Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 10:56 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,306,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Say what?

Trump "used the electoral college" to win the election.

hahahahahahaha

Very bad news for you. He will do it again to win 2020.
If re-elected, Trump will be the first President elected and then re-elected, while never carrying a plurality, let alone a majority, of the national popular vote.

That’s almost a certitude due to the demographics. When you lose California and New York by 25 or more percent, Illinois by close to 20 percent and can’t counterbalance those massive losses with similarly massive wins in Texas, Florida and Georgia, there’s little chance of any Republican winning the national popular vote. The current state-by-state Trump approval rating reflect that reality; California (-29), New York (-24), Illinois (-22) vs. Texas (+3), Florida (-2), Georgia (+3).

https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump/

Last edited by Bureaucat; 05-29-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 02:12 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,529,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Democrats lost because Trump used Russia and the electoral college. Trump supporters can "try" to figure out what Americans want but the fact remains true that MORE people voted for the other candidate by a large number.

Why is it that Democrats think Super delegates are fine, but they have a problem with the Electoral College

If Donald Trump deleted all of his emails, wiped his server with Bleachbit (Like Hillary) and destroyed all of his phones with a hammer, would the Mainstream Media suddenly lose all interest in the story and declare him innocent. (Like Hillary)

If you don't want the FBI involved in elections, don't nominate someone who's being investigated by the FBI.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:14 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
If re-elected, Trump will be the first President elected and then re-elected, while never carrying a plurality, let alone a majority, of the national popular vote.
This makes no sense. The 2020 election hasn't occurred yet.

But I'll as the question again. Which candidate do you think will win more states than Hillary Clinton?

Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,432,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Why is it that Democrats think Super delegates are fine, but they have a problem with the Electoral College

If Donald Trump deleted all of his emails, wiped his server with Bleachbit (Like Hillary) and destroyed all of his phones with a hammer, would the Mainstream Media suddenly lose all interest in the story and declare him innocent. (Like Hillary)

If you don't want the FBI involved in elections, don't nominate someone who's being investigated by the FBI.
If the electoral college was perfectly good enough, why did he seek to benefit from Russian interference? To this day he fails to call out Putin or the Kremlin. He will talk to Putin about Mueller but won't talk to Mueller about Putin. He is as corrupt as they come.

Trump used his personal cell phone to conduct government business. As did his family. Why is his son in law using a What's Up encrypted app to contact the MBS after the murder of a WaPo journalist? Why is his daughter using personal emails? They can't even get a security clearance without an override from daddy. Trump and Jr. lied about a meeting with Russians then tried to craft a written statement to cover up their lies. They didn't contact the FBI with over 200 contacts with Russians. Trump signed an agreement to pay an NK dictating government after the torture of an American. He supports Roy Moore a pedophile. He pardoned Arpaio, a racist con. He lied about Stormy Daniels. He is an SDNY unindicated co-conspirator. He lied about bone spurs to get out of service. Yeah, any argument Trump supporters have against another politician is useless given the corrupt in the current swamp.

Barr is also a liar. The WH is flooded with the swamp. Congress needs to act now. Mueller preserved evidence for when he is out of office. Let's hope he is indicted by the federal government AND SDNY.

Trump supporters have nothing. Individual 1 sought to benefit from Russian Interference. The GOP is shrinking at a faster rate because of Trump. The Democratic party is increasing.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:41 PM

1,134 posts, read 405,761 times
Yes Hillary won the popular vote, I see that argument a lot. But that's not because she was a great candidate. It's because there are considerably more liberals in some very densely populated, key areas. California being one of the big ones of course.

Similar to many conservatives, most liberals will always vote for the DNC candidate no matter who it is. They know that person will be more aligned with their own liberal ideas. It doesn't matter how much of a whack job she actually is (or he).

I've voted for both parties in the past. I voted for Obama the first time around but not the second. I disliked the way he handled some things but I knew he'd win a second term anyway. Everybody I know with the exception of one person, voted against Hillary Clinton because they absolutely despised her. They were willing to give Trump a chance and bring an outsider into Washington. Not because they especially liked him, they just couldn't stand Hillary.

From what I can tell so far they're not very happy with Trump. But they're still glad Hillary is not in the White House.

I think most of them will vote for whichever party has the least despicable candidate. They don't care that much about which side of the isle it's on. Most people do however, and will stick with the party they prefer no matter who the candidate is.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:57 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
If the electoral college was perfectly good enough, why did he seek to benefit from Russian interference?
He did not.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This makes no sense. The 2020 election hasn't occurred yet.

But I'll as the question again. Which candidate do you think will win more states than Hillary Clinton?
Whatever candidate wins the Democratic nomination could win the Presidency.

If you look at the states that Trump carried that were previously carried by Barack Obama, I think the toughest to carry would be Iowa and Ohio. Trump carried both by about 8 points in 2016. It’s possible that a D could carry them in 2020, but both would be an upset. I’d also give Trump a narrow edge in Florida. It remains very competitive, but the R’s have maintained about a 1% lead.

That probably leaves Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin on the table, with Trump needing to split them to reach 270 and the D nominee needing 3 of 4. Trump’s approval rating is underwater in all four of these states, plus three states that I’ve given him an edge of carrying (Florida, Iowa and Ohio). If there’s one state that I would consider crucial, it would be Wisconsin.

I think it’s going to be a tough race, with both sides having a floor level of about 225 Electoral Votes and a ceiling of a little over 300.

As far as the national popular vote is concerned, any R candidate has a real challenge facing them. Last time an R was elected without the benefit of winning the popular vote (2004), Texas produced a margin for George W. Bush that by itself surpassed California’s margin for Al Gore. Bush went on to win re-election by 3 million votes and a margin of 2.5%.

Since then, the Republican margins in the Sunbelt States have been declining, as effect of demographic change has become more apparent. At the same time, the Republican Party of California has basically died as a statewide organization. Trump lost California in 2016 by 30% and 4.3 million votes. He only carried Texas by 8%. You can’t lost California, New York and Illinois by 20/30%, carry populous red states by less than 10% and hope to carry the national popular vote.

Trump carrying the national popular vote is the only thing that would shock me.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 05-29-2019 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 05:43 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,837,261 times
Prepared to be shocked.

My predictions is more sky screamers in 2020.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Prepared to be shocked.

My predictions is more sky screamers in 2020.
Win or lose, it should be interesting.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:04 PM

1,134 posts, read 405,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Trump carrying the national popular vote is the only thing that would shock me.
Yes that would shock me too. That was interesting what you wrote about Texas and George W. Bush. I didn't know that but I haven't looked up much history on the popular vote results from various years. I'm not sure how much Californians actually liked Al Gore. I'm in California myself. A very liberal state for sure. There are things I don't like about how the state is being run.

The two parties seem more at odds than ever before, and I don't mean since Trump came on the scene. It was worsening well before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections