Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 08:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,574 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

I don't like either candidate, just as I didn't in 2016. Back then I didn't like the small party candidates, either, so I left president blank. This year I actually find the Libertarian Jo Jorgensen to be a decent choice so will vote for her. In the end, one has to be able to sleep at night, and I couldn't if I voted for Biden or Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 09:08 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't like either candidate, just as I didn't in 2016. Back then I didn't like the small party candidates, either, so I left president blank. This year I actually find the Libertarian Jo Jorgensen to be a decent choice so will vote for her. In the end, one has to be able to sleep at night, and I couldn't if I voted for Biden or Trump.
Right, as long as you personally get plenty of rest, the consequences of a national election in which hundreds of thousands of people are dead, the economy is trash, civil unrest is rising and our democracy is under threat mean little.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
If you're alive in 30 years and have grandchildren who would you want to tell them you voted for?

Old 10-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If you're alive in 30 years and have grandchildren who would you want to tell them you voted for?
For 3rd Party voters, it's apparently: "I didn't really care about taking a stand either way, but I did get 8 hours of sleep, so that's something."

Old 10-01-2020, 10:51 AM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You would tell them the truth unless you have mental issues.

I don't think the OP has mental issues.

I held my nose when I voted for Ronald Reagan, but he turned out to be a great president.

I really dislike Donald Trump and long thought I would leave president blank in 2016, but I found it easier to vote for him, given the alternative, than I did Reagan. It was no trouble at all. You may get clarity as you get closer to November.

On the other hand, I could never bring myself to vote for Tom Delay when he was my representative. I voted for the Green Party one time when they were the only ones opposing him. I may have voted for a Libertarian another time.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:52 AM

13,653 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
For 3rd Party voters, it's apparently: "I didn't really care about taking a stand either way, but I did get 8 hours of sleep, so that's something."
Acceding to the mandates of one's own conscience, has some merit to - would you agree? To tell one's grandchildren, "dear, I voted for the lesser of two evils, and that candidate won. The [expletive] through which I and your parents lived through, was due to the winner of that election. And I was among the people who put him there"... seems a bit, well, suboptimal.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Acceding to the mandates of one's own conscience, has some merit to - would you agree? To tell one's grandchildren, "dear, I voted for the lesser of two evils, and that candidate won. The [expletive] through which I and your parents lived through, was due to the winner of that election. And I was among the people who put him there"... seems a bit, well, suboptimal.
Your premise suggests that voting for the lesser of two evils (and I fail to see how Biden is in any way an "evil" outside of this hypothetical) couldn't, in fact, be consistent with following one's own conscience. Biden is not my preferred candidate, and he doesn't support everything I do. But there are far greater considerations than only what I personally support and believe. And I would offer that *only* following one's own personal principles, even as many others are suffering from their lack of consideration for those others, and solely *because* of those principles, kind of undermines the entire point of having them. If someone refuses to ever compromise for the clear greater good, then maybe those people are not as moral and principled as they like to believe.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:17 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
Quote:
Liberals always love to look down their noses at people who don't vote they way they think they should.

Common trait.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
Quote:
Your premise suggests that voting for the lesser of two evils (and I fail to see how Biden is in any way an "evil" outside of this hypothetical) couldn't, in fact, be consistent with following one's own conscience. Biden is not my preferred candidate, and he doesn't support everything I do. But there are far greater considerations than only what I personally support and believe. And I would offer that *only* following one's own personal principles, even as many others are suffering from their lack of consideration for those others, and solely *because* of those principles, kind of undermines the entire point of having them. If someone refuses to ever compromise for the clear greater good, then maybe those people are not as moral and principled as they like to believe.
Translation:

"If you don't vote democrat, you're immoral."

HAHA!

Old 10-01-2020, 12:31 PM

13,653 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Your premise suggests that voting for the lesser of two evils (and I fail to see how Biden is in any way an "evil" outside of this hypothetical) couldn't, in fact, be consistent with following one's own conscience. ...

If someone refuses to ever compromise for the clear greater good, then maybe those people are not as moral and principled as they like to believe.
It could be consistent. But what if it's not? An argument could be made, that one candidate is so rebarbative and noxious, that his "leadership" can't be stomached... while the other candidate represents a movement and a set of ideas, that one regards as being fundamentally and devastatingly wrong. I leave without elaboration, which is which. To me that's a choice between two evils.

The point isn't about being an intransigent adherent to a strict creed, so that anyone who veers from that creed by any small amount, is automatically dismissed. Rather, the point is the quandary in which one finds oneself, when neither of the principal choices is conscionable. Then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections