Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
Sorry, but I am aware of what it's like. I grew up and worked in NYC for most of my life. You could walk down the sidewalk wearing nothing but Trump pasties and no one would pay you any attention.
You obviously have not been back since 2016. Nice try, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 08:49 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
You, thomass and Ayra ignored the rest of the points in my post.

Phone and online polls aren't a threat to Trump supporters...
You can never be certain that the person on the other end isn't collecting information for nefarious purposes, and online polls are just as, if not more, risky.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:55 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
To those who say they can safely voice their support for Biden, I will only say this:

I wish I had a dollar for every conservative that would do harm to a liberal supporting Biden, that I could invest in the stock market, and then turn around and sell the stocks at a rate equivalent to a dollar for every liberal who would do harm to a conservative showing their support to Trump. I would have a very nice retirement nest egg.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:58 AM

494 posts, read 179,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
You obviously have not been back since 2016. Nice try, though.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. NY/NJ doesn't matter anyway because it always goes Blue.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:06 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
I am a "hidden" Trump voter, as is my husband. I speak my mind here because I am anonymous, but I won't even post anything political on Facebook, put out a yard sign, or discuss politics with anyone I know isn't a die hard Trump supporter because everyone I know who votes Democrat has a mean side to them when it comes to politics, they can't seem to just live and let live. I have some cousins and friends on FB, for example, who don't live nearby and who support Biden and I know that if I posted anything in support of the President they would feel differently about me and get nasty. I am a very live and let live person, I never comment negatively on their political posts, I feel that everyone is free to their own opinion but unfortunately, I can't count on that from others. This was also the case with both Bushes, McCain, and Romney, but not nearly as bad as it is now.

I think a lot of middle-aged women who were raised to be "people pleasers" and polite at all costs are in the same boat. We don't want to make waves and cause conflict, we were raised that that is rude. I think a lot of people on this forum say things here under cover of a made up SN that they wouldn't dream of saying to the other people to their face, I guess that is pretty much how internet forums work, though. You can vent because no one knows who you are and you can walk away and forget about the other people on the forum, just as they walk away and forget about you.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:23 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,897,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Because of the perceived increase of violence and property crimes being committed since 2016, the fact that the polls are showing a slightly higher advantage to Biden over what Hillary had at this time, might not make a difference when it comes to the election.

I say perceived, because I haven't researched it. It is, however, the general feeling I have and a lot of other people have voiced as their concerns, based on the news stories, such as Portland, Kenosha, Seattle etc.

It does not seem very difficult to equate the rioting in the aftermath of a police shooting, even if justified, of any black person, to a similar reaction to anyone openly supporting a law and order presidential candidate.

One might also consider the greater fear nowadays of your privacy more likely being violated these days, and that your opinion might be divulged to the wrong people.

This thinking on my part gives me a level of confidence that Trump will win re-election.

There was actually a 2015 study that demonstrated riots and looting help skew voters more conservative.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:23 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. NY/NJ doesn't matter anyway because it always goes Blue.
Agreed. Since my vote for President doesn't matter and I am not happy about either candidate for President I am not voting for either ticket.. I will vote down ticket though.
If you go up state there is a lot of Trump supporters where it is welcome and accepted. Downstate, not so much. I personally know one Trump supporter who has a Trump flag on his boat and no joke people refuse to pay for the boat slips around him because they don't want their boats or themselves anywhere near him! True story.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:26 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I do think there are more people just keeping their mouth shut this cycle and voting Trump. When pop culture supports Biden, including numerous celebrities, athletes, talk show hosts, most of the media, it's not quite as cool to be a Trump supporter.

I think there are more people just keeping their mouth shut this cycle and voting Trump. How many is very difficult to say. I look at Wisconsin in 2016 who had Clinton +6, +6, +8 in the last three polls and then Trump won. Or Michigan, if you take out Trafalgar, had Clinton +4, +6, +5, +5.

I know the actual voting will be closer than the polls are showing, but by how much is impossible to say. The last 4 polls in Wisconsin had a tie, Biden +5, Biden +17, Biden +9. Does anyone think Biden will win Wisconsin by 17?

Old 10-28-2020, 09:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Saturday I will go vote if I am harassed and threatened we will know that 1939 Germany and the brown shirts are here
And that what our parents fought against has come back in the form of -not foreigners -but our own children

Old 10-28-2020, 09:37 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Society has pretty much made it impossible to openly support Trump. This is not anything new. I agree with a post above that indicated that this phenomena is probably much worse this time around. People that go to rallies or wave trump flags represent a tiny minority of the trump vote.

I believe this.

I live and work in Loony Liberal land where the Biden signs outnumber the Trump signs 100 to 1. I don't know if this has to do with where I live or the fact that Trump signs are targets for vandalize and theft? In front of some houses there has been non stop anti Trump messaging since he dared to win in 2016.

In my area if one chooses to wear a Trump hat, to fly a Trump flag, to put a bumper sticker on a vehicle or to show up to a sidewalk rally for Trump you do so at your own risk.

The Democrats have successfully shut down any shows of support for Trump and to do so you risk a shutdown of your business and reputation.

It really is terrible that so many have been brainwashed to violence.

Here on CD there is relative safety to show support for Trump.

I hope that we will see an overwhelming wave of support for him on election day to the point that Biden has no choice but to concede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections