Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dems, which of the following represents your position
I support open borders and unlimited immigration, legal or otherwise 3 15.00%
I do not support open borders 19 95.00%
I think the taxpayers should be required to fund health care for illegal aliens 4 20.00%
I do NOT think taxpayers should do so 16 80.00%
I support a president working to ensure fair trade and a level international playing field 13 65.00%
I do not care about fair trade 3 15.00%
I support taxes collected on imported goods, rather than goods produced by American workers 9 45.00%
I support high taxes on products made in America 3 15.00%
I want a president that puts America and Americans first 12 60.00%
I want a president that puts everyone else first 3 15.00%
Illegals increase the supply of unskilled labor, decreasing the wages of unskilled workers 8 40.00%
Illegals have no impact on wages for American citizens 4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:40 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol you say that every time you don't have an intelligent answer, don't you?
Democrats do seem to be very agitated these days.

After all, getting hugely worked up over a topic you don't have to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 01:16 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Which current Republican candidate for POTUS (yes, it's not just Trump running for the GOP nomination) is promising that?
No one. That is his point.
Just as no Dems are supporting the crazy things in the "poll"

Old 02-14-2020, 01:40 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
No one. That is his point.
Just as no Dems are supporting the crazy things in the "poll"
Did you miss the Dem debate in which they all raised their hands when asked if they would give free health care to illegal aliens?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-QP5TBTVhY

Last edited by InformedConsent; 02-14-2020 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-14-2020, 02:41 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
One poster here voted for ALL selections, which makes the poll a bit skewed...

Old 02-14-2020, 02:49 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If I were to start a similar thread asking questions for the republicans to answer, and asked those questions in the same vein as yours, they might read something like this:

Reps, which of the following represents your position:

- I support requiring Bible study in public schools
- I support having a whites-only immigration policy
- I support shooting people crossing the border illegally on sight
- I support giving no kind of government assistance whatsoever to anyone who was not born in the US
- I support bombing factories in China so as to force Americans and American companies to purchase only American goods
- I support imprisoning anyone accused of being even moderately sympathetic to communism
- I support imprisoning anyone who says anything bad about Donald Trump

There you go, those are the left-wing versions of your questions.
no
no
yes
yes
no
yes
no

What else you got?

Old 02-17-2020, 09:58 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
This is what's known as a push poll. I don't understand why any democrats would answer.
I have to say-I'm not surprised that they didn't. Even most Dems on this board won't admit which of the positions of today's candidates they support or oppose.

I regret that I couldn't correct the poll and add questions about reparations and universal basic income as well. May have to start a new one and fix that.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If I were to start a similar thread asking questions for the republicans to answer, and asked those questions in the same vein as yours, they might read something like this:

Reps, which of the following represents your position:

- I support requiring Bible study in public schools
- I support having a whites-only immigration policy
- I support shooting people crossing the border illegally on sight
- I support giving no kind of government assistance whatsoever to anyone who was not born in the US
- I support bombing factories in China so as to force Americans and American companies to purchase only American goods
- I support imprisoning anyone accused of being even moderately sympathetic to communism
- I support imprisoning anyone who says anything bad about Donald Trump

There you go, those are the left-wing versions of your questions.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:25 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
I voted. My votes are public, and largely reflect positions of the two organizations in which I am most active:
  1. Symbionese Liberation Army; and
  2. Decolonize This Place.
Previously I was active in Occupy Wall Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I regret that I couldn't correct the poll and add questions about reparations and universal basic income as well. May have to start a new one and fix that.
Reparations, definitely.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:11 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
I'm not voting in your poll, but a few thoughts on your themes.

Democrats claim to not be for open borders, but they seem to behave otherwise. It's not okay to demonize undocumented immigrants, and we must treat them with dignity, but there are some real issues with exploitation and displacing American workers that can happen in some situations. Reforming the immigration system would be much more effective.

While Trump is a proponent of fair trade, this isn't really an area with clear partisan divides right now, and a lot of these proposals are getting Democratic support.

We're not ready for UBI right now. Maybe in 20-25 years, depending on how many jobs that automation displaces. I'm good with having a conversation about reparations, because people were deprived of their freedom (and I'm white, and don't really get to make that judgment call), but it needs to be a well researched conversation, and there are a lot of topics that will need to be discussed about the issue.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:12 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did you miss the Dem debate in which they all raised their hands when asked if they would give free health care to illegal aliens?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-QP5TBTVhY
There is context to consider.

For the sake of Reps, let's say said illegal alien is the worst drug cartel, murderer, rapist, Satanic character one can imagine, and sneaks over to continue his pillaging. Yet, his murderous rampage is thwarted by some extremely contagious and horrific illness. We can either: 1) keep safe our community and put him in quarantine, costing the US tax payers money; or 2) decide that we won't spend a dime on such a horrific character, and instead leave him and his germs around the streets, and just...oh I don't know....pray (?) that our children/parents/friends/selves are not killed by the rapidly spreading virus

The Dems chose #1, the Reps chose #2

Very simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections