Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll note that reading the Breitbart article made me kind of sad for the politics of eras gone by. As back then it actually was viewed as a great thing to be a public servant. If anything this post made me wonder if Biden still has the zeal he has for public service like he did in 1973. I doubt he does considering the drastic changes in politics today.

Anyone who goes from 31 to plus 70 years old who doesn't change their mind on political topics - I'd be wary of them. Everyone grows and changes and so comments from a 1973 speech IMO are just not all that impactful.

It reminds me of the black face stuff too from the 1970s and 1980s. I really DGAF about who was in blackface in the 1970s and 1980s or prior because that was common for people to do since displays of prejudice and racism were more commonly accepted back then.
i.e "I won't address what Biden did. So I'll create a broad generalization to give him a free pass for it."

It's clear that if Biden had had his way then, the Civil Rights movement would not have happened. He's on record many times being against it along with being against equal rights for women. In fact, he's come out on the wrong side of history endless times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,094,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes it does. There's a 1/2 dozen soundcloud clips included.
Good effort but none of these posters want to actually listen to the recordings. Too busy whining about Trump and assessing and tearing down every single syllable and nuance coming from him, even before he won the election and they haven’t missed a day since.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM

12,982 posts, read 13,734,607 times
I think its good for Biden if he is put in a bad light to try make black people not vote for him. I'm reminded of when Jessie Jacson voiced his displeasure for Obama on a "hot mic". It convinced the middle and moderates to support Obama one they knew that Jackson "hated" this guy. Once Obama was elected Jackson was moved to tears of joy at his acceptance speech. So carry on!

Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 PM

2,923 posts, read 983,270 times
nothing burger. people said negro back then. and colored too.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:03 PM

8,519 posts, read 8,895,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
here's the direct clip:

[soundcloud=400]632889354[/soundcloud]

biden is responding to a question about southern senators becoming "warmer to the problems of the negro in america". his response is actually in defense of republican politicians in the south.

That link doesn't work for me or I don't know how to make it.

The only things I've been able to see are really short clips. They are not "lectures" to me until I actually hear one. All I can find at Breitbart are short clips.

So far my only reaction is that he had an arrogant demeanor 45 years ago as a new young politician.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-11-2019 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
here's the direct clip:

[soundcloud=400]632889354[/soundcloud]

biden is responding to a question about southern senators becoming "warmer to the problems of the negro in america". his response is actually in defense of republican politicians in the south.

That link doesn't work for me or I don't know how to make it.

The only things I've been able to hear so far are really short clips.

So far my only reaction is that he had an arrogant demeanor 45 years ago as a new young politician.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Ok, here is the full speech.

https://www.cityclub.org/inc/audio-p...?event_id=1302

Listening now.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:22 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,198,906 times
Once again, someone who is assumed not to be Black trying to tell Black people what they should feel offended by. Another /Fail/

Old 06-11-2019, 03:25 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've been called "white b*tch" and "white devil" by black folks. The stupidity runs rampant in all races.

It is the best course of action not to even care what someone calls you. Name calling doesn't hurt me, it does make me laugh at the idiot who called me that, though.

ITA about the bold. I've had to threaten black people as well who used racist threats and threatening language to white co-workers and staff at places I worked at when I was an HR rep. One in particular was an older group of black people who kept trying to 'ban' one of our social workers, who was a white woman from coming to work at their building. Ironically, she was the best social worker on our staff and really had a great record of helping low income seniors with basically any sort of support or service they needed to keep them out of nursing homes or tragic situations. She was even recognized by lots of national organizations for social workers who worked in the field of Aging Services. They called her a white devil as well and other things. I had to threaten to have them kicked out of the building and remind them that they did not own where they lived and to not harrass or threaten people based on their ethnicity or appearance or religion.

Working with the public taught me that everyone has their crazy. I personally don't believe humans are different races. We are all the same race, but every culture, ethnic group, and ancestral community do indeed have their rampant stupidity.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
i.e "I won't address what Biden did. So I'll create a broad generalization to give him a free pass for it."

It's clear that if Biden had had his way then, the Civil Rights movement would not have happened. He's on record many times being against it along with being against equal rights for women. In fact, he's come out on the wrong side of history endless times.

What did he do that I didn't address?

I noted I don't want Biden to win the nomination. If I vote in the Democratic primary (and I will if a republican doesn't primary Trump) then I won't vote for him at all.

However, I did address the comments. Negro is not a slur and in that era basically all white people had racist, paternalistic views of black people. Many of you still do, which is why you try to tell us what is "good" for us in regards to voting and other issues that aren't your business. Nearly all white men felt they had a right to tell women what to do with their bodies. I wasn't even born in 1973-1974. This for me is nothing that makes me more or less likely to vote for him in the primary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections