Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 04:45 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Only thing is, despite ordering up the National Guard, Trump hasn't exactly been encouraging law and order with his fiery, divisive, rhetoric if that is what you are implying. Even White suburban voters who can suss out the message behind the rhetoric will not vote for him if they have already made up their minds beforehand. That and 1968 was a different era. LBJ, a Democrat and vilified incumbent for the Vietnam Conflict, was in office in '68, kids between age 18 and 20 weren't allowed to vote, and the nation likely wanted change anyways despite the riots. The suburbs have plenty of law and order, it's the cities you've got to worry about.
That's not true. He has been very public about what he expects states to do. Today he handed the nation's Governors their ass on a conference call, and now he is handing everyone their ass on National TV as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 04:47 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I'm telling of my conservative friends that 100,000 dead from the virus, 30% unemployment, massive rioting from conservative-backed police brutality, and getting impeached for cheating in the election have destroyed Trump's reelection chances. Biden will be a lesser of two evils choice, and he will win.
Conservative backed police brutality? Minnesota has a Democratic governor. Minneapolis has a Democratic mayor, and Democratic city council, and a Democratic police chief. Yet somehow, magically, this makes it conservative backed police brutality? Can you please explain the physics of how this works? And BTW, Trump wasn't impeached for "cheating in the election". Get your facts straight.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:55 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I don't like Trump but anyone who doesn't think this events are a massive boost for his sub 50% reelection chance are kidding themselves. I think unrest in 2016 also played a huge role in his victory. If it was mass peaceful protests that might hurt him but at this point it's mostly about looting and destroying, which is terrible for Democrats.
I was in a group text with some of my family members today. My liberal, Democrat niece recently bought a gun. She said she doesn't like Trump but will probably vote for him. My other, very liberal, progressive, woke, vegan anti-gun niece wants to buy a gun, and is asking for advice on what to buy from my conservative nephew. So, yes, I think these riots will have an impact on the election, and not in the Democrats favor.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:13 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
That's not true. He has been very public about what he expects states to do. Today he handed the nation's Governors their ass on a conference call, and now he is handing everyone their ass on National TV as we speak.
Pansy governors deserved it.

I want Congress to tie state covid bailouts to governors beating back rioters, by only aiding governors whose authorities adopt a zero tolerance policy.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:34 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Law & Order became the dominant topic, which drove the suburban, middle class vote.

No matter how much they spoke in soothing tones regarding the riots in cities like Chicago that year, they did not vote in the same interests.
Some important deaths occurred that year. I hope nothing like 1968 ever happens again.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The riots will have precisely 0 effect on the election in November. Can't believe anyone actually thinks they will.

The Rodney King riots in April 1992 didn't save George Bush that November. And the George Floyd riots in 2020 won't save Donald Trump this November.
As Trump open's his mouth he hurts his chances. The Nixon imitation just does not work for the most corrupt administration in my lifetime.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
And Obama did nothing but let them riot - sorry but people of all colors are horrified by what they see right now - Trump will get their votes whether you want to believe it or not.
Who did POTUS Obama let Riot , I'm I in the twilight zone ???

Old 06-01-2020, 07:14 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The riots will have precisely 0 effect on the election in November. Can't believe anyone actually thinks they will.

The Rodney King riots in April 1992 didn't save George Bush that November. And the George Floyd riots in 2020 won't save Donald Trump this November.
The Rodney King riots took place in one specific location, namely Los Angeles. Sure, we all saw it on TV. But, even if subconsciously, people from places not within an hour of L.A. could think to themselves that they were safe, since they were not embroiled in the mess.

But the George Floyd riots are happening everywhere, all across the country. Nearly every major city, and many minor ones, are experiencing looting and arson and violence. The only modern precedent I can think of for this situation is the riots of 1968. People all across the country feel that the danger is way too close for comfort. And I strongly suspect that their voting patterns will reflect this fear.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
Nothing ever helps Trump. Hes been prez for 3 and a half years and nothing helps boost his poll numbers. Give it up....2020 wont be 1968. You do realize there were years before 1968 that had even bigger riots and it had no effect on the election?

Old 06-01-2020, 09:09 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
it does feel like the 60s again though. Civil rights, war, and the space program. People's republic of china as the new soviet union
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections