slaves upon death. Most of the founders saw slavery as an evil to be temporarily tolerated. They figured it would gradually go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections