Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 01:10 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times

Advertisements

Democrats are pursuing a partisan mobilization strategy, which is what Trump used to win in 2016. Every election is different, and using an old strategy puts you at a disadvantage. You need to innovate to win.

I also think tacking to the middle is a dumb strategy. That's very Clinton-W Bush and is passe.

I think people are worn out from partisanship and the mood is also against uniparty politics.

I see a winning strategy as being orthogonal to the partisan divide. One of Americans' biggest concerns now is government corruption. The Democrats should be running a clean reformer, more technocratic than anything else when it comes to policy. But such a government reform candidate would downplay policy and focus on personalities, not those of himself or herself, but those of the corrupt within government. All you need to do is expose the shenanigans in Washington, on both sides. The ads write themselves.

Warren won't cut it as she sees policy as the antidote to corruption, something even SNL mocked. Biden is one of those corrupt personalities himself. Bernie has the best shot but his millionaire status and genuflection to Clinton last time around took a lot of wind out of his sails. Bloomberg is a billionaire, part of the octopus so he seems not credible but then again that didn't hold back Trump. (Although personally I think Bloomberg is a very above-average billionaire in terms of civic commitment.) Buttigieg, I think he had potential but blew it by being too anti-Trump and going with the partisan flow too much.

The biggest impediment to such an anti-corruption campaign is that you would finger some powerful people on your own side. Gabbard's flailing when attacking Hillary shows this. Neither the party nor the primary voters are ready for an anti-corruption "come to Jesus" moment. Primary voters are out for partisan blood, and the party is the engine of corruption and would obviously fight such an effort.

The Democrats thus far lack a Trump figure who would perform a hostile takeover of the Democratic party. Maybe Bloomberg is actually up to the task, I'm not sure. But Democrats will be electorally hobbled as long as they sweep the corrupt actions of their leaders under the rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 01:22 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
/\

True the Democrats are across the board at this point but they'll zero in on one candidate that's how it always works. If the GOP wasn't obligated to support Trump they would be sporting as broad a spectrum of candidates, of course I would wager many wish he wasn't running.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:06 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

True the Democrats are across the board at this point but they'll zero in on one candidate that's how it always works. If the GOP wasn't obligated to support Trump they would be sporting as broad a spectrum of candidates, of course I would wager many wish he wasn't running.

I'm guessing many many more Democrats starting with Obama down, were wishing that Biden wasn't running.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:24 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
I am am unaffiliated voter. I feel Yang, Gabbard, and Buttigieg are probably the strongest with Independent, Third Party, Republicans, and unaffiliated voter's. Feel that these votes are key to winning the election for POTUS.

Think going too far left, right, or being an established politician won't win the POTUS Elections. I feel majority of the Democratic voter's, can be wrong, are either for the status quo or for a progressive movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections