Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,764 posts, read 40,078,946 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press: Obama's appeal to working-class whites faltering, polls show (broken link)
Quote:
Barack Obama's problem winning votes from working-class whites is showing no sign of going away, and their impression of him is getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 PM

60 posts, read 78,380 times
thats their problem , NOT obama's

Old 05-03-2008, 09:34 PM

690 posts, read 1,013,565 times
I really think you need to read this...
The Field » Operation Anti-Chaos: The Narrative on “White Voters” Is Fiction (http://ruralvotes.com/thefield/?p=1144 - broken link)

It tells a really different story...

Old 05-03-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
I really think you need to read this...
The Field » Operation Anti-Chaos: The Narrative on “White Voters” Is Fiction (http://ruralvotes.com/thefield/?p=1144 - broken link)

It tells a really different story...
As long as the Indies are still onboard is what matters; remember the Reagan Democrats deserted the party.......How can u rely on a bunch of deserters??

Old 05-03-2008, 10:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,459,257 times
The media needs to start talking about Hillary winning more of the black vote. She is losing them by 90% in these last primaries which is just as much as an issue. She will not win without the black vote and she pretty much has them P'd off right now so she has problems of her own.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,330,011 times
Obama NEVER appealed to this segment. Who cares?

Maybe I can find polls where Hillary is losing her appeal to liberal lipstick lesbians or moderate conservative transgendered mexicans, post these here.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Maybe I can find polls where Hillary is losing her appeal to liberal lipstick lesbians or moderate conservative transgendered mexicans, post these here.
dont forget the pansies

Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,915,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Sorry to interrupt your daily cheerleading but I'm guessing the white, working class is a tad bigger (and more important) segment of the population than the two groups you mentioned above. It probably is something he should care about.

You can now get back to your pom-poms.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,952,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme two View Post
thats their problem , NOT obama's
No it is an American problem and regardless of the outcome this election will haunt us for years. This election is playing out like politics in Iraq. I only wonder when the actual bombing of the opposition camps will start. Do your really think this is a pretty process to the outside world? What little moral authority we have left is going down the tube. The opportunity for either candidate to unify the middle class so they can become more involved in the realization of all possible in America is going down the drain. My status as a have is not being shattered it is those who I once was similar to who are seeing their piece of the pie being eaten by others. Oh well the educated prosper because they are.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,237,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
No it is an American problem and regardless of the outcome this election will haunt us for years. This election is playing out like politics in Iraq. I only wonder when the actual bombing of the opposition camps will start. Do your really think this is a pretty process to the outside world? What little moral authority we have left is going down the tube. The opportunity for either candidate to unify the middle class so they can become more involved in the realization of all possible in America is going down the drain. My status as a have is not being shattered it is those who I once was similar to who are seeing their piece of the pie being eaten by others. Oh well the educated prosper because they are.
Good points, Tuborg. The in-fighting is discouraging to many of us watching this unfold. And now talk of a nasty fight at the DEM convention - shades of 40 years ago (surely we don't need that?????)

The Democratic party is in upheaval and even tho I am a registered Republican, I am disturbed by it. I hate seeing it as it is not good for this country at all. Seems we are getting more divided, rather than united. Now we all know that the polls have always shown Hillary Clinton gets a very divided response . . . but I think there were many of us (crossing all boundaries, barriers and registrations!) who saw Obama as a UNITER and the right person at the right time to take this country forward.

As for moral authority . . . I don't know. Do we still have any? The neocons have so thoroughly demolished the GOP . . . so the GOP has already been divided . . . and so many of us feel abandoned by our party . . .

It is a really strange time in American politics. The voter is left w/ conflicting impressions . . . too many sound bites and not enuff substance, I guess. Even the debates seemed too contrived to be very meaningful.

Do any of these national candidates really appeal to the working-class? And how, if so? Empty promises?

"I'll stand up for you" - what does that MEAN?

"Yes we can - let's have change" - what does that MEAN?

The working class just knows the value of the dollar has fallen, jobs have been outsourced and lost, China and Dubai own our debt, our healthcare system is over priced . . . and the only people that are getting a "hand up" are those on entitlements getting a "handout." The working poor don't qualify for SQUAT, including Medicaid . . .

So who has anything to offer as far as solutions for the working class?

I keep squinting on the horizon to see that candidate step forward.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-04-2008 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections