Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually,

Joe Biden's comment involved Blacks. I figured that particular part was picked because it involves Blacks. And the threads I dug up, I'm learning more and more.
False argument. Nothing said in the OP about the Black vote. Those other links have nothing to do with this topic.

I do get however why you attempt 100% to detract from the actual topic at hand. There's absolutely no defense for that speech that Biden made. It was offensive to minorities, it ws offensive to women, and it was condescending to the American people in general. So in an attempt to give him a free pass, you try o change the narrative to something else.

Of course Democrats will do this with Biden too, and in as such, demonstrate to the American people, they really don't stand for anything but words at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,298 times
He was one of the biggest pro-life advocates in Congress a few years ago. It’s comical how these career politicians change their stances in order to get elected. They are snakes with no principles.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,436,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There's absolutely no defense for that speech that Biden made. It was offensive to minorities,...

did you listen to the recording? can you quote the question biden was responding to?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,364 times
Quote:
A true picture of the man the Democrats call "front runner" is emerging from Joe Biden. It's not very flattering. This is a speech he gave in Ohio in 1973. In it among other things, he demeans a woman reporter by calling her "lovely" and then going on to say that both Democrats & Republican politicians are "Good for the Negro".

This while falsely claiming to have marched in the Civil Rights Movement.
"Former Vice President Joe Biden, the current 2020 Democratic presidential frontrunner, made racially insensitive remarks and comments women might find offensive in a 1973 speech."
Joe Biden, 1973: Full Audio Emerges of Rollicking Speech Senator Gave to Cleveland City Club

(and yeah, some of you Biden apologists will immediately dismiss this because it's coming from Bretbart but the audio of the speech is there for anyone willing to listen)

Hate to burst you theory, but in 1973 Negro was not an offensive term. Not even today.

Nice try though.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,233,255 times
Guess we know the OP's age range, likely born after the 1980's.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Yeah, whatever. If Biden is the candidate, I’m voting for him over Trump.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
“But, but people used that term then”
they also enslaved them in the past. its all good, right?
I thought you righties wanted us black folks to “forget about the past...it’s not important.” Right?

Okay, well I’m conveniently forgetting about it right now.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:16 AM

4,655 posts, read 1,948,561 times
A few years ago i had an elderly black guy as my neighbor. He was something straight out of time. He didn't own a car but every day i would see him in dress slacks a dress shirt and a bow tie, along with a jaunty hat. He would go to the local church to volunteer every day. He made me feel a bit lazy in my jeans and t-shirt he was a very elegant guy. Several times i heard him arguing with his grandson because he didn't want to be described as African American. The older man always wanted to be called Colored or even Negro. He felt the term African American was a bit insulting because he wasn't from Africa. The grandson always argued that those were racist terms, the two could never agree. Times change and people's perceptions change. I wouldn't vote for Biden but it wouldn't be because of something like this. He reflected his times.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
It might surprise someone to know that the words; Africans, Freeman, Freedman, colored, contraband, Afro-American, black, Negro and the infamous n-word were at one time or another all being used ,sometimes together, to describe an ethnic group in America. With the exception of the N word none of them are derogatory.

I know black men in their eighties and nineties who still use Negro. It was a hard fought battle to get that kind of respectability and they are not going to let it go. There were black newspapers in small towns called The Afro-American 100 years ago ( I have an original copy of one). Biden is a smart politician and to use the word Negro in 1973 he is speaking to black men of my fathers age who see that word as a form of respect.

Trumps past won't stand up to this kind of scrutiny. If Biden gets the nomination Barack Hussein Obama will hit the trail for him and round up the far left behind him. That is the Republican's night mare, Trump can't win against the moderates, the Democrats, and the far left all behind Biden.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
A true picture of the man the Democrats call "front runner" is emerging from Joe Biden. It's not very flattering. This is a speech he gave in Ohio in 1973. In it among other things, he demeans a woman reporter by calling her "lovely" and then going on to say that both Democrats & Republican politicians are "Good for the Negro".

This while falsely claiming to have marched in the Civil Rights Movement.
"Former Vice President Joe Biden, the current 2020 Democratic presidential frontrunner, made racially insensitive remarks and comments women might find offensive in a 1973 speech."
Joe Biden, 1973: Full Audio Emerges of Rollicking Speech Senator Gave to Cleveland City Club

(and yeah, some of you Biden apologists will immediately dismiss this because it's coming from Bretbart but the audio of the speech is there for anyone willing to listen)
And?

Old guys have history.

Is this supposed to be news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections