Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:22 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,312,490 times

Advertisements

Charlie Cook is the founder of “The Cook Political Report.

His “Elite Eight”: Biden, Buttigieg, Booker, Harris, Klobuchar, O’Rourke, Sanders, Warren

Charlie’s “Final Four”:

1. Joe Biden

He compared Biden’s campaign to an overloaded 747. You wonder whether it will get off the ground, but if it does, it has strong potential to go all the way. If his campaign blows up, it’s likely to be early, within 90 days of launch. It’s already been 43 days of launch with no problems.

2. Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren

One has to take out the other fairly early to have a chance for the nomination.

3. Kamala Harris

Will pick up a lot of delegates from California and about 1 out of 4 delegates will be black. Just as Sanders and Warren fight for a spot in the true progressive lane, she’ll fight Booker for black votes.

4. Pete Buttigieg

You wouldn’t normally think that a 37 year old mayor of a small city would have a shot, but he is a wild card.

It’s an entertaining read, at least.

https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/67...O7NXCTZ00D1A1V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 04:40 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,104,018 times
I think right now Final Four look like
Biden
Warren has moved up as the Left Progressive
Harris will pick up more attention as debates go on
Sanders or Buttigieg. Each is filling a different niche but right now Biden and Warren are beating them for their group.

I think Sanders is slipping and he knows it. Buttigieg and Harris need more slippage from Biden.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:16 AM

29,223 posts, read 22,427,890 times
Big deal.

I could have made the same predictions.
Biden's tendency to start fast and hard and then fade half-way through is very well known.

If Sanders was more electable, he would have stolen 2016 from Clinton.

If the Democrats really want to run another woman for the second time in a row, one of the current ladies would now be at the head of the pack.

Same goes for another centrist black guy.

If O'Roarke could best Buttigieg, Beto wouldn't be doing a re-start right now.

I'm pretty sure that by this time next year, there will be an "Elite 8", but I seriously doubt about half those folks on Charlie's list will be in it. I'll give him an Elite 4 at the most.

What I tend to expect is to see one of the unknowns who are now only pulling 2% to figure out the right combination to the puzzle and come a'roaring.

June, 2019 is looking exactly like June, 2015 to me. There was a lot of chum in the water in 2015, and a lot of sharks circling the chum then too, except the sharks were all Republicans. Same chum, different sharks now.

Chum is chum. It's the lure, not the bait. It only says "here's where the good stuff is."

The sharks will always come every election, but none of us know if the biggest fish, the voters, will bite the bait or not just yet.

Last edited by banjomike; 06-13-2019 at 12:28 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 AM

30,693 posts, read 18,319,995 times
I'm praying for a Warren nomination. Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren will be deliciously easy to defeat

Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Cook is a very astute political analyst.

Interesting read, but it's way too early to be making specific calls on who's gonna be riding high a year from now.

A lot can and will happen between now and then to shake things up.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm praying for a Warren nomination. Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren will be deliciously easy to defeat
Don't be getting down on your prayer bones too soon. It's much better for you and your guy to start thinking 2020 will be a tougher year for Trump than 2016 was and begin preparing for it.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:05 PM

30,693 posts, read 18,319,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't be getting down on your prayer bones too soon. It's much better for you and your guy to start thinking 2020 will be a tougher year for Trump than 2016 was and begin preparing for it.
I think 2020 will be easier for Trump than 2016 was, but he has to plan for the race as if hes the underdog still. Just like I pray for a Warren nomination in 2020, I prayed for a Hillary nomination in 2016, especially after it was clear Trump would win the GOP nomination. I strongly believed that Hillary was the easiest Dem to defeat for Trump. I feel similarly about Warren.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think 2020 will be easier for Trump than 2016 was, but he has to plan for the race as if hes the underdog still. Just like I pray for a Warren nomination in 2020, I prayed for a Hillary nomination in 2016, especially after it was clear Trump would win the GOP nomination. I strongly believed that Hillary was the easiest Dem to defeat for Trump. I feel similarly about Warren.
Yup. I agree with your thoughts about Warren. And your thoughts about Hillary too.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:56 AM

8,509 posts, read 8,840,496 times
One month later and three of his “Elite Eight”: Booker, Klobuchar, O’Rourke are looking weak. Klobuchar is already out of the top 8 by poll averages and Booker and O'Rourke are in 6th and 7th and fading. Gabbard is 8th, Castro 9th and both on the rise, at the moment.

For the final four it is looking like Sanders and Warren and Buttigieg probably outside it. Might go as he suggests but not there yet.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:40 PM

21,981 posts, read 9,565,755 times
I think Trump can beat all of them. When people hear Biden speak, he will be out. He is loopy. I don't actually think he will get the nomination. The rest of them are so far to the left, people will not put them in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections