Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,107,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
The flow of power ebbs and flows - that doesn't mean we aren't going to continue to be strong for many years to come. China will gain strength, the EU will gain strength - our power may slip for a bit, but in the end we will stay one of the few super powers - if no the only super power in the world.
No country that has 30% of it's income taken in taxes has ever survived. I paid 38% in 2007 as a self-employed individual. The dollar is falling against all major currencies. As soon as OPEC makes the decision to switch to Euros for pricing oil, we're done. US hegemony is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Government is for one thing: Protection. That's why governments were formed, that's why they continue. If we didn't need protection, then we'd be one big happy global family. However, because there are bad guys out there, we still have government. So why in the world would we want a guy who doesn't demonstrate in any way an ability to fulfill that obligation?
I'm far more worried about who will protect ME from my government than a handful of people that shouldn't be here because they've overstayed their visas. I'm also worried about what my government is doing that is destroying our currency.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,402,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I'm far more worried about who will protect ME from my government than a handful of people that shouldn't be here because they've overstayed their visas. I'm also worried about what my government is doing that is destroying our currency.
I suggest you check on your Congressional representatives.

Citizens Against Government Waste: (http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pagename=reports_pigbook2008 - broken link) Guaranteed, for every dollar they spent, they were voting yes for others doing the same.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I suggest you check on your Congressional representatives. Google "pork report".
You mean that 1% of the federal budget that actually gives back some of the money to the states and people who paid it. HOW HORRIBLE!

Give me a break. You want more more more. You just want it for yourself. That's the difference between liberals and conservatives. Conservatives want people to do for themselves. Liberals expect the government to take care of them, even protect them. None of these candidates can protect us. Not one.

Stop beating the rest of the world with bad policies that incite hatred against us. Stop destroying the dollar in a quest for world domination. Start talking and trading with people.

George Washington said it best, trade with countries, entangling alliances with none. Israel would be a good place to start. We give more money to her enemies than we do her. But she's supposed to be our bestest friend in the Middle East. How does that make sense?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,906,663 times
Quote:
No country that has 30% of it's income taken in taxes has ever survived. I paid 38% in 2007 as a self-employed individual. The dollar is falling against all major currencies. As soon as OPEC makes the decision to switch to Euros for pricing oil, we're done. US hegemony is over.
As unsure as any of might be about Obama his economic advisers are behaviorist and perhaps the new metrics are reflective of a different world order and without a change we are doomed to the status quo. The increase in capital gais to 28% didn't work to increase revenues before but that was with a different set of dynamics. Clinton and McCain are clearly a continuation of the last 20 years and much has changed in the world since then including the demise of American influence.

Stay the course Gertie them younguns want a say.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,402,736 times
Quote:
You mean that 1% of the federal budget that actually gives back some of the money to the states and people who paid it. HOW HORRIBLE!
It starts there. Get rid of the dirtbags who exploit the nation and the ones who replace them will be more likely to spend your money responsibly.

I think this is enough of a hijack. If you feel the need to vent some more, I'll PM a response. K?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:47 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,906,663 times
Smile "We Hold These Truths to be Self Evident"

Quote:
Yes, you bring me and I am sure others back to our university days and the origin of state.
http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/hrintro/wehold.htm (broken link)

Political Philosophy of John Locke [Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

Modern History Sourcebook: Rousseau: Social Contract, 1763

I wonder how many posters are actually familiar with much less read. Use to be standard reading in Pol Sci 101 and up. Should be and is great discussion fodder in an election year but not in here. We came in from the State of Nature to form government to be protected from. Not to be attacked by.That is the foundation of a liberal democracy (historical definition of liberal not modern).

Dept. of State: International Information Programs: Publications - Introduction to Human Rights - "We Hold These Truths To Be Self Evident..." (http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/hrintro/wehold.htm - broken link)

Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Once the Democrats get their act together and make Obama the nominee, that debate will take place. I'm not sure that Obama will be so happy once it takes place and he can no longer try to connect Bush's policies to McCain.
He doesn't want to debate Hillary....is he going to avoid McCain aswell...?
Obama probable needs his advisors whisper in his ear otherwise the damage will be biggger for the cry baby.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,815,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The question of judgement on this issue of Iraq is not one John McCain wants to answer-especially since Obama was against it from day one.
And Obama has funded it since day two

Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 PM

654 posts, read 1,207,154 times
Quote:
I don't care why. What I do care about is whether or not my leader is willing to make tough decisions. If Obama can't make touch decisions, if there's absolutely no indication that he has what it takes to push the button, then he's not worthy of the position.

Government is for one thing: Protection. That's why governments were formed, that's why they continue. If we didn't need protection, then we'd be one big happy global family. However, because there are bad guys out there, we still have government. So why in the world would we want a guy who doesn't demonstrate in any way an ability to fulfill that obligation?

I'm sorry. I trust that Hillary could push the button. I might not have before, but her tenacity means something today. I trust that McCain could push the button. I trust that Obama would wait for more information.

When time is of the essense, and it always is, you need someone who'll move forward when there's not enough info to move forward with. You need someone who's fearless. That's not Barack Obama.

What ^he said!

All the lofty platitudes of 'change for hope' and 'hope for change' are cute and all, but it should by now be painfully obvious to most rational people that Obama is little more than an empty suit with a nice smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections