Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 AM

7,760 posts, read 5,585,000 times

Advertisements

Question in the title. Jorgensen is polling at about 1/3 the rate Johnson was at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 11:00 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,183,094 times
Maybe lack of any name recognition, maybe the fact that the pandemic has restricted much campaigning... or maybe people are just solidified around the two main candidates and aren't as willing to waste votes on 3rd party candidates this year.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:08 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,725,441 times
Johnson did well for the same reason I think Bernie Sanders did so well in the 2016 Democratic Primary: the protest vote.

I don't think 43% of America agreed with Sanders' stances. I think it was the signal that all was not well in Democrat-land as far as Clinton goes.

When the general election came around, there were likely many Americans that generally vote Democrat (or Republican) that found their major party candidate too big of a pill to swallow, so they made a protest vote.

Just my 2¢.

I voted for Sanders in 2016 in part as a protest vote against Hillary. I think that is part of the reason why Sanders didn't do so well in the primary ultimately. He doesn't actually command 43% of the nation's liberal vote. If he did, he likely wins in 2020.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:32 PM

8,535 posts, read 8,965,850 times
Johnson was a 2 term Governor. Jorgensen never held any public office and never got more than fringe voting support. Pretty good business and academic career but almost no one knows that or her at all. Or cares about her.

Either you are a libertarian who votes Libertarian and sees that as meaningful act or you don't. Perhaps more will in future but the diversity of Libertarians turns off various factions who do not agree with the others on priorities and rhetorical style / imaging.

Gold bugs / anti- Federal Reserve, small business entrepreneurs, marijuana smokers, "sovereign citizens", conservatives who call themselves libertarians, super rich who want no economic rules, anti-military and usually police, LDS, never Trumpers, never 'again' Trumpers, Tea Partiers who seek separate identity but end up voting for Trump, smaller is better advocates, alternative sexual orientations / lifestyle advocates, anti-international anythings, anti-tax / spending / deficits / swampers, everyone and everything else are wrong / sucks / are stupid stans, I can't vote D or R because of x, y, z, anti-maskers, anti-safety net / welfare, anti-gun regulation, charter schoolers / anti-schoolers, anti-survellience, anti-religion, anti-immigrant, anti-morality or at least anti-morality as law, euthanasia advocates, anti-death penalty, anti-climate change response policies, property rights advocates & absolutists, etc.

For her specific policy answers, see https://www.isidewith.com/candidates...ensen/policies

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-16-2020 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-16-2020, 12:46 PM

5,311 posts, read 6,269,710 times
Johnson (and Weld his VP) were both higher profile. They also had the benefit of being in regions of the country that lean more libertarian. New England has its far share of libertarians and the Rs typically have a more libertarian than social conservative bent. This is most noticeable in NH. Johnson was Governor in New Mexico. Again SW Rs are much more libertarian and also more racially/religiously diverse than in other parts of the country. Trump has never truly played well with that crowd. There is also a sizeable LDS population in the west were not going to vote D but would not support Trump, so he was a safe place to land. If you look at current polling in Arizona I think Biden has inherited Johnson's supporters from 2016.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:03 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,886,737 times
I actually saw a Jorgensen sign yesterday and to be honest I wasn’t even sure about who it was.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:21 PM
bu2

24,247 posts, read 15,084,412 times
Also, in addition to the comments above, Republicans have fallen in with Trump. They see what the Democrat alternative really is.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,183,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Also, in addition to the comments above, Republicans have fallen in with Trump. They see what the Democrat alternative really is.
Competent leadership?

Old 10-16-2020, 02:04 PM

1,049 posts, read 971,749 times
I had no clue who Jo Jorgensen was until about a month ago. When I looked up her platform it didn't look realistic to me.

Gary Johnson and Bill Weld were well known to me even before the 2016 election. Both were once prominent Republican governors. Had they been the Republican ticket I would have voted for them.

I believe the name recognition of them, and their credibility as former governors, led to them being able to get a decent percentage of the popular vote for a third party compared to Jo Jorgensen who is a total unknown.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:09 PM

11,968 posts, read 25,591,706 times
Biden is less personally disliked than Hillary and Trump is now a known factor, people love or hate him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections