Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 02:49 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
49-2 happened twice. The Democrats seem to be headed for a similar loss, but I'll say 43-8 this time, 410-128 in electoral votes.
I doubt that. Trump really isn't that popular outside of the Bible Belt.

Trump will possibly win the electoral college and lose the popular vote, just like last time. It's going to be hard for him to hang onto the Rust Belt due to the fact those aren't strong bastions of evangelicalism and religious conservatism. It's hard to tell at this point which way those states will go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 05:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I doubt that. Trump really isn't that popular outside of the Bible Belt.

Trump will possibly win the electoral college and lose the popular vote, just like last time. It's going to be hard for him to hang onto the Rust Belt due to the fact those aren't strong bastions of evangelicalism and religious conservatism. It's hard to tell at this point which way those states will go.
I think he will easily hang onto the rust belt. It isn't just religious conservatives that support him and there are some conservatives that do not.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The millenials are now officially the largest voting bloc. They could change this country if they would get out and vote.
Definitely.

The question is: will they have candidates that inspire them to get out and vote?
Personally, I worry that next year will not be the year at the national level.

In any event, some interesting 2018 demographic analysis here:

“2018 was also the first time that members of Generation Z, who were born after 1996, was of age to vote in a midterm election. 30 percent of eligible voters between 18 to 21 cast 4.5 million votes.

This generation is just reaching the legal voting age — members only accounted for about 4 percent of the votes in 2018 — which is why their impact will likely be more significant during the 2020 presidential election, when they’ll make up about 10 percent of all eligible voters.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...s-baby-boomers

Old 06-01-2019, 09:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Definitely.

The question is: will they have candidates that inspire them to get out and vote?
Personally, I worry that next year will not be the year at the national level.

In any event, some interesting 2018 demographic analysis here:

“2018 was also the first time that members of Generation Z, who were born after 1996, was of age to vote in a midterm election. 30 percent of eligible voters between 18 to 21 cast 4.5 million votes.

This generation is just reaching the legal voting age — members only accounted for about 4 percent of the votes in 2018 — which is why their impact will likely be more significant during the 2020 presidential election, when they’ll make up about 10 percent of all eligible voters.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...s-baby-boomers

Well, if the 2020 election is anything like the 2018 mid-terms - voting will be at record levels.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:19 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
As been mentioned higher turnout typically helps Democrats. In addition Trump's approvals being where they are helps Democrats if turnout is high. Trump's approvals have been very steady for the last couple years, unless that changes he goes in to 2020 with underwater approvals. When turnout is high neither side is likely to have a turnout advantage, in which the underwater approvals will likely play a decent factor. In a low turnout election you might be able to get away with the underwater approvals if your side has the turnout advantage.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:30 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think he will easily hang onto the rust belt. It isn't just religious conservatives that support him and there are some conservatives that do not.
Even with the economy decelerating due to his trade policies? As the unpleasant effects of his tariffs kick in, is he still going to be as popular in Wisconsin/Pennsylvania/Michigan/Ohio? Or are the voters there going to be mesmerized by his words and that is all that matters?

Old 06-02-2019, 08:58 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Even with the economy decelerating due to his trade policies? As the unpleasant effects of his tariffs kick in, is he still going to be as popular in Wisconsin/Pennsylvania/Michigan/Ohio? Or are the voters there going to be mesmerized by his words and that is all that matters?
I think Trump should carry Ohio unless the economy collapses. In the other three states, it won't take a lot of voters switching sides to flip those to the Democrat. The younger age cohorts entering the electorate also tend to be less supportive of the president than those in the oldest group who voted in 2016 but won't be around in 2020.

Regarding the original question, record turnout means that the preferences of the voter eligible population as a whole are more likely to be reflected. The average of poll aggregations for months have suggested that a little over 40% approve of the president and a little over 50% disapprove, with the balance being undecided. There is no guaranteed outcome, but even with the electoral college and an imperfect Democratic nominee, those numbers are not promising for Trump.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:34 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
That sounds unrealistic. Which 8 states?
I lost the list I wrote. I count 8 states and an electoral district now: Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, New York, Vermont, Delaware, and DC. That would be approximately 408-130, minus a few electors casting other votes.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:41 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
In 2018 we had the highest percentage of voting in a mid-term election in 100 years.

Interest in the 2020 election is already at a level usually seen in the month of the eelction, and we’re still a year and a half out.

Assuming we do have a tsunami of a turnout, how do you see it playing out?

https://www.axios.com/2020-president...387416119.html
Unfortunately - a massive turn out means that Trump will probably lose.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:47 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I lost the list I wrote. I count 8 states and an electoral district now: Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, New York, Vermont, Delaware, and DC. That would be approximately 408-130, minus a few electors casting other votes.
Lol. MD? CT? NJ? CO? VA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections