Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

The American Spectator

Quote:
The problem with Obama isn't that he's African American. It's that he's a pure product of academia -- Columbia, Harvard Law School, Hyde Park. He's never been outside that circle, never bowled (imagine that!), and didn't even realize he had insulted tens of millions of small-town Americans with his guns-and-religion remarks. You have to feel sorry for this guy. He didn't mean anything nasty. He was just repeating the scuttlebutt he's heard ever since he entered college -- small-town Americans don't know their own minds, religion is a crutch, guns a sign of underlying pathology. (My favorite in this genre has always been Katie Couric's remark on the morning of John Kerry's defeat, when she turned to her co-host and said, "Who are these voters?" She still doesn't know -- and neither does Obama.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
The problem with Obama isn't that he's African American. It's that he's a pure product of academia -- Columbia, Harvard Law School, Hyde Park. He's never been outside that circle,
That statment alone demonstrates how uninformed the writer of this crap is.

Yes stupid people who told what to think from entertainers on AM radio will believe that Obama is an out of touch elitest, but there are the many other people, who are informed enough to know reality.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
That statment alone demonstrates how uninformed the writer of this crap is.
Can you demonstrate how he has been "outside" his circle of elitism - Columbia, Harvard Law School, Hyde Park?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Wow! That's a very good point. It would help explain why I always feel like Obama is being completely sincere. Why I always like him even though I'd never vote for him. He is wrong, but he seems sincerely wrong, like he really doesn't know. That makes perfect sense and explains a lot of them (including Katie Couric). Thanks for posting that Sanrene. It is kind of sad isn't it?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,636 times
Maybe that's what's wrong with so many of his supporters as well. They are so high on their horses that they don't really see what is going on anywhere but their own worlds. Birds of a feather and all.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
No Democratic presidential candidate since Lyndon Johnson has won the white vote.
Amazing. I didn't realize this. Speaks volumes.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Maybe that's what's wrong with so many of his supporters as well. They are so high on their horses that they don't really see what is going on anywhere but their own worlds. Birds of a feather and all.
True, but nothing a little time and experience wont cure.

I recall how much I knew and how much smarter I was than all those older, more stupid, entrenched people I grew up knowing. I could not understand how they could not see the truth I could so easily see. It was amazing what a little university could do for a person and it saddened me to know that they had never had that chance to open their eyes to the real world.

Now, a few decades later, I am amazed at how much they knew and understood and how far down the path of stupidity I had walked in those few years of my life. I see myself in younger people today, my children, people on planes enjoying their first years of their new careers, kids in their early college years. I laugh to myself to hear some of the self-righteous and sometimes indignant comments of many of these about how the average American is just not educated enough to understand reality and think how I used the think the same way and how I came to recognize the wisdom age brings and has brought to many thousands of unschooled.

The news stories I have heard regarding Obama's following leads me to understand that the vast majority of his followers are young, educated, professionals that have not yet had the opportunity to experience the wisdom of age and experience. I anticipate the day they come to a shocking realization as I did when I finally realized how ungreat Jimmy Carter actually was. He had such potential as an agent of change to the way our political machine moved and worked. He was going to introduce compassion and integrity and honesty. All we really got were hostages, inflation, gas shortages, and more than a modicum of disrespect from the rest of the world. Strangely enough, nothing in the political arena changed much, if any.

Ah well, we all live and learn. They will too.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that Sanrene. It is kind of sad isn't it?
You're welcome!

No, I don't find it sad. They have sown these seeds for many years, now they are reaping it.

The dems/libs have always been the party of divisiveness - racially, economically, socially. Their chickens are coming home to roost, so the saying goes.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,003 times
Quote:
Can you demonstrate how he has been "outside" his circle of elitism - Columbia, Harvard Law School, Hyde Park?
Oh i dunno know, anthropologist mother, doting white grandparents, childhood in Indonesia, a man of the world is needed coz America still thinks like a parent but acts like a spoilt child

thats AMERIKKA to you

Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to or been a resident of Chicago Illinois? You know not everybody that lives in Hyde Park is black or Jewish and affiliated with the U of Chicago don't you? You do know that Catholics live there, Christians live there, cops live there, teachers live there- even people that "work" for a living like telephone men and Streets and San employees live there. While Hyde Park has a higher percentage of educated - or what you call "elite" people that the city as a whole, they are not more than about 1/5th of the people that reside there I would guess.
And secondly this is really racism disguised as something else. You know racist white people in this country for years have said "ya know these here Negros oughtta jest pull em selves up by da bootstraps and git a edjacation ya know". And so here you have a man that came from a humble background, studied hard and got into the best schools- like all the good Americans say he should- and now they want to hold that against him. You see if you are black you cannot win no matter what you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections