Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:09 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Polls are designed to shape public opinion, not measure it. That was proven the day President Trump was elected to office when all the polls said it was Clinton's to loose. I could be wrong but I think the polls gave Clinton a 95% chance of winning when the polls opened on the East coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 09:11 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Trump's Bible Photo-Op caused immediate drop in polls..

The guy is such a phony blowhard. I never held a bible the way he holds it. He looked like a newsboy hawking papers. People of faith should be insulted by the obvious patronizing.

But what he did to those people in Lafayette Park was disgusting. He sees them as an enemy, not as his own people with grievances. Even Richard Nixon could have done better (he actually did) with a crowd of protesters. This man we have for the present never understood the job, he never understood his people.

I didnt think it was possible, but yea Trump makes such presidents as Nixon, Carter, and W look like stellar presidents. Course I think those three actually gave a damn about the country despite personal weaknesses. For Trump its all about personal fame and wealth. He is bestest best buddies with dictators and wannabe dictators, scorns traditional democracy allies. He is pure demagogue.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:21 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Polls are designed to shape public opinion, not measure it. That was proven the day President Trump was elected to office when all the polls said it was Clinton's to loose. I could be wrong but I think the polls gave Clinton a 95% chance of winning when the polls opened on the East coast.
You have no understanding of polling.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:29 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I more or less read it the same way.

I was working out on an elliptical at the house at the time while watching the news, and was immediately shocked that the president of the United States (given the attempted breach of the WH fence and the burning of a historically significant DC church the night before) - was leaving the WH grounds on foot. I was immediately concerned for his safety. Posters on here will dismiss that concern but yes...........if Obama had done the same thing given the same set of circumstances I would have been concerned for his safety as well.

I saw the leaving of the WH grounds, the walk, the holding up of the Bible outside the church all as symbolic acts of defiance against anarchy. Some on here enjoy talking about "Bunker Boy" (and have been trying their damndest to get the name to stick) but if those protesters had breached the fence and entered the grounds of the WH (or worse the WH itself) I have no doubt that there would have been considerable bloodshed. Most of it would have been blood shed by protesters, but the safety of the president was compromised during that period of attempted insurrection and he needed to be secured.

The next day he walked and when he held up the Bible in front of the partially burned out church I read is as a symbolic display that the presidency and the church are still standing.

This all coming from:

* a Trump supporter
* an atheist
* a white, female, legal immigrant (now American citizen)

If this had happened during Obama's watch, the attempted breach of the WH fence by a group of rioters would have been news that resonated around the nation and around the world. A president of the United States that the Secret Service felt compelled to secure for his own safety in the Peoples' House. Now??? Just another day in Trump World.
Maybe you're retired so you experience the world through TV. I'm not sure. Life isn't a movie.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:06 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I more or less read it the same way.

I was working out on an elliptical at the house at the time while watching the news, and was immediately shocked that the president of the United States (given the attempted breach of the WH fence and the burning of a historically significant DC church the night before) - was leaving the WH grounds on foot. I was immediately concerned for his safety. Posters on here will dismiss that concern but yes...........if Obama had done the same thing given the same set of circumstances I would have been concerned for his safety as well.

I saw the leaving of the WH grounds, the walk, the holding up of the Bible outside the church all as symbolic acts of defiance against anarchy. Some on here enjoy talking about "Bunker Boy" (and have been trying their damndest to get the name to stick) but if those protesters had breached the fence and entered the grounds of the WH (or worse the WH itself) I have no doubt that there would have been considerable bloodshed. Most of it would have been blood shed by protesters, but the safety of the president was compromised during that period of attempted insurrection and he needed to be secured.

The next day he walked and when he held up the Bible in front of the partially burned out church I read is as a symbolic display that the presidency and the church are still standing.

This all coming from:

* a Trump supporter
* an atheist
* a white, female, legal immigrant (now American citizen)

If this had happened during Obama's watch, the attempted breach of the WH fence by a group of rioters would have been news that resonated around the nation and around the world. A president of the United States that the Secret Service felt compelled to secure for his own safety in the Peoples' House. Now??? Just another day in Trump World.
It was the story that was never told. I always try to fact check the news because all the outlets are mainly interested in spinning their narratives. From what I could tell, those horrifying events actually happened. No one cared because they have so throughly de-humanized this president and trashed the entire office of the presidency in the process, that this was no big deal to anyone. Whether you like the president or not, this was a big deal.

Last edited by kmom2; 06-18-2020 at 06:19 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Maybe you're retired so you experience the world through TV. I'm not sure. Life isn't a movie.
No I'm not retired. No I don't experience the world through TV. Yes you're not sure. No life isn't a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections