Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's gonna win in 2020?
Trump 92 75.41%
Not Trump 30 24.59%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,002,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Swing voters and moderates aren't down with the message that the front runner dems are putting out there.
Swing voters don't matter. That's the old calculus. You win by mobilizing the people on your side of the political spectrum who usually don't vote. That's what Trump and Obama did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM

14,176 posts, read 5,726,340 times
And let us not forget that the last time someone other than a current or ex-governor (you know, those folks with actual chief executive cred) ousted an incumbent President of either party, it was the 19th Century.

1992 - incumbent ousted by....governor of Arkansas.

1980 - incumbent ousted by....governor of California.

1976 - incumbent ousted by....governor of Georgia.

1932 - incumbent ousted by....governor of New York.

1912 - incumbent ousted by....governor of New Jersey.

Old Mother DNC Hubbard has no governors in the cupboard. Just a menagerie of insane senators, reps, private citizens and a weather vane ex-Veep. And the incumbent just topped 50% approval in one poll, and his RCP average right now is 44.6, which given the now well established higher margin of error with any and all Trump polling other than ballots, puts him right where Obama was at the exact same week in his presidency. Give the Squad some more time to talk, maybe the impeachment thing gains some traction, and he'll win by a landslide.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 07-18-2019 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 01:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,142,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't care who you support. I want to know who you think is going to win.
I'm no fan of Trump, neither do I hate him. I have a gut feeling Trump will win again and I'm going to explain why. For one the economy is still going strong. The economy could be better if employers offered health insurance and retirement packages, but having something at the moment is better than having nothing. The Democrat Civil War is hurting the democrat party with Intersectional progressive and Sodcial Justice believing Congresswomen vs regular corporatist democrats. Than you have corpratist democrats who are trying to appeal to intersectional democrats like Corey Booker, Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris, While Joe Biden sticks to his gun. Such confusion will alienate voters to either not vote, or vote Republican. Last, if democrats want to win the election next year, the democrats will need to regain the working class blue collar vote which moved on to Trump.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Last, if democrats want to win the election next year, the democrats will need to regain the working class blue collar vote which moved on to Trump.
This is a major point, right here.

The Democrat stranglehold on private sector union loyalty is eroding fast, and the 100% all-in from every candidate on open borders, unchecked immigration and entitlement benefits to people who take jobs from our union brothers and sisters....well, that doesn't mesh well...and the local boss running the show down at the local 1212...they have a better lock on the attention span of the blue collar vote in the swing state.

My entire extended family on my wife's side lives in swing state, blue collar, Smalltown USA. No love for unchecked immigration and all the trimmings it comes with, and almost blanket abandonment of old loyalty to Democrats. What the party, The Squad and the candidate circus are selling plays horribly in states the Dems need to flip to get the Electoral College on their side. They keep trying to win the love of pundits on MSNBC, but are again forgetting those blue collar folks in the Rustbelt, the Southeast and all the places between the coasts.

Nothing Booker, Harris, Buttigeig et al are selling is doing particular well with those folks who they take for granted as being "their people," but who increasingly aren't.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:46 PM

9,919 posts, read 7,770,500 times
I am not sure to be honest. I say President Trump because there probably will be good number of people not voting, writing in names, voting for other Candidates, or a lot of Independent/Unaffiliated voter's voting for President Trump. Though that could change it all depends who the Democratic candidate ends up being.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 PM

19,779 posts, read 10,221,384 times
Trump was elected because he was the anti-Hillary and she still got more votes. The Democrat who runs won't need to be great, just acceptable. Right now there isn't one.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:51 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,774,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Depends on who is nominated. I think Buttigieg would blow out Trump, but it would be close with Kamala or Bernie. Asians, Hispanics, African Americans, and urban whites will come out big against Trump. I guess it all depends on the blue collar white vote in the Midwest and Florida.

Buttigieg is the only Democrat running who stands a chance against Trump. And that, only if he distances himself from "the squad". I don't see it happening however. The Democrat party is afraid of him because he's Gay.

IMO, it's being rigged for the old man to win. Joe Biden. Because at 78, he's so vain, he still thinks that an 80 year old Biden would be better than letting the next generation go at it.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:55 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,774,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm no fan of Trump, neither do I hate him. I have a gut feeling Trump will win again and I'm going to explain why. For one the economy is still going strong. The economy could be better if employers offered health insurance and retirement packages, but having something at the moment is better than having nothing. The Democrat Civil War is hurting the democrat party with Intersectional progressive and Sodcial Justice believing Congresswomen vs regular corporatist democrats. Than you have corpratist democrats who are trying to appeal to intersectional democrats like Corey Booker, Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris, While Joe Biden sticks to his gun. Such confusion will alienate voters to either not vote, or vote Republican. Last, if democrats want to win the election next year, the democrats will need to regain the working class blue collar vote which moved on to Trump.
The working class blue collar voter is lost to the modern Democrat party. They have gone or are going to Trump.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:58 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,861,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Buttigieg is the only Democrat running who stands a chance against Trump. And that, only if he distances himself from "the squad". I don't see it happening however. The Democrat party is afraid of him because he's Gay.
That will become a focal point in the campaign if he's nominated. I can even see Trump throwing the 'f' word out there. A Buttigeig nomination would be a major setback for LGBT rights and acceptance. Maybe in 8-12 years, our country will be ready for him.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Buttigeig loses the loyalty of the black evangelical, as well as the SJW vote among POCs, per his last townhall in South Bend.

He couldn't beat Trump. No way. The Dems lose turnout on that guy, and they know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections