Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:45 AM

19,385 posts, read 6,546,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
What did the African American community call themselves in 1973. It would help to at least have a frame of reference here. I know what it was, and I also know the term "African American" was not popular until late 80's at the earliest.

I don't think Biden will win the nomination, not sure why efforts like these are necessary. Reason why? Black people will vote for the candidate that they believe can beat Trump, Biden slides and they will move to the next one. The Black vote seems to be more practical than anything else at this time.
"Negro" died in the 1960s. He was still calling black people that in 1973?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM

53,280 posts, read 35,008,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
As much as I dislike Biden, even I can admit this is extremely weak sauce.

Any black person knows the term Negro was commonly used as a terms of endearment back in those days. Ever heard of the "United Negro College Fund?"
agreed. it says much more about the ridiculous changes in terminology - for example, 'colored people' is now considered horrifically insensitive while 'people of color' is perfectly acceptable [] - than it does about biden.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM

73,130 posts, read 62,979,394 times
Okay, Biden is no good. That does not give me any reason to vote for Trump. I don't plan on supporting Biden. However, if this is some "Blacks should vote Republican ploy". it's not happening.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:51 AM

17,036 posts, read 12,658,824 times
Hint for Democrats.

What your opponent (The OP) shows needs to be taken with a grain of salt. So why are those right of center pushing Biden down????

I have my doubts any current Dem could win. I do not believe the agenda being pushed by the base like SJW, boys who say they are girls getting to compete against biological girls, etc plays well to swing voters, but it is ultimately for them to decide. Biden presents a more traditional liberal Dem message, but it may well be beaten by the creepy factor.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Okay, Biden is no good. That does not give me any reason to vote for Trump. I don't plan on supporting Biden. However, if this is some "Blacks should vote Republican ploy". it's not happening.
I don't see it that way. What I see is that Democrats have been screaming that Trump (and anyone who voted for him) is a racist, as though the Democrats are so free of bigotry themselves. This just shows that Biden is a racist himself.

Also, his remark about "he'll put ya-all back in chains" is an insult to the intelligence of black people. IMHO. And don't forget about his remark about OBama being a "clean black." If Dems are attempting to win this election by accusing the other side of racism, they would do better than to put Biden up as the nominee.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 AM

2,486 posts, read 830,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
A true picture of the man the Democrats call "front runner" is emerging from Joe Biden. It's not very flattering. This is a speech he gave in Ohio in 1973. In it among other things, he demeans a woman reporter by calling her "lovely" and then going on to say that both Democrats & Republican politicians are "Good for the Negro".

This while falsely claiming to have marched in the Civil Rights Movement.
"Former Vice President Joe Biden, the current 2020 Democratic presidential frontrunner, made racially insensitive remarks and comments women might find offensive in a 1973 speech."
Joe Biden, 1973: Full Audio Emerges of Rollicking Speech Senator Gave to Cleveland City Club

(and yeah, some of you Biden apologists will immediately dismiss this because it's coming from Bretbart but the audio of the speech is there for anyone willing to listen)
We live in a time where whatever a person did or said 40 years ago, even if they were a teen, is fair game to rake them over the coals.

In that time it was considered respectful to refer to African Americans and Negro's, in the 80s it became "colored", in the 90s "black", now African Americans.

It's called historical relevance. He wasn't being insensitive at all.

PC should stand for Perspective Cookoos. Proof that history has been abandoned as well as common sense.

Uncle Joe doesn't stand a chance and it isn't from the right. The party he has served for 50+ years is now his enemy.

The Democratic Party has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Yes he isn't, no it doesn't, I figured as much, and it isn't a ploy and yes it is. Hold your breath and watch it happen.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,774,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I speak wise words View Post
That’s the point. They don’t want you to vote for Trump. They want you to stay home on Election Day so Trump can win.
Who is "They"?

Better than that, why don't you ask Biden to disavow from what he said about women & blacks? He's apparently refusing to address that speech now.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 8,263,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
"Negro" died in the 1960s. He was still calling black people that in 1973?
As I am too young to remember much of the 60's, politics wise. However I do remember the early 70's. Black and negro were pretty much interchangeable. Books were still Great Moments in Negro History as an example. Everybody could not be on the cutting edge during a cultural change over period. Just as some tried to be with Afro-American and missed in their attempt to choose a term that stuck as first colored, then negro,black and finally African American has.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I speak wise words View Post
Honey nice try but democrats will be electing Biden. Get used to it. If you think you can fool democrats when the president failed to condemn the racist killing of an innocent woman in 2017 by a white supremacist then you are delusional.
Doesn't matter to me. Trump will win against any of them.

And I'm not your honey. That's a disrespectful and condescending way to address a woman. I thought you liberals were all about respecting women. (Or is that just women who agree with you?)

Old 06-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
As I am too young to remember much of the 60's, politics wise. However I do remember the early 70's. Black and negro were pretty much interchangeable. Books were still Great Moments in Negro History as an example. Everybody could not be on the cutting edge during a cultural change over period. Just as some tried to be with Afro-American and missed in their attempt to choose a term that stuck as first colored, then negro,black and finally African American has.
Where do you grow up? I grew up in one of the most liberal states in the country, next to one of the most liberal cities, and we were NOT saying Negro by the late 60s ( when I was a kid). Early 60s, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections