Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,400,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
That is the puzzling part when it comes to Trump supporters. Trump is a amoeba who's opinions of topics change with the wind. His followers expect that you also change your opinions as fast as he does or your not a TRUE supporter.

His supporters help to keep his ceiling down by calling for a purity test that cannot be passed, if you actually believe in things. Trump has twisted his party into a pretzel tryin to follow his illogical behavior.
How is this any different than Obama? As Candidate Obama he was against lobbyists in the White House. As President Obama he welcomed lobbyists in the White House.

As candidate Obama he said we need to go after and prosecute the bankers that broke our laws. As President Obama, he richly rewarded them.

As candidate Obama he was against the wars and would bring the troops home. As president Obama he expanded the wars.

I can continue, the list is long. When people refused to hold Obama accountable for his lies, I said there was a repercussion coming over that and here we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 11:14 AM

6,044 posts, read 2,280,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How is this any different than Obama? As Candidate Obama he was against lobbyists in the White House. As President Obama he welcomed lobbyists in the White House.

As candidate Obama he said we need to go after and prosecute the bankers that broke our laws. As President Obama, he richly rewarded them.

As candidate Obama he was against the wars and would bring the troops home. As president Obama he expanded the wars.

I can continue, the list is long. When people refused to hold Obama accountable for his lies, I said there was a repercussion coming over that and here we are.
Everything you said is true. But it does not invalidate what I stated either. In fact it should be a warning shot to Republican everywhere. Trump is the polar opposite of Trump as was Bush before him, if this keeps up, the person following Trump will continue this trend.

In fact is will be easier because we now have one party who's agenda is completely controlled by a person in a Temporary position with no real convictions other than Tariffs or Wall and can only be in place for 6 more years at most. So that party will remain rudderless and without a clear message to defend against a Democratic Trump like character.

Trump will not be the last President with authoritarian tendencies and those supporting Trump and condone the continued consolidation of power in the executive branch today, will rue the day a figure like Trump with a D instead of a R comes into power.

Just remember a President's allowed Overreach today = The next President's starting point.

And

An ineffective congress = an ineffective electorate outside of President elections.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 06-09-2019 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 12:02 PM

14,986 posts, read 9,917,323 times
The process worked the last time, with only Slight adjustments.

The difference will be all the "material" the dems bash each other with. It's opposition party providing research. The other part is the successful record president Trump can run on, however he still needs to maintain with how import the judicial appointments are to the nation, and how important immigration reform is.

He's vulnerable on health care , but that is a place where "how it's accomplished" is still an open dialogue.

I'll go on record now and say president Trump wins the popular vote... unless there is a major collapse of the economy.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:10 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,400,217 times
Quote:
Everything you said is true. But it does not invalidate what I stated either. In fact it should be a warning shot to Republican everywhere. Trump is the polar opposite of Trump as was Bush before him, if this keeps up, the person following Trump will continue this trend.
I'll say the same thing I did about Obama. I said that if his supporters won't hold him accountable for his lies there would be backlash and the next president would be even worse. We see what happened. With Trump, the left isn't going to swing to the middle of the road like Trump supporters will wish. No, they will go even further left.

I'm good with that.

Quote:
In fact is will be easier because we now have one party who's agenda is completely controlled by a person in a Temporary position with no real convictions other than Tariffs or Wall and can only be in place for 6 more years at most. So that party will remain rudderless and without a clear message to defend against a Democratic Trump like character.

Trump will not be the last President with authoritarian tendencies and those supporting Trump and condone the continued consolidation of power in the executive branch today, will rue the day a figure like Trump with a D instead of a R comes into power.

Just remember a President's allowed Overreach today = The next President's starting point.

And

An ineffective congress = an ineffective electorate outside of President elections.
That's been my argument for a long time.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:51 PM

114 posts, read 91,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Re-Elect Trump campaign starts officially on June 18 with a rally in Orlando, Florida. The venue, the Amway Center, holds 20,000. It will be followed by a series of rallies in swing states.

Questions:

How will this campaign differ from his 2016 campaign?

Is it a plus or a negative for President Trump that no Republican is running against him in the Republican primaries?

Will there be low turnout for the Republican primaries if he has no opponents?

I can vote in either primary in my state and so can some others in their states. If President Trump has no real opponents, will we see Republicans voting for a Democrat who is most beatable in the Democrat primaries rather than voting for Trump in the Republican primaries? If yes, do you think the media will spin this the wrong way, that is, to chalk it up as low support for Trump? If they do, will the media once again be the ones who create the wrong expectations (it's in the bag) for Democrats in the general election?
It is a plus. However Weld is running and isn't a threat. Kasich might jump in. Larry Sabato has a great article on incumbents in the primaries and how their vote % reflects if they'll be reelected.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,861,031 times
Quote:
That is the puzzling part when it comes to Trump supporters. Trump is a amoeba who's opinions of topics change with the wind. His followers expect that you also change your opinions as fast as he does or your not a TRUE supporter.

His supporters help to keep his ceiling down by calling for a purity test that cannot be passed, if you actually believe in things. Trump has twisted his party into a pretzel tryin to follow his illogical behavior.
Actually it's pretty simple. Trump supporters care mostly about two issues; abortion and opposition to LGBT rights. As long as Trump doesn't waver on those two issues, his base will remain committed.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 AM

14,986 posts, read 9,917,323 times
It's about the economy, KISS. You can't logically define a Trump supporter through the lens of hate.

Deplorables rule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections