Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,030,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Yeah, like Hillary Clinton pretending to have a southern accent at a rally in Arkansas, or using a twang in her voice in a rally in North Carolina?
Uh, hello, she lived in Arkansas for many years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,468,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
He needs to be very careful with this. Any hint of arrogance will be jumped on and could blow up in his face.
I am sure some people not supporting Obama are hoping this all blows up in his face but Obama has not been portrayed as arrogant at all since Tuesday night. Obama has been very respectful to Hillary by not assuming he has the nomination yet even though it looks very good for him. He has received many praises by political analyst who have all agreed, and that is not often, he is handling all his interviews extremely well and appears confident, not arrogant. Here is Wolf's summary on the interview.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Having interviewed Senator Barack Obama on several occasions in recent years, I must say he seemed very relaxed and at ease when we spoke in The Situation Room today. On earlier occasions, he often seemed more wound up and intense. That was certainly true during the four Democratic presidential debates that I moderated over the past year. On this day, however, he seemed very comfortable and very confident. And with good reason.

I showed him the new issue of Time magazine, which features him on the cover, along with the words: “And the winner is…” Asked for his reaction, he said: “I don’t want to be jinxed. We’ve still got some work to do.” It reminded me of superstitious athletes who fear having their picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Obama could not have been more effusive in his praise of Hillary Clinton. He kept calling her an “extraordinary” candidate. In response to a video question from a CNN I-Reporter, he said Senator Clinton would certainly be “on anybody’s short list” as a vice presidential running mate. “But it would be presumptuous of me at this point when she is still actively running, when she is highly favored to win two of the next three contests, for me to somehow suggest that she should be a running mate,” he said. “At this point, I think we have to resolve this process and then we can figure it out.”

While he had nice things to say about Hillary Clinton, he didn’t hold back in criticizing his other opponent, John McCain, on a host of domestic economic and national security issues. He seemed ready to move on to the next chapter of his campaign.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Wolf Blitzer

Old 05-09-2008, 02:39 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,179,450 times
Wolf needs to stay off his knees.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:09 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,462,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Uh, hello, she lived in Arkansas for many years!
Doesn't matter. She doesn't normally carry around that accent, yet all of a sudden she does when at a rally in Arkansas? Fake. Phoney.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 AM

237 posts, read 299,509 times
Unless you speak several English dialects and or several foreign languages you wouldnt be qualified to opine on that. I for a fact speak several Spanish dialects (different accents and somewhat different vocabulary) and know people from , say, Jamaica, who speak like any "typical" american but can do jamaican style at seconds notice, so i think you should ferme la bouche questa volta.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,981,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Doesn't matter. She doesn't normally carry around that accent, yet all of a sudden she does when at a rally in Arkansas? Fake. Phoney.
Actually, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. I think most people who have lived in the south for awhile find it easy to slip into a southern accent, especially when talking with people who have strong accents. It's contagious.

I'm originally from the midwest (Cleveland) and my accent is midwestern. But I spent many years in Texas and a few in Arkansas and Virginia. I now live in Georgia. As a result I picked up a variety of accents that come and go (and I don't usually notice it.)

I lived in California, Chicago, and Denver, too. California added some surfer phrases to my speech. And after 3 years in Colorado I now say "warsh." As in "I'm going to warsh the dishes."

Old 05-09-2008, 10:50 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,590,276 times
based on this video clip, he sure was treated like the nominee. Reporters were asking him about making Hillary his running mate

Obama Takes First Steps To Unify Dems, Washington Post: Campaign Seeks To Win Over Superdelegates As Clinton Gives No Hint She'll Surrender - CBS News (broken link)

Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
Cool Obama 08!

Although I am VERY PRO OBAMA, I have to reply to this.
Whether good or bad, have we not learned yet to NEVER to believe what the media reports?
I have!
Please, as an African-American woman, I don't believe that our future President has been treated as the new President, because the there were no KKK protesters or PRO-Hillary protesters in view.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,590,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevennkisha4 View Post
Although I am VERY PRO OBAMA, I have to reply to this.
Whether good or bad, have we not learned yet to NEVER to believe what the media reports?
I have!
Please, as an African-American woman, I don't believe that our future President has been treated as the new President, because the there were no KKK protesters or PRO-Hillary protesters in view.
true. But you know there have been threats on Obama's life from KKK members as early as last spring. Thats why he sought secret service protection about a year ago.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:07 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,397,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
true. But you know there have been threats on Obama's life from KKK members as early as last spring. Thats why he sought secret service protection about a year ago.
There were some KKK-like supporters here back when we did our now worthless vote and they were supporting Obama because "can't no woman run the country" go figure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections