Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 11:39 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times

Advertisements

The Re-Elect Trump campaign starts officially on June 18 with a rally in Orlando, Florida. The venue, the Amway Center, holds 20,000. It will be followed by a series of rallies in swing states.

Questions:

How will this campaign differ from his 2016 campaign?

Is it a plus or a negative for President Trump that no Republican is running against him in the Republican primaries?

Will there be low turnout for the Republican primaries if he has no opponents?

I can vote in either primary in my state and so can some others in their states. If President Trump has no real opponents, will we see Republicans voting for a Democrat who is most beatable in the Democrat primaries rather than voting for Trump in the Republican primaries? If yes, do you think the media will spin this the wrong way, that is, to chalk it up as low support for Trump? If they do, will the media once again be the ones who create the wrong expectations (it's in the bag) for Democrats in the general election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 12:21 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,118,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Re-Elect Trump campaign starts officially on June 18 with a rally in Orlando, Florida. The venue, the Amway Center, holds 20,000. It will be followed by a series of rallies in swing states.

Questions:

Massive Hispanic outreach and a record of financial success to sell them. More black outreach as well.

Quote:
Is it a plus or a negative for President Trump that no Republican is running against him in the Republican primaries?
Bill Weld is. I would not be surprised to see Romney, Kasich, or Haley get into it.

If they don't run or are insignificant, it is a massive financial advantage. If they do run and form a significant opposition ala Pat Buchanan or Ted Kennedy, it is a sign of big trouble.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
I can vote in either primary in my state and so can some others in their states. If President Trump has no real opponents, will we see Republicans voting for a Democrat who is most beatable in the Democrat primaries rather than voting for Trump in the Republican primaries? If yes, do you think the media will spin this the wrong way, that is, to chalk it up as low support for Trump? If they do, will the media once again be the ones who create the wrong expectations (it's in the bag) for Democrats in the general election?
The media is always going to lie for the Dems, regardless, even though we got RINOs like McCain and Romney through these same processes. My advice is vote for Warren, who has the best I AM A CLOWN/I MIGHT WIN THE PRIMARY ratio. The old white guys are going to fade once the perennial victims start crying, and it is either going to be Warren or Harris that rises.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:41 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,208,036 times
Even if Trump himself has no significant Republican opposition, in many states the primaries for Congress and other offices will be taking place at the same time as the presidential primaries. Republican voters would likely prioritize choosing their preferred candidates for downballot races rather than trying to get Trump the weakest possible Democratic opponent. Even if they cross over, their clout in the Democratic primaries would be vastly outnumbered by regular Democrats.

Expecting the general election to be "in the bag" for either side would be a faulty premise, unless there is a major economic downturn. Voices in the media who want Trump out of office realize that making Democratic voters complacent wouldn't result in their goal being accomplished.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
I'll go on record that there will be a Republican to step into the race (someone other than Weld).

Old 06-02-2019, 01:03 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
I just don't know which Republican on Capitol Hill could claim they actually accomplished something in order to run against him. I feel the same way about the Democrats. They're (D's and R's) all talkers not do-ers. If I was a Democrat I'd probably vote for a governor or a businessman or woman in their primaries.

I think campaigning this time will be different for Trump because he'll have a record to run on but he's going to miss having an adversary. The Never Trumpers have nothing. He'd squash them like a bug.

I think there will be low turnout for the Republican primaries even if some big name Republican gets in and the media will spin that and say Trump has no support compared to the Democrat who wins that primary.

Weld. Before he announced he was running for president, I never heard of him. I would imagine that would be true for a lot of folks in the states Trump carried in 2016. If I was Trump, I wouldn't mention Weld at all, don't give him a nickname and keep him in the dark with voters. He goes on Maher's show and makes "gender equality" his big issue? He's pro-abortion. He comes from a state that everyone calls Taxachusetts. He's Bill Kristol's wet dream of a candidate if anyone actually listened to Kristol anymore.

I don't forgive two-time loser Romney or "I only carried my own state" Kasich and I think a lot of voters feel the same way.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
I can see Amash running.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,373 times
I can see Trump arranging for an adversaty to allow for debates that will get him an earlier public forum for his plans.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:34 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I can see Trump arranging for an adversity to allow for debates that will get him an earlier public forum for his plans.
That's a reasonable expectation. Trump will need some opposition from within his party to widen his support base.
It's a real problem when a candidate's floor, their solid base of support, is also their ceiling. The ceiling has to be high enough to win by allowing more voters in.

Trump's base has been very hostile to anyone who wants to enter who is not already fully committed to Trump. That alone is going to be a big problem for him next year.

He also needs confrontation with an opponent personally, as he's not very good at defense, but very good at attack.

When attacking his opposition, Trump never plays by any of the unwritten political rules, but on defense, those rules always apply. Trump rose in 2016 in a crowded field of players who were all following the same rules by defying those rules.

If there is no one for him to defy in the primaries, all his Democratic opponent has to do is open the doors to the undecided or the hesitant wider and invite them in.

Those doors are in the mind, not on any auditorium.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:

Questions:

I crossed over and voted for Bernie for that reason last time. Not sure what I will do now. The field is too big to even figure it out yet. I am sure some of them will be gone by the primary.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,234,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's a reasonable expectation. Trump will need some opposition from within his party to widen his support base.
It's a real problem when a candidate's floor, their solid base of support, is also their ceiling. The ceiling has to be high enough to win by allowing more voters in.

Trump's base has been very hostile to anyone who wants to enter who is not already fully committed to Trump. That alone is going to be a big problem for him next year.

He also needs confrontation with an opponent personally, as he's not very good at defense, but very good at attack.

When attacking his opposition, Trump never plays by any of the unwritten political rules, but on defense, those rules always apply. Trump rose in 2016 in a crowded field of players who were all following the same rules by defying those rules.

If there is no one for him to defy in the primaries, all his Democratic opponent has to do is open the doors to the undecided or the hesitant wider and invite them in.

Those doors are in the mind, not on any auditorium.

That is the puzzling part when it comes to Trump supporters. Trump is a amoeba who's opinions of topics change with the wind. His followers expect that you also change your opinions as fast as he does or your not a TRUE supporter.

His supporters help to keep his ceiling down by calling for a purity test that cannot be passed, if you actually believe in things. Trump has twisted his party into a pretzel tryin to follow his illogical behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections