Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 AM

12,411 posts, read 8,207,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
What did the African American community call themselves in 1973. It would help to at least have a frame of reference here. I know what it was, and I also know the term "African American" was not popular until late 80's at the earliest.

I don't think Biden will win the nomination, not sure why efforts like these are necessary. Reason why? Black people will vote for the candidate that they believe can beat Trump, Biden slides and they will move to the next one. The Black vote seems to be more practical than anything else at this time.
As I remember most newspapers would use Negro, older folks still held on to colored. My grandmother in Louisiana used colored until her death while those of us in Los Angeles went from Negro to black. There was some usage of Afro-American but black eventually won the cultural language war until the push for African American a decade later.

Like my grandmother stood with colored I self identify as black and don't normally think in terms of African American or bi/multi racial. I also don't look down at people using the term which was appropriate for their generation. Especially if we are listening to them far in the past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,736,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Did you listen to the recordings?
An excerpt from MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech:

https://www.blackpast.org/african-am...-i-have-dream/

"But one hundred years later, we must face the tragic fact that the Negro is still not free."

So according to you, should we also be outraged about MLK's speech now?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 AM

6,008 posts, read 2,259,858 times
Quote:
It's in the OP.

Nothing good about it at all.

The OP was pointing to Biden saying "Negro" in 1973. Since that is not a concern, what else is there? WHy should I listen to it? Perhaps offer a summary so I can see listening to a 40 year old speech is worth the time.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,720,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
As I remember most newspapers would use Negro, older folks still held on to colored. My grandmother in Louisiana used colored until her death while those of us in Los Angeles went from Negro to black. There was some usage of Afro-American but black eventually won the cultural language war until the push for African American a decade later.

Like my grandmother stood with colored I self identify as black and don't normally think in terms of African American or bi/multi racial. I also don't look down at people using the term which was appropriate for their generation. Especially if we are listening to them far in the past

It's not that he used the term. But it's what he said about to about that community. I suggest that you listen to the audio. I get that Democrats want to dismiss this anyway they can, but his remarks were insensitive to both Blacks & Women. This at a time when Civil Rights were one of the most important issues facing the USA at the time.

8,302 posts, read 5,736,944 times
Quote:
It's in the OP.

Nothing good about it at all.
All the OP says is that he made "racially insensitive" comments.

What exactly were those racially insensitive comments?

(my god, I can't believe I'm here defending *BIDEN!* )

27,715 posts, read 16,217,191 times
“But, but people used that term then”
they also enslaved them in the past. its all good, right?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:35 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,953,558 times
Quote:
As Biden was a recent widower, having lost both his first wife, Neilia Biden, and 13-month-old daughter in a deadly car accident shortly after his election to the Senate in December 1972, a good deal of the interview was a reminiscence of his life before the tragedy.

“Neilia was my very best friend, my greatest ally, my sensuous lover,” Biden told Kelley. “The longer we lived together the more we enjoyed everything from sex to sports. Most guys don’t really know what I lost because they never knew what I had.”

“Let me show you my favorite picture of her,” Biden said as he held up a photo of his late wife in a bikini. “She had the best body of any woman I ever saw. She looks better than a Playboy bunny, doesn’t she?”

Although opposed to his Senate campaign, Biden said his first wife got involved because he “would come back too tired to talk to her.”

“At first she stayed at home with the kids while I campaigned, but that didn’t work out because I’d come back too tired to talk to her,” Biden said. “I might satisfy her in bed but I didn’t have much time for anything else.”

Old 06-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
All the OP says is that he made "racially insensitive" comments.

What exactly were those racially insensitive comments?

(my god, I can't believe I'm here defending *BIDEN!* )

It's right there in the article in his own words. Including "“I was probably one of those phony liberals…the kind that go out of their way to be nice to a minority....."

And there are plenty more. If you don't want to read it, I understand.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 AM

26,580 posts, read 14,494,590 times
Quote:
It's in the OP.

the article doesn't contain a transcript nor does the recording contain the part where biden says “was good for the Negro,”.

the clip is pretty much just biden defending politicians, on both sides of the aisle, presumably in the aftermath of watergate.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
the article doesn't contain a transcript nor does the recording contain the part where biden says “was good for the Negro,”..
Yes it does. There's a 1/2 dozen soundcloud clips included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections