Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 05:08 PM

1,231 posts, read 448,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandee38 View Post
This is so stupid. The GOP is dead
The GOP is the party of Trump sycophants and QAnon now. Where are the GOP that puts country over party and follows the laws and constitution. Now they just make it all up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 05:12 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
This is Hawley’s first campaign move to position to win the 2024 Republican nomination.
I agree with that. He just wants to be the first one to stake a claim to be "The Next Trump" when it comes to the 2024 election. There will be others and they will all be tripping over themselves to see who can be the "Trumpiest"!

Everyone knows that it isn't going to change the election results. Just more political theater. And somewhere down the line, I'm sure that he will be asking for money to help in his fight

Old 12-30-2020, 05:23 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
If I was a member of Congress I would challenge the legitimacy of Sen. Hawleys election. I mean why not?

Old 12-30-2020, 06:01 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
If I was a member of Congress I would challenge the legitimacy of Sen. Hawleys election. I mean why not?

and you would be right to do so..he lives full time in Virginia while claiming residency from his sisters house in Missouri..he's done before he even gets started..

Old 12-30-2020, 06:08 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I shall copy and paste what I wrote in yet another thread about this issue:

The event of January 6th is not a trial, and is not a hearing.

Here is what one Constitutional law expert wrote recently:

"The Constitution and the Electoral Count Act of 1887 intended the January 6th session to address a narrow question: Are the electoral votes received by Congress ones cast by electors the states appointed?"

Back in the 1800s, the electoral college votes were delivered via horseback from the various state capitals. There was a fear that the messenger would be waylaid and the votes exchanged. Indeed, it is one reason that each state, upon certification of the electoral votes, make six copies.

There is no question that the envelops that Mr. Pence will ceremonially open on January 6th are the same transmitted by the various states.

Yes, one Representative and one Senator can force each chamber to meet in their respective chambers to debate the matter raised, for two hours and not one minute longer. No evidence from the outside is introduced. No YouTube, no tweets, no nothing. The vast majority of the members will simply sit and look bored for two hours. A few may make speeches. Then, each chamber votes. The House will vote to accept the electoral college votes as presented. The Senate will end up doing the same.

Mr. Pence cannot substitute his judgement. A monkey can do his job, which is to open the envelopes and read the allocation of votes therein. That is it.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,527,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
he's going down with the ship..

Old 12-30-2020, 07:32 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
He is one of the "adults". So, you've got it all wrong.
Wasting time on irrelevant political theater is being an adult?

His objections won't change anything.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:49 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Wasting time on irrelevant political theater is being an adult?

His objections won't change anything.
Sure, if it was "irrelevant", then you would be correct. However, it's not "irrelevant". Nor is it "political theater".

Old 12-30-2020, 07:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
In his statement, Hawley said he "feels compelled to highlight purported election irregularities and investigate allegations of voter fraud............"

SIGH.

This Republican Act is wearing mighty thin.

Trump disbanded his "voter fraud" commission from 2017 because they found nothing. Every claim of voter fraud by the Republicans finds nothing. The Justice Department and AG Barr found nothing. Election officials of both parties have found nothing and see nothing. The FBI and state bureaus have found nothing. Homeland Security and Trump's own chief security expert found nothing...saw nothing. The courts--- up and down the court system, throughout the nation, including SCOTUS---- found nothing. The only documented fraud cases in Pennsylvania ( The Commonwealth where I reside) involved Republicans committing fraud for President Donald Trump...3 btw.

If you ask a Republican voter if there is voter fraud they'll tell you it's massive and it's all Democrats. So the point of another "investigation" is to keep the sham idea alive in Republican voters' minds. It's all about the idea. The damn phony idea and repetitive lie.
But I thought the excuse was that the voter fraud commission in 2017 could not do an investigation for vote fraud, because the states wouldn't allow a close look at their voting systems.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:05 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Jeez, and here I always thought one needed proof to allege wrong doing.

whadda I know?

All it takes is a suspicion.

Just like when POTUS Trump was asked how he knew Obama spied on him, he replied' I had a gut feeling'.
He was right! The Obama Administration did spy on him and his campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections