Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 01:39 PM

1,134 posts, read 404,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
See ya November 4th.
My reply to another thread is exactly how I feel, in response to yours. Just a copy:

It seemed to me Trump's win was an anomaly to a certain degree. There were enough voters who wanted someone other than a career politician, even if that person happened to be Donald Trump.

His slogan to "put America first" was very powerful with many people since the previous administration didn't seem to put much emphasis on that at all. And I'm not sure the DNC understands the power of that yet when it comes to elections. They don't appear to.

Trump's effectiveness in office is fiercely debated by both political parties. He certainly found out it was a lot harder to get things done than he imagined. And some issues are MUCH more complicated to solve than he realized, like Healthcare.

I might doubt his chances of being elected again, if the DNC had chosen a better opponent. I think a lot of people might look at sleepy Joe's age and apparent signs of dementia and think, "This guy might not even last through the first year". So his VP pick will be very important in my opinion. It could make or break his chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 04:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
My reply to another thread is exactly how I feel, in response to yours. Just a copy:

It seemed to me Trump's win was an anomaly to a certain degree. There were enough voters who wanted someone other than a career politician, even if that person happened to be Donald Trump.

His slogan to "put America first" was very powerful with many people since the previous administration didn't seem to put much emphasis on that at all. And I'm not sure the DNC understands the power of that yet when it comes to elections. They don't appear to.

Trump's effectiveness in office is fiercely debated by both political parties. He certainly found out it was a lot harder to get things done than he imagined. And some issues are MUCH more complicated to solve than he realized, like Healthcare.

I might doubt his chances of being elected again, if the DNC had chosen a better opponent. I think a lot of people might look at sleepy Joe's age and apparent signs of dementia and think, "This guy might not even last through the first year". So his VP pick will be very important in my opinion. It could make or break his chances.

I think you vastly underestimate America's tRump fatigue.

Even before his disastrous mismanagement of the pandemic and its accompanying economic sledgehammer, tRump was in danger of losing. The energy among the majority of the public who oppose him was high then.

It's only increased in recent months and will continue to do so as the economy falters.

Less than 6 months.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:14 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
The electoral college exists so slave states could have an outsized influence and not be overruled for their unethical practices by the free states. Now it exists so people living in the backward parts of the country can have an outsized influence over those who want to move the country forward. In other words, not much has changed since the 18th century.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
As I understand it, the electoral collage was designed by the founders to deal with the problem of polling each citizen for their vote in a timely manner.

That's no longer a problem.

It's time for one person, one vote, and do away with this electoral college because the problem of counting individual votes is over. We can now do it effectively.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:17 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Why should the rural areas be allowed to oppress the urban areas?
The urban areas shouldn't oppress the rural areas either.
The only fair way to do it is one person one vote.
Throw everybody's vote into one big national hat and see who wins.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballkick View Post
So California and New York will decide our elections from here on out
And Texas and Florida. Why not? We're all Americans. I used to live in California and now I live in Ohio. It's asinine my vote counts much more in one state than the other. Even more asinine that a vote in Wyoming counts 30-50 times that of a vote from California or Texas.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballkick View Post
Why shouldn't Montana have equal representation.

It does have over a million people
Montana has MORE than equal representation. You have 2 senate seats, which every state has, and you have a very small population.

You have the same exact voice in the senate as California, New York, Texas, and Florida, although you have a very tiny population of voters compared to those states. I really can't IMAGINE why you are complaining that you don't have equal representation. You have excessive reputation, compared to the rest of the people.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-24-2020 at 10:50 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 12:04 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Perhaps you also believe Delaware should have the same number of representatives in Congress as New York?
I'm fine with Delaware having the same number of US Senators as New York.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:14 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Pubs: "We won more acreage!"

The EC is headed for the slag heap of history.

Not tomorrow. But within the lifetimes of those under the age of 60.

Minority rule can't last in a democratic republic.

Not going to happen. You'd have to convince 38 states to let New York, California, Texas and Florida pick the president. Why should they?

Old 05-25-2020, 04:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Not going to happen.
Not today or tomorrow. But it's coming.

Quote:
You'd have to convince 38 states to let New York, California, Texas and Florida pick the president. Why should they?
Because the demographics of today in those states will not be the demographics in the future.

The day is coming when the EC will no longer allow the GOP's minority rule.

The future scares the hell out of Pubs, because they know that upcoming generations overwhelmingly reject them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCert8N-rpk

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections