Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:20 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
"What's Good for the Negro"

The term negro is still an acceptable non-derisive term, it's just not common anymore, it was never offensive. It just means black. Anyone who gets upset about it must be young, or failing that, was out of touch when they were young.

I almost exclusively use the term 'African-American' in speech and when posting on social media, but sometimes otherwise 'black', the term 'negro' is old fashioned today.
Great way to void the issue. It's not the fact that he used the word, but in how he used it. He used Black too. What's good for the Black man. Many other zingers in there about him being a false liberal just pretending to be nice to minorities.

Of course you guys refuse to address it. It breaks the manufactured image of Joe Biden today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,628,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Well, since you mentioned Trump...

Also from 1973:

"In 1973, Trump and his company Trump Management were sued by the U.S. Department of Justice for housing discrimination against black renters—a lawsuit which, according to Trump, he settled without an admission of guilt.[5][6][7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial...f_Donald_Trump

If you believe that Biden's past is relevant, this must be too, right?

Right?
According to Trump supporters, anything Trump said or did prior to 2016 is irrelevant. Anything said or did by a Democrat from when they were born to now is relevant. You really can't make up their hypocrisy.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,192,690 times
I don't see how this makes Biden any worse or better than any other candidate. White people do things because one of the main goals in life is to be well off, not because they need so badly to do good for black people or even care what happens to blacks as a race - especially if it impacts whites negatively.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,071 times
I don't like listening to long audio speeches. Is there a transcript to read?

However, it would be not surprising to me that Biden made racially insensitive remarks. Nearly all politicians did in 1973. On the issue of race, I've stated repeatedly that black Americans know that both white liberals and conservatives can be and some are racist. It would be ridiculous to think otherwise.

On women's issues, in 1973 the women's rights was a hot button issue and it would not be surprising that he or any other politican said those things either.

I'll note as well that I'm not big on re-hashing things people said before I was born. I gave a "pass" on Paula Deen for her use of the n-word and thought it was ridiculous people were bashing her for that years ago when she said it decades ago when it was common of white southerners to do so.

White men in general - it was common for them to not like the issue of "women's rights" and to feel they had a "say" in the control of a woman's body. I'm glad a significant amount of white men and men in general today have changed their minds on the subject, but many have not, which is plainly evident in this forum whenever an abortion thread pops up.

On race, it is similar to the women's issue cited above. White people in America have a longstanding tradition of thinking they know what is best for black people (and FWIW "Negro" is not a slur, I routinely call myself and other's Negro even to this day). So none of this seems revelatory. He also was 30 years old. I'd think he'd have matured a bit in almost 50 years.

FYI I don't want Biden as president because he is too old. But he is better on both racial and women's issues than the GOP nominee if said nominee is Trump and if he is the Dem candidate, I will vote for him.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I don't see how this makes Biden any worse or better than any other candidate. White people do things because one of the main goals in life is to be well off, not because they need so badly to do good for black people or even care what happens to blacks as a race - especially if it impacts whites negatively.
I agree with this and will note I especially agree that most white people really don't care much at all about black people and are only thinking about their own daily lives. It is why they get upset about racial politics in the first place. Most of them just don't care and don't see it as important because it doesn't impact or affect them. Some do care, but IMO most don't and I honestly don't have an issue with them not caring.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 AM

I'll note that reading the Breitbart article made me kind of sad for the politics of eras gone by. As back then it actually was viewed as a great thing to be a public servant. If anything this post made me wonder if Biden still has the zeal he has for public service like he did in 1973. I doubt he does considering the drastic changes in politics today.

Anyone who goes from 31 to plus 70 years old who doesn't change their mind on political topics - I'd be wary of them. Everyone grows and changes and so comments from a 1973 speech IMO are just not all that impactful.

It reminds me of the black face stuff too from the 1970s and 1980s. I really DGAF about who was in blackface in the 1970s and 1980s or prior because that was common for people to do since displays of prejudice and racism were more commonly accepted back then.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 PM

8,535 posts, read 6,966,242 times
This stuff is really the Achilles Heel of long serving politicians. A very long record and invariably something embarrassing makes it to the public eye.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:04 PM

The post about Negro Mountain and Runaway Negro Creek (which was recently re-named) have been spoken about before in black history and genealogical groups I'm a member of online by predominantly black people/posters.

I actually have no problem with the word Negro and Negro Mountain in particular is in an area where some of my ancestors lived. It was mentioned in your article that MD and PA where the mountain is located do not want to change the name since it is named after someone considered a "Negro" hero.

I do have issues with places that use "Ni**er" in their naming practices, but not Negro. I honestly have no issue with "Runaway Negro Creek." I'm sure they once use "Ni**er" instead of Negro for that one though. Many of these causes are pushed by white people to change names that include "Negro" over some sort of faux paternalistic outrage IMO.

So it depends on who you ask. Most black people in this country who are aware of black history and just in general, don't have a problem with the word Negro. There was actually a movement of black people in the 20th century to advocate for the capitalization of the "N" in Negro as they felt leaving it lowercase was disrespectful to black people. What RalphKirk mentioned in that Negro started to go out of style basically in the 1960s is correct. I research my local area and there was a prominent black lawyer here who was interviewed in the late 1970s/early1980s by a white woman from our library system about his life for an oral archive of black history. She asked him why he referred to himself as a Negro and he stated he was born a Negro and he'd die a Negro lol. He didn't care what other black people called him but he was a Negro American. It made me laugh the way he said it.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:10 PM

21,967 posts, read 25,327,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
A true picture of the man the Democrats call "front runner" is emerging from Joe Biden. It's not very flattering. This is a speech he gave in Ohio in 1973. In it among other things, he demeans a woman reporter by calling her "lovely" and then going on to say that both Democrats & Republican politicians are "Good for the Negro".

This while falsely claiming to have marched in the Civil Rights Movement.
"Former Vice President Joe Biden, the current 2020 Democratic presidential frontrunner, made racially insensitive remarks and comments women might find offensive in a 1973 speech."
Joe Biden, 1973: Full Audio Emerges of Rollicking Speech Senator Gave to Cleveland City Club

(and yeah, some of you Biden apologists will immediately dismiss this because it's coming from Bretbart but the audio of the speech is there for anyone willing to listen)
You're objecting to negro I'm assuming? That was pretty standard. Black people can't decide on a noun to describe black people that's not a pejorative so it's black, African American, negro, colored... waxes and wanes which is the "safe" descriptor for the time. Didn't listen to the contents. That might be offensive and wouldn't really surprise me if it was. It's Biden and 1973 playing to an Ohio audience "subtle racism" would not surprise me at all. You know, the kind that isn't meant to be insulting but that implies blacks are just deficient and in need of looking after.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,192,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll note that reading the Breitbart article made me kind of sad for the politics of eras gone by. As back then it actually was viewed as a great thing to be a public servant. If anything this post made me wonder if Biden still has the zeal he has for public service like he did in 1973. I doubt he does considering the drastic changes in politics today.

Anyone who goes from 31 to plus 70 years old who doesn't change their mind on political topics - I'd be wary of them. Everyone grows and changes and so comments from a 1973 speech IMO are just not all that impactful.

It reminds me of the black face stuff too from the 1970s and 1980s. I really DGAF about who was in blackface in the 1970s and 1980s or prior because that was common for people to do since displays of prejudice and racism were more commonly accepted back then.

As much as I would like to believe this, it's hard to. It's likely that most people don't really change their minds when it comes to political topics. They change their strategies according to current politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections