Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 12:48 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times

Advertisements

If you early voted in person, tell us your experience this year compared to other presidential years.

Tell us your County and State (optional).

Would you describe your voting location as rural, suburban, or city between 50,000 - 100,000 people, city over 100,000 people?

Do you normally vote early in person during presidential election years?

Tell us how long it took you to vote, that is, did you wait on long lines? How did it compare to previous years when you early voted as in was it more or less crowded or about the same compared to other presidential election years?

About how many voting machines were in the location where you voted?

Were there any problems of any kind where you voted? What were they? (Examples: voting machines that didn't work or work properly, polling places that didn't open on time, poll workers that didn't know what they were doing, poll workers said you weren't registered to vote, harassment of any sort or trouble from other people outside the voting building, etc.)

Was anyone there asking you for whom you voted (as in exit polling)? If yes, did you answer them?

Did you change your mind about voting early that day for any reason at all? If yes, will you vote early on another day, vote by mail, vote on Election Day, not vote at all?

Besides the President and local offices, were you voting for a US Senator or US Representative, too?

Say anything you want to about your early voting experience not covered by these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 01:01 PM

1,049 posts, read 963,906 times
- Yes, voted early in-person
- South Florida
- Voting location is suburban, city > 100K people
- I always vote early in presidential elections
- Took about 30 minutes, there were two lines that grew considerably after I arrived in the late afternoon
- I sought this voting location out because I went to another one that was super crowded, I'm noticing the polling places as being way more crowded than in prior years.
- 3 scanning machines, maybe 20 or so booths
- No issues encountered
- No exit polling
- Did not change mind
- One congressman was on the ballot
- Overall, I was surprised I got it done in 30 minutes, thought I would be there for over an hour

Old 10-20-2020, 01:12 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times
If you early voted in person, tell us your experience this year compared to other presidential years.

Tell us your County and State (optional).
Anderson County, Tennessee

Would you describe your voting location as rural, suburban, or city between 50,000 - 100,000 people, city over 100,000 people? Suburban, under 30,000 people.

Do you normally vote early in person during presidential election years? I always vote early in person. I have leg issues and can't stand long.

Tell us how long it took you to vote, that is, did you wait on long lines? How did it compare to previous years when you early voted as in was it more or less crowded or about the same compared to other presidential election years? It was the most people I have ever seen voting early in person. The line snaked out of the building and around the parking lot and I deliberately arrived before the doors were open and so apparently did a lot of other people. This was Week 2 of Early Voting. It took over an hour for me to sit at a machine.

About how many voting machines were in the location where you voted? There were 6. I know this because my machine was Number 6 and it was the last in the line of voting machines. I could sit down to vote.

Were there any problems of any kind where you voted? What were they? (Examples: voting machines that didn't work or work properly, polling places that didn't open on time, poll workers that didn't know what they were doing, poll workers said you weren't registered to vote, harassment of any sort or trouble from other people outside the voting building, etc.) Except for the excruciating long line, there were no problems.

Was anyone there asking you for whom you voted (as in exit polling)? If yes, did you answer them? No one asked me about my vote.

Did you change your mind about voting early that day for any reason at all? If yes, will you vote early on another day, vote by mail, vote on Election Day, not vote at all?
Actually, this was the second attempt. When I saw the long line on Week 1 on the third day of early voting (at around 2:00P), I decided to go home and come back the following week (today) when the polling place opened.

Besides the President and local offices, were you voting for a US Senator or US Representative, too? Yes, both.

Say anything you want to about your early voting experience not covered by these questions. It just shocked the heck out of me to see so many people early voting in person. Has never happened to me before and I always early vote even in the primaries. I don't know what it means. Any ideas? My County has voted Republican in the last 5 presidential elections, last time by a huge amount - 64% to 30%.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:13 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,584,249 times
I am fortunate to live in the Denver, CO with arguably the best voting system in the nation, so it was the exact same as voting any other year.

-Since I am a registered voter, my ballot was mailed to me as they are to all registered voters in Colorado
-I received an email from Colorado BallotTrace saying that my ballot was in the mail and due to be delivered
-I spent hours pouring over all the issues at my kitchen table and filled the ballot out
-I signed my ballot and put it in the security envelope
-I drove to the neighborhood police station and dropped my ballot off in the secure ballot box - zero wait time
-I received another email from Colorado BallotTrace saying that the Secretary of State’s office had received my ballot and it was being counted

I do not understand why this is a remotely controversial system. We implemented it under a Republican Secretary of State and it has worked perfectly for a decade.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:14 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,737,815 times
While I did not vote in person, I did drop off my household's ballots (received in the mail at our request) at the polling place. I walked past the line to put them in the box. It was set up like a mailbox; you dropped the ballots in but nobody could reach in to take any out... plus there was someone standing there and there were two police officers about 10 feet away at the main entrance, so I feel very confident that those votes are secure.

I live in a city of 70,000, and there are two early-voting places open. I went to the one that probably had fewer people because it's located in a quieter/less congested part of the city plus it's new this year. Before this, there was only one place to vote early in the city, so I'm not even sure if everyone knows that this newer one exists... I only found out because someone posted it on the NextDoor app. I'm in SW Florida. I usually vote early; this is the first time not actually standing in line to vote.

When I've gone in the past (to the only one in the city), I've generally waited behind three or four people. When I went yesterday, there were maybe 40 or 50 cars in the parking lot (not sure how many were those of poll workers) and about 12 or 15 people in line waiting for an empty booth. I'm not sure how many booths there were inside; I didn't go all the way in. As I was leaving, there was a steady stream of cars pulling in. It was definitely much busier than usual (at least much busier than the other one has been when it was the only one in the city)... this was at 1:30 in the afternoon on a Monday.

There was no exit polling when I went, and yes, there were Congress reps and local officials on our ballot. We don't vote for the Senate this year in Florida.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:26 PM

16,032 posts, read 7,070,464 times
Massachusetts. I am also a poll worker. Pop 30,000

All precincts in my Town early voted in one place where I worked. 450 people came through on the first day.
Longest wait was 30 minutes. about 12 booths. Easy peasy.
We normally vote in person.

My spouse and I voted with mail-in ballot and deposited it in the ballot box in town. I tracked my ballot - it was accepted and counted the same day.
I voted Democratic down the ballot. President, one US Senator, one state senator and congress.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:49 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I am fortunate to live in the Denver, CO with arguably the best voting system in the nation, so it was the exact same as voting any other year.

-Since I am a registered voter, my ballot was mailed to me as they are to all registered voters in Colorado
-I received an email from Colorado BallotTrace saying that my ballot was in the mail and due to be delivered
-I spent hours pouring over all the issues at my kitchen table and filled the ballot out
-I drove to the neighborhood police station and dropped my ballot off in the secure ballot box - zero wait time
-I received another email from Colorado BallotTrace saying that the Secretary of State’s office had received my ballot and it was being counted

I do not understand why this is a remotely controversial system. We implemented it under a Republican Secretary of State and it has worked perfectly for a decade.
It's controversial because it takes away the power to control the vote of poor and minorities by restricting access to voting locations.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:50 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,737,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
It's controversial because it takes away the power to control the vote of poor and minorities by restricting access to voting locations.
Exactly. Imagine if everyone had a real opportunity to vote. The republicans would not be happy.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:52 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Since I am a registered voter, my ballot was mailed to me as they are to all registered voters in Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My spouse and I voted with mail-in ballot and deposited it in the ballot box in town. I tracked my ballot - it was accepted and counted the same day.
Sweet! I'm jealous. No ballot tracking here in Washington State.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,584,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Sweet! I'm jealous. No ballot tracking here in Washington State.
I really feel like our system should be the national model. It’s so safe and easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections