U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 AM

4,825 posts, read 13,577,539 times

Advertisements

Change... everybody wants change, including me. I want to "change" the economy back to before November 1, 2006. Gasoline 1/2 price, food 1/2 price, houses selling, first time home buyers buying, inflation less than 1%. Who changed all that? If I remember correctly, there was a change in 2006 when we fired the GOP Congress and changed to a Demo Congress. Hmmmmmmm?

So, do we want the continued change that BHO/HRC preach that we need?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 04:19 PM

20,163 posts, read 22,772,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Change... everybody wants change, including me. I want to "change" the economy back to before November 1, 2006. Gasoline 1/2 price, food 1/2 price, houses selling, first time home buyers buying, inflation less than 1%. Who changed all that? If I remember correctly, there was a change in 2006 when we fired the GOP Congress and changed to a Demo Congress. Hmmmmmmm?

Now now. It's Bush's fault. Repeat that to yourself as often as necessary.

He talks funny and he looks like a monkey, remember?

'Twas his diction and his physiognomy that brought on the current malaise.

It has nothing to do with Nancy Pelosi's Botox smile or Barney Frank's rubbery lips.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,778,522 times
Quote:

There hasn't been a significant shift in economic policy since the Democrats took power, as they aren't powerful enough to overcome vetos. So the blame lies elsewhere.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:09 PM

20,463 posts, read 24,667,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
There hasn't been a significant shift in economic policy since the Democrats took power, as they aren't powerful enough to overcome vetos. So the blame lies elsewhere.
Indeed.
In fact Democrats are unhappy with the Congress because it hasn't really done much of ANYTHING.

Now, one could make the claim that SOME of these problems MAY have come about because of Congressional inaction - but that's the ONLY way to shift much blame onto the Democrats (and it's a VERY weak argument).

Ken

Old 05-14-2008, 06:08 PM

41,312 posts, read 42,404,785 times
Wait til all the ads come out with the high-brow promises from Soup-line Nancy and her gang.

They have worse approval ratings than "W".

A do-nothing congress. Most likely the most abysmal in half a century.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 PM

20,463 posts, read 24,667,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Wait til all the ads come out with the high-brow promises from Soup-line Nancy and her gang.

They have worse approval ratings than "W".
Wrong!

THEY don't have worse approval ratings than "W" - CONGRESS has worse approval ratings than "W". There's a subtle but important difference. CONGRESS includes the REPUBLICANS.

The Republicans disapprove of Congress because Democrats control it -

and

Democrats disapprove of Congress because they haven't managed to get anything done (because their margin of control is too narrow).

Ken

Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 PM

34,990 posts, read 36,958,055 times
Quote:

Okay. I'm an honest person. Here's what I initially wrote in reply to your post.

"So...you're saying the 110th Congress -
  • the House, which has 235 Dems to 199 Reps; and
  • the Senate, 49-49 and 2 (ostensibly Dem.-siding) Independents
- just about half and half, huh? actually? -

is responsible for:
  • gasoline prices doubling
  • food prices increasing
  • inflation - ? are you saying it was "less than 1%" -?
  • the subprime mortgage crisis
  • the deflation of the housing bubble (I suppose you don't like that it deflated)
  • and by extension the credit derivatives crisis
You know, there'll be elections Nov. 4 of this year. In the Senate, 23 Rep., 12 Dem. seats. In the House, all 435 seats are up for grabs! So cheer up - if the Republicans get their majority back, it'll be good, cheap times again starting in just six months!

(cites: I got these numbers from Wikipedia and the House and Senate official pages.)"

------------------------------------

I'd still like to hear your detailed answer as to how the present Congress is responsible for the above. However. In looking around on teh ininets I found this link below. I dont know anything about taxes (none of your above claims are affected by taxation except gas), but this was disturbing.

The Democratic Congress's 2008 Budget: A Tax and Spending Spree

So I'd like to say - no wonder Reps are mad, if this isn't just one of those "yes but" truthy pieces. (I know it's talking about taxes and that's off-topic from your post.)

Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,577,539 times
This thread has done exactly what I had hoped it would do. For the first time, in a long time, I am seeing honest debate. If we get honest and discuss issues without blaming either party, but looking at what we have and working from here forward, just imagine what we can do as Americans. I don't think we'll ever see peaceful collition in DC again, but gee, I wish we could.

I don't want to see racism whether it being 90% of blacks voting for Obama or 70% of whites voting for Hillary. I don't want Keith Oberman busting a vein as he did tonight in criticising the President. I don't want anything but our govenment working to make our nations and not their personal wealth greater.

I do want to believe in government like "Mr. Smith" again. I want to keep my tax money home because what is good for Maine isn't necessarily good for Alaska. I don't want the 9th Circuit telling me I shouldn't believe in God Blessing America.

I just want to live in peace, work hard, and not be condemned for not wanting to share my earnings with someone who chose not to work. I don't mind helping those who need help, but not those who become drugged on welfare and meth too.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 PM

403 posts, read 714,055 times
Inflation less than 1%. When was that?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 PM

5,274 posts, read 13,585,963 times
Quote:

It's all Bush's fault, remember? The economy, wars, weather, tornados, earthquake in China, Yankees being losers... All his fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections