Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 01:21 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I totally agree with you.

Any casual bystander who does not follow politics could look at the Biden campaign and support vs the Trump campaign and support, and see that Biden has low energy enthusiasm and support.

Biden and his campaign are running on name recognition and the "anything but Trump" voters.

Trump has a lot of silent majority folks who will vote him in.

It's not popular to talk around the water cooler, or chat on social media with friends that Trump is who you'll vote for, but in the voting booth, the secret Trump voter is what wins the election.
Trump's base is highly motivated to vote for him. The problem you continue to ignore is that there far more people in the US who are not a part of Trump's base. He needed moderates and even some Democratic voters to cross over and give him a shot. There is no evidence he has been able to hold onto those people, especially now that he has an opponent far more palatable than Clinton was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 01:43 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Trump's base is highly motivated to vote for him. The problem you continue to ignore is that there far more people in the US who are not a part of Trump's base. He needed moderates and even some Democratic voters to cross over and give him a shot. There is no evidence he has been able to hold onto those people, especially now that he has an opponent far more palatable than Clinton was.
I recall reading a survey last week where 92% of Trump voters would vote for him again, and some of the remaining 8% were undecided.

Trump should improve with blacks, hispanics, & Bernie Bros, and some inner city urbanites who are tired of the rioting and looting, and are ready to kick the Dems to the curb. These votes should more than offset any he might lose.

I disagree that Dems see Biden more palatable than Clinton. Clinton had a 48% enthusiasm rating just prior to the election, and Joe's was 28% in April, and 40% in June 2020.

Soon, every American will know that:

-Joe offshored millions of American manufacturing jobs to China, & helped decimate our manufacturing sector.

-Joe was part of the hit job against General Flynn, then lied about even knowing about it.

-Joe is named in 2 federal investigations...Russia-gate, and the Ukrainian bribe.

-Joe was against stopping incoming flights from China during the early days of the covid-19 outbreak.

I could list many many more, but just know that most American voters do not pay attn to politics until about 1 week prior to the election. They are not going to like what they hear about Joe Biden when they start tuning in. When Joe is forced to debate and speak (not read) in the days leading up to the election, he will sink like a rock.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
There is more evidence that even Republicans have soured on him with Covid and the protest busting. In the latest job approval he is at the 57% approval and at 35% would vote Trump in the election. An incumbent polling that well this close to their re-election typically loses. I don't see this getting better for Trump with threatening ACA at the Supreme Court, the delayed first wave and stalling of bills (both police reform and economic relief from Covid.)

Old 06-27-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I recall reading a survey last week where 92% of Trump voters would vote for him again, and some of the remaining 8% were undecided.

Trump should improve with blacks, hispanics, & Bernie Bros, and some inner city urbanites who are tired of the rioting and looting, and are ready to kick the Dems to the curb. These votes should more than offset any he might lose.

I disagree that Dems see Biden more palatable than Clinton. Clinton had a 48% enthusiasm rating just prior to the election, and Joe's was 28% in April, and 40% in June 2020.

Soon, every American will know that:

-Joe offshored millions of American manufacturing jobs to China, & helped decimate our manufacturing sector.

-Joe was part of the hit job against General Flynn, then lied about even knowing about it.

-Joe is named in 2 federal investigations...Russia-gate, and the Ukrainian bribe.

-Joe was against stopping incoming flights from China during the early days of the covid-19 outbreak.

I could list many many more, but just know that most American voters do not pay attn to politics until about 1 week prior to the election. They are not going to like what they hear about Joe Biden when they start tuning in. When Joe is forced to debate and speak (not read) in the days leading up to the election, he will sink like a rock.
I've seen plenty of surveys that had lower numbers than 92%. But even if the one you saw is correct, you're not considering the math of that. 8% is more than 5 million votes (based on the 62.985 million votes Trump got in 2016). Even if Trump lost only half of those votes, it could change the entire outcome, especially if there are enough of those votes in swing states. Remember that Trump won the EC based on less than a combined 100K votes in 3 states, far, far less than even 50% of those supposed undecideds.

You're also forgetting that Biden isn't nearly as hated as Clinton was, which suppressed Democratic voting (and even then, she still won the popular). A lack of enthusiasm is not the same as active dislike, so you make far too much of the enthusiasm angle. A voter doesn't have to be particularly enthusiastic about a candidate if their primary goal is simply to get rid of the opponent. There is a reason the whole "vote blue no matter who" thing even came about. It mattered less who won the Democratic nomination this election versus ensuring that Trump loses. And whether you believe it or not, a LOT of people are extremely enthusiastic to vote Trump out. And frankly, there are just more of us than you. It will depend on turnout.

No one believes those debunked conspiracy theories except Trump supporters, which means there is no net gain for Trump.

Again, I would never say Trump can't win again, just as I was one of the few who thought Clinton could very well lose. You seem as confident in an easy Trump win as some Clinton supporters were in 2016. Overconfidence needs to be supported in some way. With the polling, ongoing national crises, lack of leadership, etc, that confidence seems a little misplaced.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
I've seen plenty of surveys that had lower numbers than 92%. But even if the one you saw is correct, you're not considering the math of that. 8% is more than 5 million votes (based on the 62.985 million votes Trump got in 2016). Even if Trump lost only half of those votes, it could change the entire outcome, especially if there are enough of those votes in swing states. Remember that Trump won the EC based on less than a combined 100K votes in 3 states, far, far less than even 50% of those supposed undecideds.

You're also forgetting that Biden isn't nearly as hated as Clinton was, which suppressed Democratic voting (and even then, she still won the popular). A lack of enthusiasm is not the same as active dislike, so you make far too much of the enthusiasm angle. A voter doesn't have to be particularly enthusiastic about a candidate if their primary goal is simply to get rid of the opponent. There is a reason the whole "vote blue no matter who" thing even came about. It mattered less who won the Democratic nomination this election versus ensuring that Trump loses. And whether you believe it or not, a LOT of people are extremely enthusiastic to vote Trump out. And frankly, there are just more of us than you. It will depend on turnout.

No one believes those debunked conspiracy theories except Trump supporters, which means there is no net gain for Trump.

Again, I would never say Trump can't win again, just as I was one of the few who thought Clinton could very well lose. You seem as confident in an easy Trump win as some Clinton supporters were in 2016. Overconfidence needs to be supported in some way. With the polling, ongoing national crises, lack of leadership, etc, that confidence seems a little misplaced.
It is a LOT of misplaced confidence. We know exactly what Donald J. Trump is now. There is no mystique about him being some outsider now. His drain the swamp mantra is a bunk. He has 122k dead currently and likely will be 180k dead by Election Day from a virus he blames on China but didn't do crap or if he did anything he didn't do anything nearly enough. From the virus, it exposed the economy as a house of cards not as strong as people thought.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:05 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatichouse View Post
I watched about 5 minutes of Trump speaking.

The man is entertaining...more so than ever.

And now he even jokes around about the stuff his haters try to insult him with. He even joked about getting a tan.

Trump will now work his ability to entertain and win a 2nd election.

A lot of people HIGHLY underestimated this man’s intelligence.
I wouldn't say "intelligence," in the classic sense, but effectiveness.

Obama, basically, said the same thing, in 2016. And warned Hillary. She didn't listen.

Folk don't realize, that chaos, attack and making enemies publicly angry and emotional play into Trump's strengths. This is going to be a case, like last election, of who shows up to the booth, and where they show up! Folk in the streets, now, marching, all diverse. Millions of folk. But the March on November 3 (or Mail-In) is what's gonna count!

Old 06-27-2020, 05:07 PM

653 posts, read 221,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatichouse View Post
I watched about 5 minutes of Trump speaking.

The man is entertaining...more so than ever.

And now he even jokes around about the stuff his haters try to insult him with. He even joked about getting a tan.

Trump will now work his ability to entertain and win a 2nd election.

A lot of people HIGHLY underestimated this man’s intelligence.
I doubt this. Biden is going to hide in his basement until Election Day so he minimizes the chances of being exposed for what is is now. Trump alienates independents with the things he often says. The media is always in bed with the left. The virus is not going away so the economy will not be able to recover enough by election time. I think there is almost no chance Trump wins.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:10 PM

3,336 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
It's a lot harder to convince a dumb person what good policy is than it is for a dumb person to convince a smart person to vote for dumb policy.

And yet woke-ism persists, and does so particularly among comparatively well-educated, well-to-do liberals...

Old 06-27-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
And yet woke-ism persists, and does so particularly among comparatively well-educated, well-to-do liberals...
I have no idea what "woke-ism" even is. It seems to just be one more attempt at a conservative insult, much like "SJW", against empathetic policy and trying to treat people with basic human dignity.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:07 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
The class clown is entertaining. And wouldn't it be, like so cool, to make the nerds freak out by putting him in charge? Epic troll, man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections