Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

King George will abidicate his throne to King John?

McCain embraces Bush's radical views of executive power - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:35 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Correction:

King Juan McCain.

Get it right next time.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
While I enjoy some of Greenwald's material, I am going to comment before actually reading it.

First, I highly doubt President Bush has a very deep fundamental grasp of basic government constructs, let alone the assertion that hold the "radical" view of Executive office power consolidation.

However, on the other hand, Dick Cheney has devoted a great deal of his career to this endeavor. Cheney as far back as the Nixon administration advocated the position that the Executive Branch should hold the greatest power. He even encouraged Nixon to fight against calls for impeachment, and who knew at the time that this would only be a sign of things to come.

I do not believe that it is even a radical concept that people may believe that one branch of government or another should hold more or less power. This is something that has been debated by many since the inception of this country and I suspect will continue long after we are gone.

While I think the last thing we need is another Cesar dropping Asp's into the beds of Senators during the night, I wouldn't worry too much about ole Georgie boy, I would worry more about that guy with his hand up his coat.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I read the garbage. I don't think I care to read anything else this person has to say.

I am glad that the democratic candidates are trying to link Bush and McCain. As history has shown, it will help McCain's chances to be president. Governments don't usually change leadership during a war. If the democrats want to defeat themselves that is just fine.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I read the garbage. I don't think I care to read anything else this person has to say.

I am glad that the democratic candidates are trying to link Bush and McCain. As history has shown, it will help McCain's chances to be president. Governments don't usually change leadership during a war. If the democrats want to defeat themselves that is just fine.
Which is really quite a scary thought if the war last forever, especially when you wage wars on something as bizarre as a warfare tactic

Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Which is really quite a scary thought if the war last forever, especially when you wage wars on something as bizarre as a warfare tactic
That's actually pretty clever...kudos. Wasn't the Vietnam War known as the "War on Guerrilla"?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
That's actually pretty clever...kudos. Wasn't the Vietnam War known as the "War on Guerrilla"?
Merely stating the obvious, and I do believe you are thinking of the 10,000 day war, but it is hard to miss that 600lb Guerrilla.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,423 times
Keep on dreamng Obamakins, we all know McCain is not even close to Bush in almost every important category.
Your comparing leaves me to believe you are scared and using the fear factor to convince people they are when they are not even close.

Now, executive power, how the heck can a liberal talk about executive power out of one side of your mouth yet the all important liberal judges we need to ditch are making and creating laws from the bench? What the heck is the difference? NONE !

I would much rather have a President using his lawful powers making decisions then a bunch of wacko liberal judges taking away the voters rights and making laws as they go.

Stop pushing this because it will come back to haunt you, the supreme court, excuse me, I mean the wacko supreme court justices we currently have read foreign laws to make decisions, now how stupid it that.

You cannot have it both ways liberals, either you follow the constitution or you do not. Stop thinking it is ok when you want it and its not ok when it doesnt benefit you.

Radical, give me a break, there is nothing more radical then a far left wing nutcase judge or senator. Uhmm Obama is at the far left as one can get.

Nice try again!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
"W" is just reclaiming executive power that other presidents ceded to congress and the courts.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
"W" is just reclaiming executive power that other presidents ceded to congress and the courts.
Which powers were those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections