Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,951,685 times

Advertisements

I have a silly question. In a general election it would be impossible to deny an individual's vote without a challenge going all the way to the supreme court. Why is it different in a primary? I am not asking for anyone's opinion, I would like an answer based of some legal reasoning. Why hasn't anyone, individual, group, taken this to court? I really don't care because I am not voting for either but if I was a voter from Florida or Michigan I would be looking for an attorney to represent me and take it as far as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM

439 posts, read 607,719 times
They tried to take it to court. They lost.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,146,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I have a silly question. In a general election it would be impossible to deny an individual's vote without a challenge going all the way to the supreme court. Why is it different in a primary? I am not asking for anyone's opinion, I would like an answer based of some legal reasoning. Why hasn't anyone, individual, group, taken this to court? I really don't care because I am not voting for either but if I was a voter from Florida or Michigan I would be looking for an attorney to represent me and take it as far as I can.
Because the idea of an open primary where it is up to the voters to decide is really only a few decades old. You aren't choosing whom to represent the public, you're choosing whom to represent a party. There's a big difference.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 PM

857 posts, read 2,008,447 times
For the life of me, I can't understand why this is so hard for folks to grasp.
FL & MI knowingly moved their primaries ahead of the earliest date. The DNC told them if they did so, they would be in violation and their votes would not count.

What's the problem?

Old 05-05-2008, 04:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,430,987 times
Yeah, the other posters are right. The party bigwigs in both Michigan and Florida knew what they were doing and knew what the party response would be - and they did it anyway. Unless the party wants ALL STATES to hold their primaries at the same time, they MUST hold the line or that is exactly what WILL happen - all states will eventually move their primaries up to the very same day so as to feel that they are able to affect the election before the decision is already made by the other states.

Not saying that is not a desirable thing in some ways, but clearly the parties don't feel that way.

As far as having your rights violated - well, you really have no rights in this regard. You have a right to vote in the general election, but the individual parties set their own rules on how their candidates are elected.

Ken

Old 05-05-2008, 05:06 PM

439 posts, read 607,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, the other posters are right. The party bigwigs in both Michigan and Florida knew what they were doing and knew what the party response would be - and they did it anyway. Unless the party wants ALL STATES to hold their primaries at the same time, they MUST hold the line or that is exactly what WILL happen - all states will eventually move their primaries up to the very same day so as to feel that they are able to affect the election before the decision is already made by the other states.

Not saying that is not a desirable thing in some ways, but clearly the parties don't feel that way.

As far as having your rights violated - well, you really have no rights in this regard. You have a right to vote in the general election, but the individual parties set their own rules on how their candidates are elected.

Ken
Well said Ken: I feel though that no explanation is going to be good enough for the Hillary Supporters on this board. Now I can just image what would be said if it was Barack who was behind and was trying this on the Hillary Campaign. All candidate signed the pledge. She's the only one besides the two States that broke the rules. And as the DNC has said over and over and over again these delegates will be seated somehow as long as it is fair to both candidates. MI suggested a 50/50 split. Hillary won't accept this as she need them all to make a difference. You see where I am going with this. She wants and needs all delegates in MI.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
FL & MI knowingly moved their primaries ahead of the earliest date. The DNC told them if they did so, they would be in violation and their votes would not count.

What's the problem?
The problem is that the voters had no choice, vote then or don't vote at all. What is more important an individual's vote or the stupid DNC. This is why the Democrats are in disarray. They just don't have the smarts to do it right by the people. This bode well for the Republicans whether it is now or the next election, the Democrats are pissing a lot of their voters off.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,626,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post

What's the problem?
The problem is the DNC doesnt have the right to choose who's vote count and whose doesnt count.
They have no right to make this decision and I would like a link to the court case about this because I have never heard this one before.

In the end the votes will count, why shouldnt they count? Your vote shouldnt count in your state then either?

One person, one vote, remember the 2004 election, the DNC used this, now they are not.

No wonder the democratic party is such a mess, disorganized and lawbreaking.

What happen to all the liberal whiners who whined all the time about Bush not using the constitution??? Where did you all go? Because according to the constitution they have a right to be counted.

Stand up Florida and Michigan, sue the DNC into the ground, you have a right to be counted and should bankrupt the phony scam artist.

If Obama would have won those states instead of LOSING those state you would see all the Obama fan club member saying just the opposite.

FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN VOTES SHOULD BE COUNTED. PERIOD !

Nobama 08
He is a scam artist

Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,628,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
The problem is that the voters had no choice, vote then or don't vote at all. What is more important an individual's vote or the stupid DNC. This is why the Democrats are in disarray. They just don't have the smarts to do it right by the people. This bode well for the Republicans whether it is now or the next election, the Democrats are pissing a lot of their voters off.
The problem for the voters is in their state rather than the DNC. They knowingly violated the rules after being told what would happen. If the residents want to be angry, they should be angry at the state party.

Given that it's a process run by the DNC to pick their candidate, and it goes by their rules, I would say the DNC is pretty important.

I do agree that the democrats are upsetting a lot of voters.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The problem for the voters is in their state rather than the DNC. They knowingly violated the rules after being told what would happen. If the residents want to be angry, they should be angry at the state party.

Given that it's a process run by the DNC to pick their candidate, and it goes by their rules, I would say the DNC is pretty important.

I do agree that the democrats are upsetting a lot of voters.
I am sure that the rest of the world thinks this is bizarre. And we thought the Florida debacle was bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections