Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:18 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No, they wouldn't. Why? They would be deathly afraid of a Sharpton march on the DNC (which he has threatened to do) and the outcries from Obama's supporters. But they are not showing the same sensitivity toward those who believe Hillary is the better candidate who would have a much better chance of beating McCain. Why is that? Could it be that they dismiss us as "uneducated hicks who are afraid of black people," as Obama himself and his supporters have done?

As for #2, when Hillary wins, it's dismissed by using the demographics. Things like, "Oh, well, it's just the uneducated white people voting for her" or "Oh, well, that state has a high Hispanic population and the Hispanics don't like black people." When HE wins, it's hailed as this big triumph that "even white people are voting for him!" No matter how they spin it, we lose.
Oh I can't quite believe that. A sharpton march on the DNC would not happen if Obama lost the nomination fair & square. If there was some shady dealings going on he would probably be out there. I know you would want to believe differently but I think it would happen under those circumstances only.

Hillary did have big wins in WV and KY. I think you start to hear people talk about uneducated voters when polls come out about race being a factor when voting. The media, not the DNC has a lot(probably too much) to do with that line of thinking. It's reiterated on John King's magic map every day!

To reiterate, before you go down that road I don't believe that voting based on race & gender only is the thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Why are you twisting my words? I haven't said that you are stupid or whatsoever, I just feel like all your talking points make no sense. Some might do!
If you called me "stupid" outright, I could report the post. But saying that my posts "never make sense" means effectively the same thing but is a hair on this side of the line before becoming a personal attack. I'm not blind to the tactics used here. However, it is STILL ad hominem.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,722 times
Quote:
If you called me "stupid" outright, I could report the post. But saying that my posts "never make sense" means effectively the same thing but is a hair on this side of the line before becoming a personal attack. I'm not blind to the tactics used here. However, it is STILL ad hominem.
Whatever! Criticism is part of life, one gotta adapt to it.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Oh I can't quite believe that. A sharpton march on the DNC would not happen if Obama lost the nomination fair & square. If there was some shady dealings going on he would probably be out there. I know you would want to believe differently but I think it would happen under those circumstances only.

Hillary did have big wins in WV and KY. I think you start to hear people talk about uneducated voters when polls come out about race being a factor when voting. The media, not the DNC has a lot(probably too much) to do with that line of thinking. It's reiterated on John King's magic map every day!

To reiterate, before you go down that road I don't believe that voting based on race & gender only is the thing to do.
Hillary has won many more states besides WV and KY but her wins are ALWAYS spun the same way.

And Sharpton has never let facts and "fairness" stand in the way of a good rage and protest.
Al Sharpton: The Democrat's David Duke by Jeff Jacoby -- Capitalism Magazine

Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
I heard most of it tonight, and I thought it was very nice and inspiring.

She mentioned a couple of times about working together to make sure a Democrat reclaims the White House this year.

I've asked this question before but I don't think it created much discussion so i'll ask again:

To the Hillary supporters who will vote for McCain in November, how do you feel about her comments?
Thought we might want to remember the postive note this thread started on before it became personal.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Hillary has won many more states besides WV and KY but her wins are ALWAYS spun the same way.

And Sharpton has never let facts and "fairness" stand in the way of a good rage and protest.
Al Sharpton: The Democrat's David Duke by Jeff Jacoby -- Capitalism Magazine
Do you think any of the way that her wins have been spun have anything to do with the comment she made about having the support of hard working white Americans?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Do you think any of the way that her wins have been spun have anything to do with the comment she made about having the support of hard working white Americans?
How could it have been? Those wins came long before that comment was highlighted and spun.

Last edited by teatime; 05-21-2008 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
How could it have been? Those wins came long before that comment was highlighted and spun.
Hmmm...

It would seem to me that if she or mors specifically her staff didn't agree with that, they wouldn't have put that comment into te mix.

It almost seemed as though since it was working she ran with it.

That's probably going off topic though...So ill go back to the original question to Hillary supporters:

What are your thoughts on Hillary saying that it would be a grave error to vote for McCain?

Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Let me guess.......you are not from KY or WV. Great then!
How'd you guess ? I actually have family from WV, I love 'em, but they are just a little bit off

Old 05-21-2008, 03:39 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
OK 2 more questions:

If the shoe was on the other foot wouldn't the party expect for Obama to fall in line as well? From what I see all of the previous candidates have, because they see it as important that the party is unified.

#2: How can you say the DNC is not valuing the views of the people when the voting numbers tell a different tale?
do you think for a minute that obama and his supporters would fall in line if hillary somehow got the nomination? she still is the best chance for the democratic party in the general election. the problem the democrats have always had is that they want to lean too far to the left and that alienates many moderates and just about all conservatives. now obama has alienated the "working class" democrats, which is evidenced by the fact that he has lost 7 out of the last 9 in the democratic primaries. that is mind-boggling and certainly does not bode well for the general election!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections