Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:39 PM

9,918 posts, read 7,753,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Only 3 Dems Have a Chance The Rest Are Just Running To Boost Their Political Careers

This is a traditional ploy, used by many. Including Trump, who ran twice as a third-party candidate.

Overall, I'm leaning Warren, because so far, she has the most specific policy proposals.

But I'll know more as the campaign progresses.
Moulton, Delaney, Klobouchar, and Ryan laid out some extensive plans and where they stand on the issues on their site. Bennett only really addressed two issues on his. Gabbard laid out her vision for America on her site. Haven't checked any other candidates out though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 08:21 PM

9,199 posts, read 13,309,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Only these 3 candidates have a chance

Sanders
Warren
O'rourke

Biden will say like 4 more weird thing between now and Nov has popularity will drop like a 50 ton brick

Out of the 3 and Biden the others are just running to boost their political careers

Buttigieg does not have enough political experience to being running now he needs to try again in 8 to 12 years

Harris is the nail in the coffin for republicans she is black and a woman I can see the camping ads if you do not want Obama again see what that got us vote Republican

Booker was sane and level headed a few years ago I do not know why he has gone off the rails some

Castro does not have enough experience either and he is Mexican Republicans hate them
You are right, sometimes people run for President because they want a cabinet position or maybe the publicity to run more seriously 4 or 8 years later or something.

However, I do not think that is the case for Biden. You think Biden is not serious and only running to "boost" his political career? Boost it to what? Biden has already been Vice-President - there is no higher office to "boost" up to over Vice-President except to become President! And he does not needs the publicity that a younger candidate in their 40s or 50s might need for a future run, Biden is already well known.

In other words, whether you like Joe Biden or not, it is clear that he is running for President because he wants to be President.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,822,557 times
I like Biden.

After tonight's tv debates I like Delaney too. I like Seth Moulton, he comes from my state and he's a good, honest man.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 PM

32,147 posts, read 15,169,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Of your choices, my opinion.
  • Bernie Sanders - Not happening. Establishment democrats in the party would rather see Trump remain President over Sanders taking it. His career ended in 2016 when he endorsed Hillary's platform, after running against it. He only comes off as angry now. Many of the Bernie Bros aren't there anymore. They got jobs under Trump and are no longer basement dwellers as Hillary called them.
  • Elizabeth Warren - Unelectable on a national basis. She's never going to get over the DNA thing. The rest of her platform is too radical for the general electorate and more importantly, very unlikeable. Finally, I do agree with Hillary somewhat that the first woman who is elected President is going to have to overcome a bias that men don't face. Warren, IMO, can't pull that off.
  • Beto O'rourke - His campaign is dead. Pete Buttigieg took all his support. Buttigieg is everything that "beh toe" isn't. He did, afterall, spend $80,000,000 to lose an election to a very unlikeable politician.
  • Joe Biden - Default candidate. There's a good chance he'll take the nomination based on what's known now. Nobody likes it, and most don't think he can really win against Trump, but it is what it is. He's the 2020 John Kerry, Mike Dukakis, Bob Dole but not not as good as any of them.
  • Pete Buttigieg - I don't buy, "he needs more experience" stick being applied by establishment democrats. Democrats should know by now that being branded a career establishment politician is a liability with this general electorate. Pete is an outsider, a veteran, not crazy and hasn't been tainted by years of Washington. Buttigieg remains the Democrats best chance at a counter to Trump.
  • Kamala Harris - The announcement of Obama's VP as a candidate seems to killed her chances. Her test will be South Carolina.
  • Cory Booker & Castro - I don't think they will get a fair chance to make their platforms known.
However, there are some unknowns here. There are big parts of the Democrat party which don't seem to be lining up behind Biden. And who are the Obama & Clinton camps really supporting. A lot of this is going to be flushed out in South Carolina.

Biden appeals to the middle class and Trump is afraid of that. Mayor Pete is a Rhodes Scholar, served in the military and speaks many languages. He has a problem though with African Americans. I have no idea who the candidate will be. Booker and Castro did well in the debates though.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:04 PM

29,628 posts, read 16,640,921 times
Quote:
  • Bernie Sanders - Not happening. Establishment democrats in the party would rather see Trump remain President over Sanders taking it. His career ended in 2016 when he endorsed Hillary's platform, after running against it. He only comes off as angry now. Many of the Bernie Bros aren't there anymore. They got jobs under Trump and are no longer basement dwellers as Hillary called them.
1. Democrats dont like Bernie because he divided the party

2. As for the Bold, i have no idea why you would even post something so false.

Quote:
  • Elizabeth Warren - Unelectable on a national basis. She's never going to get over the DNA thing. The rest of her platform is too radical for the general electorate and more importantly, very unlikeable. Finally, I do agree with Hillary somewhat that the first woman who is elected President is going to have to overcome a bias that men don't face. Warren, IMO, can't pull that off.
I agree.

Quote:
  • Beto O'rourke - His campaign is dead. Pete Buttigieg took all his support. Buttigieg is everything that "beh toe" isn't. He did, afterall, spend $80,000,000 to lose an election to a very unlikeable politician.
Ted Cruz spent more on a race he barely won that should have been a land slide.

Quote:
  • Joe Biden - Default candidate. There's a good chance he'll take the nomination based on what's known now. Nobody likes it, and most don't think he can really win against Trump, but it is what it is. He's the 2020 John Kerry, Mike Dukakis, Bob Dole but not not as good as any of them.
John Kerry was one state away from being president. And I would remind you that Trump isnt Bill Clinton,Bush or Bush.

Quote:
  • Pete Buttigieg - I don't buy, "he needs more experience" stick being applied by establishment democrats. Democrats should know by now that being branded a career establishment politician is a liability with this general electorate. Pete is an outsider, a veteran, not crazy and hasn't been tainted by years of Washington. Buttigieg remains the Democrats best chance at a counter to Trump.
You cant beat Trump without the black vote in Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin.

Quote:
  • Kamala Harris - The announcement of Obama's VP as a candidate seems to killed her chances. Her test will be South Carolina.
What ?

Quote:
  • Cory Booker & Castro - I don't think they will get a fair chance to make their platforms known.

true.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 PM

390 posts, read 309,745 times
I like Tulsi Gabbard... but she doesn't stand a chance.

I think Biden will be the nominee. However, if he is, it will be a replay of the 2016 elections.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:23 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,889,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Only these 3 candidates have a chance

Sanders
Warren
O'rourke

Biden will say like 4 more weird thing between now and Nov has popularity will drop like a 50 ton brick

Out of the 3 and Biden the others are just running to boost their political careers

Buttigieg does not have enough political experience to being running now he needs to try again in 8 to 12 years

Harris is the nail in the coffin for republicans she is black and a woman I can see the camping ads if you do not want Obama again see what that got us vote Republican

Booker was sane and level headed a few years ago I do not know why he has gone off the rails some

Castro does not have enough experience either and he is Mexican Republicans hate them

O'Rourke is toast, if not for inexplicably choosing to answer a question in Spanish, then for obfuscating about that 70% tax rate.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:29 PM

1,074 posts, read 645,131 times
Quote:
However, there are some unknowns here. There are big parts of the Democrat party which don't seem to be lining up behind Biden. And who are the Obama & Clinton camps really supporting. A lot of this is going to be flushed out in South Carolina.
Excuse my political ignorance here....

Is Obama sort of "obligated" to support Biden as his choice?
I feel like he is in the sense of what a slap in the face it would be if he didn't, and I think he is too nice a guy to do that. I think the most Obama would do is remain silent; but there are such awesome candidates that my gut tells me he might deep down, with Michelle over morning coffee, like someone else.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:47 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,318,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Biden appeals to the middle class and Trump is afraid of that. Mayor Pete is a Rhodes Scholar, served in the military and speaks many languages. He has a problem though with African Americans. I have no idea who the candidate will be. Booker and Castro did well in the debates though.
I agree. I did not like Elizabeth Warren at all (even though I have family members who canvassed for her in MA) until I actually listened to her town hall. She's definitely more electable than I had previously thought. People like her--she's smart, energetic, confident, she has clear and defined policies and plans. She's a fighter. People could be tired of these candidates who just have 'grand plans' but no details available--ever. Two and a half years in and Trump still has no health care plan.

Simply telling people how policies can be accomplished and paid for is quite a feat these days. She does that. There is a reason Bernie is losing support to her. She's much more personable than Bernie and she is very engaging when one on one.

Bernie was asked yesterday if he would support the Dem nominee if it wasn't him, and he refused to answer period. I did not like that. Then he stated something along the lines of "people have said that if I was the candidate, I would have beat Trump." It sounded childish and desperate. Close my eyes and it could have been Trump with his "well, people say" BS, when it is just something he read on the internet.

Have been pretty neutral on Bernie, but I am beginning to actively dislike him. We don't need a Dem president who is similar to the one already there, but who has extreme policy views in the other direction. Enough with extremists. An extremist will end up like Trump with only 25% of the country behind him.

And this is why we really have no idea who will be the nominee. When you listen to people you have preconceived ideas about--it can change one's mind. Pretty sure that is the way it went with Bill Clinton.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,071 times
With the debates last night, I liked Castro the best.

However I'm an independent and I admit I will vote for any Dem in general election against Trump. Unfortunately for Trump supporters, a lot of Dems and independents are similar to myself in this regard.

I don't particularly like Elizabeth Warren as I think she basically wants too much. I think her and all the candidates who support the Medicare for all program and ending private health insurance are naive or think the American public are naive (and IMO most Americans are naive and ignorant about the insurance industry and how getting rid of it would impact people's jobs and our economy at large). But I do like some other more progressive things she stands for and I think the OP is underestimating the desire of the left for an extremely progressive candidate.

As a black American who knows a lot of other black people, I've been surprised that she is one of the most popular candidates even of black voters considering that Corey Booker is running in particular. Comments today by my black friends on social media was that he had "crazy looking eyes" and seemed frantic in the debate lol. I can see how they got that impression. Warrent even appeals to the black nationalists since she's come out in support of the reparations bill.

But Castro stood out to me. More than likely though I'll vote for Weld in the GOP primary over Trump. I don't think he'll win but I don't really care who wins the Democratic nomination. I especially don't like Sanders or Biden as I think they are both too old to be president (similar to Trump) but either one of them would be better than Trump IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections