Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:25 AM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I heard Trump put in about $40 million of his own money in 2016. That was a small fraction of the total. He is probably not going to be put in much this time.
That's around the number I saw. IIRC, Trump put in 60M of his own, but spent 11M of that money paying his own businesses.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 11:30 AM

8,519 posts, read 8,891,743 times
I updated my initial, by memory, post. Apparently it was low. But, yeah, the exact amount is a bit squishy.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 AM

20,852 posts, read 8,680,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I voted for Ross and also made a contribution to his Campaign. It cost money to run and I'll contribute to Trumps also even if never requests. A contribution is much better than sticking some lousy sign in my front yard.
Easier to fly under the radar with contributions than have a sign in your yard, which can be dangerous if you live in a leftist city or state. You may get your car or house trashed or set on fire or Antifa might dox you.

Buy official campaign merchandise on the campaign website. They are constantly adding new stuff. Made in USA, all money goes toward campaign. Don't buy crap made in China!

Old 07-10-2019, 08:28 PM

33,345 posts, read 12,665,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Easier to fly under the radar with contributions than have a sign in your yard, which can be dangerous if you live in a leftist city or state. You may get your car or house trashed or set on fire or Antifa might dox you.

Buy official campaign merchandise on the campaign website. They are constantly adding new stuff. Made in USA, all money goes toward campaign. Don't buy crap made in China!
My house is in The Woodlands in Montgomery County, TX. Montgomery County is the only county in the country where Trump beat Hillary by more than 100,000 votes. In 2012, Gingrich and Herman Cain had their Presidential debates at the conference center at The Woodlands Resort. In 2016, not much more than a mile away, a guy had a Trump/Pence sign on his lawn on a corner lot. Multiple times, big trucks drove off the road, over the drainage ditch, across the lawn, and flattened the sign (you could see the tread marks the tires put on the lawn). Eventually, he had the sign suspended from a 40+ year old tree in his front yard (out of reach as an easy target), and nothing happened to the sign after that.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:44 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,111,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Ross Perot, another businessman who took a shot at the presidency, just died. But there was an interesting point made that he paid for his campaign himself, possibly as much as $100 million (figures differ).

Trump, instead, not only profited from his original campaign, but despite his unsubstanted claim that he's a multi-billionaire, prefers in his greedy way to solicit money from ordinary hard-working supporters. Trump's $100 million that was raised is all money that he siphoned away from other people.
If that is the way you feel about it then why do you support the party that always espouses the policies that tend to use “Other People’s Money”?

Old 07-11-2019, 10:27 AM

29,231 posts, read 22,482,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If that is the way you feel about it then why do you support the party that always espouses the policies that tend to use “Other People’s Money”?
Which party would that be? It seems to me that both are mighty eager to spend anyone else's money but their own.

Since winning the Presidency WILL involve several million dollars, win or lose, its only natural one person would be reluctant to spend his money on a campaign. Most folks simply don't have that kind of money to risk.

But Romney and Trump could have self-financed. Neither bothered, though Trump did claim he did.

Naturally enough. Even millionaires don't want to throw all their money away on a very risky venture. Nor should they; the voters should participate, and donating money is part of participation.

I would rather elect someone who speaks the truth, even when it's not pretty, than lies in most of what he says.

But that's just me. Obviously, you feel differently.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,111,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Which party would that be? It seems to me that both are might eager to spend anyone else's money but their own.

Bot Romney and Trump could have self-financed. Neither bothered, though Trump did claim he did. I would rather elect someone who honestly says things than lies in what he says.

But that's just me. Obviously, you feel differently. Belief doesn't change facts. A lie is a lie.
If you don't know which party spends OPM on a larger scale you must be in that party.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 AM

29,231 posts, read 22,482,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If you don't know which party spends OPM on a larger scale you must be in that party.
Hmm... is that the one who just doubled the deficit in less than 3 years?

If so, then that was the party that elected the guy who claimed he spent his own money, but didn't in 2016.

I'm not in that party for sure. Thanks for noticing.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

But Romney and Trump could have self-financed. Neither bothered, though Trump did claim he did. ...
100% wrong. Trump did self-finance his primary.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 15,775,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
OP will be pleased to hear that Perot donated to Trump’s campaign twice.
Interesting, if it's true, because I would have thought that Perot would be more likely to admire a self-made man, not someone dependent on his father's money.

But are you sure? I saw this that implies, if I'm reading it correctly, that it was his son who made two small donations.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pe...p-100-million/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections