Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:27 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,651,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
While I don't really expect any honesty, all the same, take a moment to try 10 sample (from 100) question from the dept of immigration and naturalization in order to become a citizen.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package..._Questions.pdf

While we may never know, YOU will.
Wow. I did pretty good...*didn't remember Woodrow Wilson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,235,714 times
Lets make the attempt to keep this remotely related to the topic which is...

If Only Educated People Were Allowed to Vote.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Ok, If only the educated were allowed to vote, who establishes the standard for what passes as educated? Surely the person who has been on the planet the longest possesses more wisdom, yet may not have attended one of those high fa luting educational places...so who sets the standard and how is it enforced. Do we consequently remove the age requirement, what if a 6 year old can meet the standard?

Old 05-10-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Ok, If only the educated were allowed to vote, who establishes the standard for what passes as educated? Surely the person who has been on the planet the longest possesses more wisdom, yet may not have attended one of those high fa luting educational places...so who sets the standard and how is it enforced. Do we consequently remove the age requirement, what if a 6 year old can meet the standard?
Get at least a 70% passing grade on that test I posted and you get a ballot.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Get at least a 70% passing grade on that test I posted and you get a ballot.
So the age requirements out, how about criminals?

Old 05-10-2008, 02:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 9,260,640 times
Should we go back to property owners only being able to vote too? That would change quite a few things.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:47 PM

I suspect you'd eliminate quite a few people, but you involve quite a few unexpectedly as well.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
So the age requirements out, how about criminals?
Well I personally wouldn't care if a bright and educated 16 year old could vote. Considering our current voting base, I doubt anyone would notice other than the sharp rise in the grading curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Should we go back to property owners only being able to vote too? That would change quite a few things.
I think they tried this and it went down in flames. Excludes those folks who are fluid and rent. Although someone did once mention something about a system through federal taxes. After all, the IRS knows if there is 12 bucks missing from your return. (even if they can't verify whether Jose Rodriguez born in 1884 still qualifies for EIC)

Felons are one example of people being excluded from voting and to be frank, I'm not entirely sure why. Most criminals who are never caught go on to very long careers in government service.

Humor aside, I would just be happy if some event cause the general population of America to become more active in the political process, such as taking place this cycle. I admit I rely upon the internet despite its flaws, to be able to offer raw information and let people engage and decide on their own. While they may make some bad choices, in time, just being immersed in the process will lead to better, more aware and educated voters. IMO

Old 05-10-2008, 02:59 PM

4,300 posts, read 7,054,555 times
Quote:
If Only Educated People Were Allowed to Vote.
Allowing only educated people to vote comes off as very elitist to me. What you're doing is allowing one group of people control the entire population.

Being 'educated' does not make you better than anyone else; It does not give you the right to pass judgment because of your 'education'.

Being educated also does not mean you automatically know what is best for everyone else, nor does it make your opinion matter more than anyone else's.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:02 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,311,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If Only Educated People Were Allowed to Vote...........this election would have been over a long time ago, and Barack Obama would be the hands-down winner.
Most of the people I know that are pro-Hillary are college educated and are not racist. We've got Harvard, MIT and Wellesley in MA, along with many fine institutions of higher learning and Hillary won the primary handily. And that even with the Kennedys' endorsement. Technically, all the MA super-delegates should switch their support from Obama to Hillary since MA "hands-down" went for Hillary.

If Obama wins, I hope that he takes our Gov. Deval Patrick away from us for some cabinet post. He is close to useless as our governor. He is yet another well educated new to politics politician that is learning as he goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections